Wow, am I getting average CVT mpg or above average? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > MPG Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2011, 05:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Wow, am I getting average CVT mpg or above average?

The last three tanks I've been getting an avergae of 58mpg. By tank, I mean around 9.5 gallons. Usually I have about 1 gallon left when I fill up, which is usually with one bar on the gas gauge and after driving approximately 8-10 miles after the gas light comes on.

My last tank I ended with 58.7mpg and total miles driven was 555 miles; fill-up was 9.5 gallons, so that means I had a tad over a gallon left in the tank (that's if everything is calibrated and accurate).

For those last three tanks, it was mostly city driving, mainly commuting to work. Some freeway driving that amounted to 14 miles on one tank to 80 miles on another. On a few hot occassions some very light AC usage.

This cuurent tank I've accumualted about 330 miles and 64mpg, but that's because I've been doing a lot of freeway driving. My last trip from point A in Los Angeles County to point B in Orange County yielded 76.1mpg after 38 miles. Average speed was 55mph when traffic allowed but in certain areas and situations speed was increased to 65+mpg.

I don't think I'm using any exceptional or technical hypermiling methods, but I do drive conservatively and do coast when I can. I'm wondering if the mpg numbers I'm getting are well within the CVT model or am I getting higher than normal numbers? What are you other CVT drivers getting?
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2011, 01:17 AM   #2 (permalink)

I would say you're getting very good mpg. I have a 2002 CVT with 81k miles a new battery pack, 45psi OEM tires, Mobil 1 synthetic. I drive 90% city and live in a hilly area, I consistently get 50 to 53 mpg with light A/C.
av6s2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2011, 02:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by av6s2k View Post
I would say you're getting very good mpg. I have a 2002 CVT with 81k miles a new battery pack, 45psi OEM tires, Mobil 1 synthetic. I drive 90% city and live in a hilly area, I consistently get 50 to 53 mpg with light A/C.
Low 50s in hilly terrain isn't bad. I have my tires at 50psi.
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2011, 07:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

I get low 50's on the commute - fairly flat but nothing much more than 40-50mph tops. Once a week I take to the motorways here in the UK and do 70 for about 130 miles. seems to vary with outside temp. The week before last on this trip I got 51.8. Last week only 48.
mikeeech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2011, 12:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Without lean burn or other mods i think my numbers are almost the max the CVT can do. my drive seems to be almost perfect for high numbers. no head wind on the way to work, nice tail wind on the way home. 65mph roads i go 50-55 on since there isn't much traffic. And there are aren't to many hills to contend with.

I loved the CVT when i was driving it (over 20k miles in the past year, and it sat all winter) but since i got a MT i'm not sure if i can go back. so it looks like the girlfriend might be joining the CVT ranks.

Do you use much assist when accelerating? i would use light assist up to 27mph, and then try to accelerate up to speed with the MPG around 50-60mpg with no assist. depending on the situation of course. I'd say "normal" insight driving would get about 50-55mpg in the CVT. i drove it once in the early spring/winter and i think i had a 58mpg tank. the car just hated the cold.

Tim
2000 Red MT "Wendy" #448 156k miles, Monster Truck Mode
2000 Silver MT #168 130k miles Grid charger harness, CARD switch, rad block, MIMA #174, BetterBattery 83.5Lmpg
Bests trips: One way 58.2 miles-110.4 mpg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
round trip 116.8 miles-99.5mpg Tank: 94.4mpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2001 Blue CVT - 203k miles 69.3Lmpg Best 56.6m-92.3 mpg Tank: 75.13mpg

timny1984 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2011, 12:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty hippie View Post
The last three tanks I've been getting an avergae of 58mpg. By tank, I mean around 9.5 gallons. Usually I have about 1 gallon left when I fill up, which is usually with one bar on the gas gauge and after driving approximately 8-10 miles after the gas light comes on.

My last tank I ended with 58.7mpg and total miles driven was 555 miles; fill-up was 9.5 gallons, so that means I had a tad over a gallon left in the tank (that's if everything is calibrated and accurate).
Your numbers sound very good, I'm in the same boat with av6 and Mike. I typically see 51-54 mpg although it's been tougher this summer because they left the 10% ethanol in the gas around here. I drive too fast for optimum mileage, my typical speed on the interstate is about 75-78 mph (for 80% of my commute). Best tanks driving here have been 56-57 and I've only seen a couple in 2 years. Best actual tank checked at the pump is 59.97 and all that mileage was driven in Southern Ontario and Western NY. Once I get out of the Nascar training grounds I can shine like the rest of you.

Brian
BrianZ54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2011, 12:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

I live in San Diego and have a similar hilly terrain, I drive about 25% city and 75% highway with light A/C use on really hot days and usually out at lunch which kills my averages.

With a 2001 CVT @196k miles, I'm now averaging right around 60mpg for the tank, best tank was 62mpg.

My best segment going to work is 65mpg and coming home is 70mpg but I usually end up closer to 62mpg to work and 66mpg home.

Tires at 45, fresh 0w-20 full synthetic oil, air filter, and will be changing the cvt fluid soon which should help.

The only half *** mod I run is taping up the upper grill inlet but it doesn't stay on for more than a few hundred miles.

On the freeway I usually hang around 55-60mph and draft when safe and possible. Usually the trucks are going faster than my prime MPG zone. I accelerate lightly using assist to get up to speed, then try to stay out of it. Approaching hills I will make a run on them and drive under constant load, but once my momentum runs out I'll use assist to hold my minimum safe hill speed (depends on conditions).

Best Tank 70 mpg over 700 miles

Best Segment 95 mpg over 103 miles
2Slow4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2011, 08:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

2slow4u: Haha, love the name, reminds me of the 2fast4u plate I see advertised for Euro plates. I'm shooting for 60mpg all city or at least 90% city. Based on my highway driving, I can easily get over 60mpg per tank, but much of my driving is city.

av6stk: where in PC are you located? maybe we can meet up and compare cars.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ramma

That's pretty good mileage for the CVT. I average just over 50 MPG in mine most of the time. This last tank I've been driving for maximum MPG and am sitting right around 58-59 MPG with about 90% city driving. I've had to go out of my way to take the least hilly roads, but it's been working well.
ramma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2011, 12:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'm on track for a 65mpg tank this time around for my daily driving. Changing the CVT fluid helped for a few more MPG. My new best segment got bumped up to 72.6mpg on the way home.

It seems like I'm pushing the limits of this car for at least daily driving mpg numbers and to get much higher it will require some aero/weight mods. If conditions were just right I could probably average 67-68mpg for a tank with this setup and my commute, but that's not how real world driving plays out.

I know someone has put lowering springs on their insight here, but can't seem to find the user. I'm just curious what type of MPG gains they saw from that (closing the air gap). Also interested in replacing side few mirrors with cameras to get less drag.

Best Tank 70 mpg over 700 miles

Best Segment 95 mpg over 103 miles
2Slow4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in