Will a new air filter improve mpg and other questions - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > MPG Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2010, 09:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Will a new air filter improve mpg and other questions

I've been wanting to change my air filter since buying my car a little over 3 months ago. I don't even know what its condition is since I can't open the air box without removing some other things. I might be better off having a new filter to put in if I'm going to go through all that trouble just to check.

What air filter to use? Can't go wrong with Honda Genuine, but I was wondering if any of the Ebay filters are any good for a lesser price.

Changing the air filter seems pretty straight forward. Other than unlatching the 4 clips, what other things do I need to detach before I can open the air box? Looks like 2 "hoses" on the left side of the box need to be detached before the lid can lift off.
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2010, 10:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

i dont think you really have to remove all those hoses. When I do it, I just unlatch the 4 latches and lift up the top enough to slide the filter out from the right side.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

The answer to the original question is pretty obvious.

The remove or inspect your air cleaner nothing needs to be removed, no tools needed as it is only the few snaps unless your car has been modified.

As to what air cleaner - some go with K&N (some think is sounds better, some like the fact that they think it adds some performance, this will be at the cost of it not cleaning s well). I personally stick with stock.

When you do replace it take a damp rag and wipe out the air filter box and hoses as best you can, you'll find lots of dirt and grit in there that you could stop from heading to the engine.

Again, as a rule - I ALWAYS replace all fluids, oil filter, air filter, and plugs when I buy a used car to make sure things are right... even if it was just serviced by a dealer... cheap insurance!
Leeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2010, 08:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Generally a new air filter will improve performance under high engine speed operation but since late model cars operate by measuring the air flow or manifold pressure, you don't lose much MPG until things get really bad. Having a clogged filter would mean that you rag on it a bit more to get what you want from it when you really want to get moving.

When I bought my car it had a K&N installed, I promptly bought a paper filter and have the K&N sitting in the box that I bought a paper filter in. I generally don't like the picky cleaning and oiling regimen of oiled gauze filters, and if you don't get it oiled perfectly you've got dirt ingestion. I don't have a cleaning kit for mine so the choice was easy for me to go back to a standard paper filter.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

The air filter could really help...

My daughter had trouble starting her Toyota Echo about one month ago.

The car would crank very strongly, but simply not fire. My wife noticed a slight smell of fuel. I did get the car to start, but only after holding the throttle wide open until the engine fired.

After much head scratching my wife mentioned changing the plugs and air filter to see what would happen.

Well, she was absolutely correct, as the stock filter was badly plugged, looking quite dark on the air inlet side.

After changing out the components, the car started immediately, just like normal.

Jim.

Tail Extension:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3-Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2010, 01:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeper View Post
The answer to the original question is pretty obvious.

The remove or inspect your air cleaner nothing needs to be removed, no tools needed as it is only the few snaps unless your car has been modified.

As to what air cleaner - some go with K&N (some think is sounds better, some like the fact that they think it adds some performance, this will be at the cost of it not cleaning s well). I personally stick with stock.

When you do replace it take a damp rag and wipe out the air filter box and hoses as best you can, you'll find lots of dirt and grit in there that you could stop from heading to the engine.

Again, as a rule - I ALWAYS replace all fluids, oil filter, air filter, and plugs when I buy a used car to make sure things are right... even if it was just serviced by a dealer... cheap insurance!
Leeper, that's the thing. I'm not sure! I've read differing opinions where some people say they didn't notice any change in mpg while others say there was an improvement.

I'm sure there must be some improvement, but is it noticeable? Will I see it and feel more power?

I agree, the filter should have been changed asap, considering that I don't know what its condition is or when it was last changed. Might as well change the air cabin filter too. Though the PO did say that was changed "recently."
Old 12-18-2010, 03:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

When I said "the answer is obvious" I meant that if it is totally clogged then yes, if it is new then no, if it various in between then so might your mileage. The question would be the same as "can a bad spark plug cause problems"? If the air cleaner is in really bad shape it creates bad results. For $15.88 (Majestic Honda) why wait?

You are still trying to put value in the words from a guy that also failed to tell you about the head gasket replacement. Just do your own tune up including the air cleaner and therefore not worry going forward. Those are little things, at little costs, that could make a big difference. Why try to save a couple bucks on these things and not know?

A quick story - when I was young and bought my fist new car - a Civic Si. I drove it for a bit then brought it in for its first scheduled tune up. No doubt that spending that kind of money would certainly make the car feel better somehow. I told a roommate that I brought it in and he asked "does it feel any different?", thought about it and said "no" and felt bummed that it didn't and I spent that money. In hindsight much of this is like changing the oil, it is preventative and hard to quantify but if you don't it could lead to major catastrophes later.

Change your plugs to the right ones per your cylinder head, change your air filter, oil filter, oil, brake fluid, clean your EGR plate, maybe have your coolant changed, and have your valves adjusted. It doesn't matter what the previous owner claims or what receipts he shows just do it. All that is cheap insurance. I cannot tell you how many vehicles I've seen where dealers have done work only to see how badly it was done. There many claims on this board alone where dealers or garages put in the wrong oil or oil levels to the detriment of the car... why take that chance? All of that can easily be done in an afternoon with minimal tools or experience for under $100. Also, I trickle charge the 12v battery at least twice a year.
Leeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2010, 05:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yeah, you're right, Leeper, I'm gonna go with installing a new air and cabin filter for safe measure. I think I've been getting good consistent city mpg (53 mpg per 9.9 gallons fill-up--I guess could be better if there weren't so many red lights and stops!). Still, I'm just curious to see the condition of the air filter.

I had the plugs changed to Honda Genuine B plugs (what was stamped on the head) shortly after purchase and the old ones that came out were pretty clean and solid--still have them for my reference). Also had an oil change with HG 0W-20 but with a cheap no-name filter.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

I finally got around to changing my cabin air filter, and found this how-to site useful:
Figgy's Insight
He refers to it as the Pollen Filter.
red1dr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2010, 02:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Just stopped by the dealership and got a Honda air filter. It was around $25-something after tax--relatively expensive, but I knew that as I had called other dealers near by and the cheapest was $22-something but not in stock, which would mean I'd have to go to that dealer and place an order (no phone orders) and then go back again once it's in. Majestic has it for $15 but after shipping charges, it'll cost more than the dealer!

I was surprised that the filter looks so much like some of the ones I see on Ebay. Same green color but not the Toki-something brand that is stamped on the Honda filter. Always the frugal person, would I have been better off getting an Ebay filter and saving around $10? I would think they are made of the same materials.

Speaking of changing air filter, it really looks like I just can't unclip the 4 latches. Looks like I'll have to remove the two hoses or something. Arrrrghhhh.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in