FAS...options? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > MPG Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2012, 02:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default FAS...options?

What are my options for getting FAS at any speed? Not counting using the key....thanks

Oh, BTW, I have a 01 MT.
DBASRA99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 02:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Just curious, why do you (why does anyone) want FAS? The built in AS does ok for me. I do wish it kicked in at 25mph (or whatever is bottom of 5th gear) instead of 19mph, and it'd be nice if it stayed off until I put the stick in gear (ignoring if I release the brake pedal to coast), but otherwise I'm pretty happy with it.
GuySmily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 03:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuySmily View Post
Just curious, why do you (why does anyone) want FAS? The built in AS does ok for me. I do wish it kicked in at 25mph (or whatever is bottom of 5th gear) instead of 19mph, and it'd be nice if it stayed off until I put the stick in gear (ignoring if I release the brake pedal to coast), but otherwise I'm pretty happy with it.
I am more interested in using it on shallow hills at higher speeds like 50 mph.
DBASRA99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 03:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Oh, I see. For times when you don't need to regen, that makes sense.
GuySmily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 05:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBASRA99 View Post
What are my options for getting FAS at any speed? Not counting using the key....thanks

Oh, BTW, I have a 01 MT.
There are a couple of things I can think of. You might be able to create some sort of ignition interrupt electrically, but you would be faced with the same problems that turning off the key causes, no autostart, and no brakes after an application or two.

Mike Dabrowski at 99mpg.com at one time sold a FAS circuit which could be spliced into the ECM wiring in the passenger footwell. His circuit functioned as you describe, simulating autostop at any speed. It basically cut the fuel injectors, and had connections to maintain brake boost and autostart. If he does not have that for sale, then perhaps the circuit diagram is available from him. He has generously provided some free drawings over the years.

I think this topic has been discussed here before, so you might be able to find some threads by using the google search line in the above search engine.

Later: Sorry, you would continue to have brakes, you just wouldn't have brake boost after a couple of applications.

Last edited by jime; 10-16-2012 at 04:41 PM. Reason: correction
jime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 08:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jime View Post
There are a couple of things I can think of. You might be able to create some sort of ignition interrupt electrically, but you would be faced with the same problems that turning off the key causes, no autostart, and no brakes after an application or two.

Mike Dabrowski at 99mpg.com at one time sold a FAS circuit which could be spliced into the ECM wiring in the passenger footwell. His circuit functioned as you describe, simulating autostop at any speed. It basically cut the fuel injectors, and had connections to maintain brake boost and autostart. If he does not have that for sale, then perhaps the circuit diagram is available from him. He has generously provided some free drawings over the years.

I think this topic has been discussed here before, so you might be able to find some threads by using the google search line in the above search engine.
My injector interrupt circuit basically initiates auto-stop. The only thing that it doesn't do is keep the oil and battery lights from coming. Even then, under certain conditions those will go out and the green AS light comes on when I drop to a low enough speed. Everything that will cause autostart still works with my setup; putting it in gear, brake vacuum drops too low, etc.
Calpod switch
EPS fuse removed
FAS/fuel injector interrupt circuit *coming soon*
grid charger
OBDII C&C gauge
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 11:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlarry View Post
My injector interrupt circuit basically initiates auto-stop. The only thing that it doesn't do is keep the oil and battery lights from coming. Even then, under certain conditions those will go out and the green AS light comes on when I drop to a low enough speed. Everything that will cause autostart still works with my setup; putting it in gear, brake vacuum drops too low, etc.
Is there a schematic or directions somewhere for this circuit?
Old 10-16-2012, 10:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

Here is the FAS that I sold:
http://99mpg.com/Data/resources/down.../total_fas.pdf
I still have some built up boards.
http://99mpg.com/mima/thefassystem/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mike Dabrowski 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 04:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jime View Post
Is there a schematic or directions somewhere for this circuit?
There is probably a bit neater way to do it than the way I did it but, I went under the hood and found the wires that supply power to the injectors (NOT the grounds as those are what the ECU switches to control the air/fuel ratio); they all share a common power supply. I cut the power wires and basically put a normally closed relay in line with the power supply wires. I then took a jumper wire from the hot side of the wires and ran it to the power pin on the relay. I then ran a wire inside to a push-button switch then ran a a wire from the switch to ground. When I push the button, it opens the relay and the injectors lose power and the engine dies...as long as it's in neutral and the clutch pedal is pushed in. I have the Calpod switch for the clutch so I just flip that if I don't want to hold the pedal in. I can do this at any speed I want. There is one more thing I'd like to do and that is put a switch in to make the car think it's in neutral so I can bump-start as putting the car in gear to do the bump-start causes it to auto-start off the IMA.
Calpod switch
EPS fuse removed
FAS/fuel injector interrupt circuit *coming soon*
grid charger
OBDII C&C gauge
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 11:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

I kinda did what diamondlarry did but put a limit switch on the left side of the shifter between 1st and 2nd. So in nuetral between gears if I apply just a little more pressure to the left, the engine shuts off. Then when it shifts into 1st it starts right back up again.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in