Would a malfunctioning O2 sensor affect MPG? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > MPG Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2011, 05:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Would a malfunctioning O2 sensor affect MPG?

I purchased an insight with a faulty secondary sensor. I haven't done anything to improve MPG, and it is running non-OEM tires (175/60R14 Pirellis), but I'm getting less than 50MPG with fairly gentle driving, most of which is city.

I was planning on compiling a list of things I should do to improve MPG.

- Raise tire pressure to 43 Front / 40 Rear
- Replace Air Filter if it could use it
- Replace O2 sensor if it actually is affecting things

What else would you recommend? I'm surprised there isn't a sticky thread listing all of the things that can have a detrimental effect on mileage.
dsteele713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2011, 09:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Talking

The second O2 sensor won't effect your mpg. The number one thing to do is get the proper tires. Number two pump your tires up to at least the sidewall max pressure. I had some Futura tires on mine once, and had to run the sidewall max 52 psi to get my car to act like I wasn't driving in sand! Wow, what a difference thr RE92's make! I will never make that mistake again. I was young and uneducated in the ways of the Insight forums back then. I now run the RE92's over the sidewall max at at least 50 psi with no problems and much better mpg's! Also make sure you are running the proper 0w-20 motor oil by changing it with Honda or Mobil One 0W-20 and make sure you don't overfill it. It only holds 2.6 quarts! The air filter would be next on my list. Plan ahead on this one they can be a little hard to find.
Matt's TPS mod.
Spats cutout mod.

00 5spd 190k mi
ODBIIC&C v0.76

00 5spd parts car

Last edited by AClewell; 11-02-2011 at 09:36 AM.
AClewell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2011, 11:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsteele713 View Post
I purchased an insight with a faulty secondary sensor. I haven't done anything to improve MPG, and it is running non-OEM tires (175/60R14 Pirellis), but I'm getting less than 50MPG with fairly gentle driving, most of which is city.

I was planning on compiling a list of things I should do to improve MPG.

- Raise tire pressure to 43 Front / 40 Rear
- Replace Air Filter if it could use it
- Replace O2 sensor if it actually is affecting things

What else would you recommend? I'm surprised there isn't a sticky thread listing all of the things that can have a detrimental effect on mileage.
Everybody here always tells me, tires tires tires! Must be RE92! Problem is a set of four will cost me $400 mounted and balanced unfortunately, so I'll just accept the 55mpg for now. I actually got it to 57mpg with a bit more highway driving. I did notice that one of my rear underbody panels are kind of dangling and bent weird, so that might be causing some wind resistance as well. Check your underbody.

You can't do too much as well if you live in a place with rolling hills that requires the use of assist. I know I'd be getting over 60mpg if I traveled on perfectly flat roads even with the aftermarket tires.
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2011, 11:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Eli

Send a message via AIM to Eli Send a message via MSN to Eli

Secondary O2 shouldn't affect MPG. First will though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balboa View Post
Everybody here always tells me, tires tires tires! Must be RE92!

You can't do too much as well if you live in a place with rolling hills that requires the use of assist.

And there is a reason for this. Like I said, you haven't experienced the Insight as it was meant to be if you haven't felt what RE92s feel like.

When we bought Insight #2 it had some crappy 175mm tires on it. It felt like crap, just didn't want to roll. It still managed 64MPG on the 800 mile drive home, but that's in contrast to my 80MPG in Insight #1.

When we replaced the tires with the RE92s, even my fiancee commented that it felt like a totally different car, and she's not a car person. No longer was trying to keep the battery full a problem. It really changed everything about the car.. MPG, assist profile, regen profile, and just the overall feeling of the car.

As for the rolling hills.. the Insight actually does very well in rolling hills out on the highway. It's the next most perfect environment to completely flat. There is ample opportunity to regen; the key is avoiding the use of assist.. which can be hard to do if you have the wrong tires, lol.

Home of the BeeMax performance IMA battery.

503-730-8786

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bumblebee Hybrid Fleet:
2000 MT Insight @ 250k; 2001 MT Insight @ 475k; 2001 MT Insight @ 160k; 2001 MT Insight @ 201k; 2003 MT HCH @ 160k; 2006 CVT HCH2 @ 205k; 2007 CVT FEH @ 210k; 2010 CVT Insight2 @ 191k; 2001 MT Insight @ 182k.

Last edited by Eli; 11-02-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Eli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2011, 01:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

It all boils own to the "Nut on the steering wheel" for mileage or performance. Even with a turbo I can still manage decent mileage. The only thing I cant do is increase my LMPG. I would have to drive like a "granny" for many many many miles.
I think I am the only (original owner) Insighter that has reported a drop in LMPG, at 283,000 miles.

Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2011, 11:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Just to note the indicated LMPG value can be reset [Owners Manual: pg.53. Gauges. ref'd] to reflect a new owners driving habits.
or inadvertently lost by incorrectly attempting resetting the Maint. Req'd light

If the LMPG has been reset, the newly indicated mileage could shift around even at high odometer readings until a pattern is established.

Pros and cons of resetting LMPG are seen discussed here.

\_(ツ)_/
\ /
/\
[/SIZE]

Last edited by AbCaRed00; 11-02-2011 at 11:37 PM.
AbCaRed00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2011, 01:05 AM   #7 (permalink)

Good to know. I'll check on the Air Filter and such and report back
dsteele713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2012, 09:04 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AClewell View Post
It only holds 2.6 quarts!
Interesting. I called my Honda dealership and they told me it holds 3.2 quarts.
mynameissteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2012, 09:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Your dealership is mistaken. It holds 2.6 quarts of oil with filter. I have been changing oil on this car for 11 years. You can put 3.2 quarts in if you want but it will be way over full.
Matt's TPS mod.
Spats cutout mod.

00 5spd 190k mi
ODBIIC&C v0.76

00 5spd parts car
AClewell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2012, 09:19 AM   #10 (permalink)

Just to be clear, I did not call them because I thought you were wrong or anything like that, I was just saying I at one point in time (about 1.5 years ago now) had that question and that was the answer I got. I always find it interesting when user anything has such a large difference from manufacturer specifications.
mynameissteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in