My Best MPG So Far - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > MPG Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2012, 04:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default My Best MPG So Far

Best trip so far 94.4MPG. Full tank of gas, 2 people, winter tires and -1C. I tried a little but lots of room for improvement. I love this car!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2524.jpg (86.9 KB, 34 views)
Redlinesd1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2012, 05:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

7 miles in sub freezing weather with no seat belt or power steering?

Must be a block heater and some pack charger/balancer involved. I can get about 9 miles before a charge wears off.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Eli

Send a message via AIM to Eli Send a message via MSN to Eli

I'm guessing that he just fueled up so his engine was already warm and that only the ignition was on in the pic, and there is no grid charger or MIMA involved.

Home of the BeeMax performance IMA battery.

503-730-8786

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bumblebee Hybrid Fleet:
2000 MT Insight @ 250k; 2001 MT Insight @ 475k; 2001 MT Insight @ 160k; 2001 MT Insight @ 201k; 2003 MT HCH @ 160k; 2006 CVT HCH2 @ 205k; 2007 CVT FEH @ 210k; 2010 CVT Insight2 @ 191k; 2001 MT Insight @ 182k.
Eli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Guess that is no different than when I reset my trip with a warm engine, my phev kit and went 8 miles down the road for a cup of coffee and returning 96mpg?

I typically set my cruse control for 56mph and go down various sections of i95 so anyone can copy it to test aero mods vs driving style as speed is a constant.

It was fairly warm today and between i95 and stop n go 8 miles down Hull St I managed 72mpg.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Eli

Send a message via AIM to Eli Send a message via MSN to Eli

It is different because I don't think he has a PHEV kit.

Home of the BeeMax performance IMA battery.

503-730-8786

Bumblebee Hybrid Fleet:
2000 MT Insight @ 250k; 2001 MT Insight @ 475k; 2001 MT Insight @ 160k; 2001 MT Insight @ 201k; 2003 MT HCH @ 160k; 2006 CVT HCH2 @ 205k; 2007 CVT FEH @ 210k; 2010 CVT Insight2 @ 191k; 2001 MT Insight @ 182k.
Eli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 07:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Last week when it was into the high teens and mid 20's with one morning as high as 30F. I didn't grid charge any so all I had was the block heater helping me and was able to get mid 80's mpg and as high as 93 on the day it was 30F while taking my wife to work at 10 miles from home. Starting coolant temps on the coldest mornings was 120-130F. It will be interesting to see how it does if I ever get the PHEV kit installed, MIMA or something equivalent, and the OBDII C&C gauge.
Calpod switch
EPS fuse removed
FAS/fuel injector interrupt circuit *coming soon*
grid charger
OBDII C&C gauge
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Interesting.... The colder weather has kept me from exceeding 60mpg with or without the block heater or warm air intake.

To tell you the truth I see a decrease in mpg using a warm air intake of any kind and can not tell a difference with the block heater. Either its not hot enough or I drive too far for it to make any impact. I do notice however it takes 8 miles or so to get up to 180 degrees. Thats with no use of heat and a full grill block doing 55mph in stop n go traffic.

My trips are typically an hour in time and 30 miles in length.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Have you checked your block heater with an ohm meter? Is it working? I have a 15 mile drive to work and can tell the difference between 2 hours and 2 1/2 hours of block heater time. I am up to temp lots faster, and so is the mpg with the block heater.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have the warm air intake mod in place and I also have the entire lower grill blocked off. I stuffed foam pipe insulation in all of the slots. I usually see 180F coolant from 5-7 miles out in the morning. I think you may be right about the trip length as my trip is only 10 miles each way. One day last week, I forgot to turn on the block heater for the afternoon trip to pick my wife up from work. I usually have it on a timer but haven't taken the time to program a new on/off cycle. The return trip home was very similar in mileage to the return trip earlier in the day when I started with the heater's benefit.
Calpod switch
EPS fuse removed
FAS/fuel injector interrupt circuit *coming soon*
grid charger
OBDII C&C gauge
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Yeah it still works. It seems with the 400 watts its rated at 2 hours seems to be the most economical in warmth vs lead time. It makes the cold engine light go off 2 minutes earlier in my trip, but thats 120 degrees. I usually wait til I see 180 before turning on the heater as it seems to be better at maintaining that temp. If I turn the heat on early it will hover around 120 degrees.

Better yet, if I turn it on from the start it will hover around 70 degrees when its 20 out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in