85mpg !! New Personal Best - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > MPG Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2011, 11:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 85mpg !! New Personal Best

I have a new personal best .. since I did all my mods I hit 85MPG on my way to work.

The proof

Lafter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2011, 12:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Eli

Send a message via AIM to Eli Send a message via MSN to Eli

Haha..

What did I tell ya.. It's addicting.

Now let's see that become 85MPG over 427 miles!

Home of the BeeMax performance IMA battery.

503-730-8786

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bumblebee Hybrid Fleet:
2000 MT Insight @ 250k; 2001 MT Insight @ 475k; 2001 MT Insight @ 160k; 2001 MT Insight @ 201k; 2003 MT HCH @ 160k; 2006 CVT HCH2 @ 205k; 2007 CVT FEH @ 210k; 2010 CVT Insight2 @ 191k; 2001 MT Insight @ 182k.
Eli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2011, 12:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
Now let's see that become 85MPG over 427 miles!
HAHA .. naw ... I'm ok with knowing I can get that kind of gas mileage.

It took me an extra 15-20 minutes to get to work today .. yesterday I was hauling @$$ and got 57mpg .. that is very acceptable gas mileage.

I may try and break my record every now and then .. but I really don't ever see my trying to do that over a whole tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2011, 05:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Eli

Well, slow down by another 5-10mph and you might be able to get 100MPG on your trip.

Dooo iiiiiit! I know you want to..

503-730-8786

Bumblebee Hybrid Fleet:
2000 MT Insight @ 250k; 2001 MT Insight @ 475k; 2001 MT Insight @ 160k; 2001 MT Insight @ 201k; 2003 MT HCH @ 160k; 2006 CVT HCH2 @ 205k; 2007 CVT FEH @ 210k; 2010 CVT Insight2 @ 191k; 2001 MT Insight @ 182k.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to steveo

Im havin a hard time keeping above 50mpg now, when i bought my car it has the wrong tires, i believe 185/65/r14

I have quite a few small hills in my area, and not only that people in my area like driving right up ure bumper especially when ure accelerating slower then the norm

-Steveo

HUDGE Red 2001 mk1 part out here...
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2011, 07:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Eli

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
Im havin a hard time keeping above 50mpg now, when i bought my car it has the wrong tires, i believe 185/65/r14

I have quite a few small hills in my area, and not only that people in my area like driving right up ure bumper especially when ure accelerating slower then the norm

-Steveo
That's about the point when I let up on the gas pedal completely... lol

Nah, I don't generally accelerate slow in the city.

503-730-8786

Bumblebee Hybrid Fleet:
Old 08-24-2011, 08:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post

-Steveo
The Ultra Gauge helped me out the most .. for $60 bucks its very worth it .. and it looks cool .. It brought my average up a good 5mpg.

When I am trying to get great MPG I take the back roads and do the speed limit or 5mph less .. and accelerate very slow / coast a lot. I would never try this on the main roads during rush hour.

I don't agree with some of gas saving techniques that people use .. I think they are very foolish and unsafe. Here on the east coast you are begging for a Darwin award driving like that.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Eli

I disagree overall, but then again I'm not an extreme hypermiler either on the interstate, or in the city. In fact, I drive like a bat of hell in the city and am usually leaving everyone in the dust, as silly as that sounds. Most people accelerate quite slow. It is fun when someone wants to beat me though, it really puts you in your place and makes you realize how slow the Insight is.

It's others responsibility to be aware and pay attention. I should be able to drive however I want to drive, as long as it's safe for me and others. Driving slow is inherently safe, and driving even 20MPH under the speed limit is not and should not be dangerous, period. I pride myself on being extremely aware of my surroundings, and wish more people were the same.

I just laugh when someone flies up on my ***, sits there a bit, then swings around me all agitated when there has been plenty of room to pass the entire time. As if I'm going to go faster just because you're inches from my bumper. That's about the time that I tap my brake pedal.

The speed limit on the highways here is 75MPH, yet I rarely travel that fast. Maybe down the big hills. It's never been a problem.

I am empathetic though. I don't like to be held up, so I don't hold other people up. If there is ample room to pass, like there is when I'm out on a road trip, I will continue driving the way I am, you can pass me. However, if we're on a twisty mountain highway, with no way to pass, I will speed it up and pull over the next chance I get. I've found that the Insight can carve corners faster than most people will go around them. I used to come through a couple of canyons in Northern California, taking all the turns at 50-60MPH. I easily stayed ahead of everyone, but it was flat and/or downhill.. uphill is another matter, lol.

503-730-8786

Bumblebee Hybrid Fleet:

Last edited by Eli; 08-24-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
It's others responsibility to be aware and pay attention. I should be able to drive however I want to drive, as long as it's safe for me and others. Driving slow is inherently safe, and driving even 20MPH under the speed limit is not dangerous. I pride myself on being extremely aware of my surroundings, and wish more people were the same.
That might work for you in NM ... In the North East You WILL be hit.

The big roads around here have fatality's every day .. Thankfully I live in the rural parts of Delaware .. but I have to ride in the craziness all the time for work.

People will actually hit you on purpose for driving like that .. not to mention all the people talking and texting that run up on you going 20-50mph faster then you are and don't even see you.

What you should be able to do & whats right/legal has nothing to do with reality .. Hopefully being right will get your car fixed or help you once your in the hospital.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Eli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafter View Post
That might work for you in NM ... In the North East You WILL be hit.

The big roads around here have fatality's every day .. Thankfully I live in the rural parts of Delaware .. but I have to ride in the craziness all the time for work.

People will actually hit you on purpose for driving like that .. not to mention all the people talking and texting that run up on you going 20-50mph faster then you are and don't even see you.

What you should be able to do & whats right/legal has nothing to do with reality .. Hopefully being right will get your car fixed or help you once your in the hospital.
Touche.

I still don't care, I'll take my chances I guess. If someone wants to rear end me on the highway, more power to them. I'll thank them for the new car afterwards. I'm more worried about getting rear ended while stopped than I am getting rear ended with a 20MPH difference on the highway.

Some states' highways have minimum speed limits. In Utah, it's 45MPH on the 75MPH highway. That makes sense, I can see a 30MPH speed difference beginning to become problematic even for people that are paying attention.

Most highways aren't 75MPH though, and I see no danger or problem going 55 in a 65 which is what I usually do when out on a road trip.

503-730-8786

Bumblebee Hybrid Fleet:

Last edited by Eli; 08-24-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in