Insight has a built in TPS mod !?!?! - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > MPG Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2011, 01:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Insight has a built in TPS mod !?!?!

Maybe this has already been reported, but I noticed this weekend that the ability to stay in lean burn seems to be a function of how long you maintain lean burn.

I drove home from Fresno tonight and noticed that after driving 30 minute straight in lean burn, the Insight seems to just stay in lean burn no matter how I stepped on the gas. I discovered this when I mashed the pedal trying to pass a truck and the car would not drop out of LB. I swear it felt like I got to around 50% throttle. It's like the car learns that if you're constantly in and out of LB, it'll adjust itself to be more sensitive to TPS changes. But if you stay constant on the pedal, it'll let you mash it once in awhile without dropping out.

Anyone else notice this?

By the way, because of the LB behavior, I had my personal best of 80.3MPG across 236 miles averaging 60MPH in 40F weather and over the nasty 4000ft Tejon pass. Snapped this when I got home.

This car is amazing!

Last edited by randomfire; 12-26-2011 at 01:52 AM.
randomfire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2011, 11:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hey Randomfire,

Breaking into the 80s is great, my best so far is 76. You were mentioning TPS, normally I know that as Tire Pressure Sensor, is that was you mean? the first generation cars do not have a tire pressure warning system. Also I'm curious when you cruse in lean burn are you getting your NoX burns every couple of minutes?
gilbertguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2011, 12:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertguy View Post
Hey Randomfire,

Breaking into the 80s is great, my best so far is 76. You were mentioning TPS, normally I know that as Tire Pressure Sensor, is that was you mean? the first generation cars do not have a tire pressure warning system. Also I'm curious when you cruse in lean burn are you getting your NoX burns every couple of minutes?
I believe he may have been referring to Throttle Position Sensor. I monitor that function on my ScanguageII along with the lean-burn X-Gauge I programmed and the load gauge probably the most on highway trips.
Calpod switch
EPS fuse removed
FAS/fuel injector interrupt circuit *coming soon*
grid charger
OBDII C&C gauge
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2011, 12:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
You were mentioning TPS, normally I know that as Tire Pressure Sensor, is that was you mean? the first generation cars do not have a tire pressure warning system.
TPS = Throttle Position Sensor. It measures how far down you press the accelerator.
2000 MT #4227 175K miles - Citrus Yellow, BetterBattery
Hybrid-Battery-Repair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2011, 12:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Eli

Send a message via AIM to Eli Send a message via MSN to Eli

If the Insight had the "TPS mod" built in, then it wouldn't be a modification and there would be no need to perform the "mod".

The behavior you describe sounds a little odd, but it's difficult to tell unless you have an OBDII reader. Over 30% TPS, and it will drop out of leanburn every time.

Home of the BeeMax performance IMA battery.

503-730-8786

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bumblebee Hybrid Fleet:
2000 MT Insight @ 250k; 2001 MT Insight @ 475k; 2001 MT Insight @ 160k; 2001 MT Insight @ 201k; 2003 MT HCH @ 160k; 2006 CVT HCH2 @ 205k; 2007 CVT FEH @ 210k; 2010 CVT Insight2 @ 191k; 2001 MT Insight @ 182k.
Eli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2011, 12:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

What they said... The TPS mod specifically is a RC circuit that dampens sudden changes to your throttle position. Here's the original source explaining the theory behind it: TPS MOD

At 60MPH, I do get NoX purges every few minutes, but they only last for ~5-10 seconds. Much shorter than what a lot of people are reporting. I back off the throttle during the purge to keep it at 105MPG and step on it again after the purge. Again, I was able to move the pedal pretty freely up and down even during the purge cycle without worrying about it dropping out of lean burn. It was weird.

Quote:
Hey Randomfire,

Old 12-26-2011, 12:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

If you can monitor the first o2 sensor, it will give you a better "feel" of lean burn.
I can't see the G1 running (down the road) 30min. in lean burn, as designated by the manufacturer.

Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2011, 12:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

On my 543 mile highway trip last week, I did see a few cases where I had lean burn at a TPS over 30. One of the times it was at 34 or 35 for several seconds (15-20?). I was so surprised to see this that I failed to note what the LOD was. One thing I noticed about those rare instances was that when it did drop out of LB, it always went immediately into assist and it always seemed harder to get back into LB than the simple let off the pedal method during a NoX purge.
Calpod switch
EPS fuse removed
FAS/fuel injector interrupt circuit *coming soon*
grid charger
OBDII C&C gauge
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2011, 12:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Eli

Send a message via AIM to Eli Send a message via MSN to Eli

The car doesn't lean burn during a purge cycle. It wouldn't be able to purge then.

The Scangauge and OBDIIC&C Gauge are big Insights into lean burn. Don't assume that just because you're over 100MPG you're in lean burn. It's easy not to be.

Home of the BeeMax performance IMA battery.

503-730-8786

Bumblebee Hybrid Fleet:
2000 MT Insight @ 250k; 2001 MT Insight @ 475k; 2001 MT Insight @ 160k; 2001 MT Insight @ 201k; 2003 MT HCH @ 160k; 2006 CVT HCH2 @ 205k; 2007 CVT FEH @ 210k; 2010 CVT Insight2 @ 191k; 2001 MT Insight @ 182k.
Eli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2011, 01:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
If the Insight had the "TPS mod" built in, then it wouldn't be a modification and there would be no need to perform the "mod".
Yes you're right. I was going to do the tps mod, but with what I saw last night, I feel like I don't need to now. The car already has one!

Quote:
The behavior you describe sounds a little odd, but it's difficult to tell unless you have an OBDII reader. Over 30% TPS, and it will drop out of leanburn every time.
I agree it sounds a bit weird so was hoping someone can confirm what I saw. I do know the pedal felt much heavier because I was pressing on the accelerator a lot harder than I normally do. Maybe there was just a heavier load on the ICE and so it felt like the TPS was further down than it really is??? I plan to hook up a ScanGuage before my next long drive and record it on video.

Besides the 30% TPS, the most surprising part to me is that I didn't have to baby the pedal to keep it in lean burn.

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in