Under engine aero panel - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > MPG Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2013, 01:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
eq1

Default Under engine aero panel

Thought I'd do a quick post about this. I made an under engine aero panel the other day, pretty cheap and easy. My car hasn't had one since I bought it. The panel I made is one piece, almost completely flat, 1/8" thick pvc plastic, covers entire under engine, from edge where front bumper terminates under radiator to that aluminum cross piece that passes just behind the oil pan/in front of engine torque mount.

Drove the car a couple times, the last time a good cruise that I do all the time. I got 6 mpg better than I usually do on my best runs (78 vs. 72). Driving faster yet at high mpg seemed noticeably easier, like I could drive maybe 3-5 mph faster than I usually do over some long stretches, yet getting the same or better readings on the FCD. Much of the time it's a bit tricky to keep the FCD in the 50-75mpg range; this time it was easy, and holding 100 mpg wasn't very difficult, either. I was getting similar results over the whole route, facing various directions, so I don't think wind was a factor here...

On the other hand, it was bit warmer today than over the past few months, maybe 5 degrees. And I'm running premium fuel unlike usual. So these two things might complicate things. I've also been sorta keeping an eye on how the knock sensor behaves on premium fuel vs. regular; interestingly, it seems to be less active on premium, but it took a few trips to actually see that change...

Anyway, just wondering if others have experience, observations, about running with and without the under engine aero panel. Frankly, I'd never think the panel could do that much, but after my drive today I'm starting to wonder...
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2013, 02:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

Thumbs up Awesome!!!

Post some pics! Here is what I did last year, I still have it and put about 50,000 miles on it with no problems noted.

https://www.insightcentral.net/forums...der-panel.html

2004 Honda Civic Type-R!!! Yay England!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Blue-Civic-Hybrid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2013, 02:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
eq1

Interesting, so that's what they look like. I never really took a close look at the OEM, though I knew it was more than one piece. It would have been nice to have your template. I should have made one first, if not from the OEM panel, then simply by trial and error, fitting in place. I did the trial and error, fitting in place with the plastic sheet I bought. I kind of screwed up in a couple places, nothing big though... I'll take a couple pics tomorrow or something.

BTW, one can make the panel fairly easily, with little cutting, if you start with a 38" X 26" sheet. Those are the major dimensions and all that's needed is a little trimming around corners and such. I bought a sheet that was 40" X 30" and just ended up cutting it to 38" X 26" (it was priced by size, per square foot, cut to size, TAP Plastics). My sheet cost $20... Oh, one thing though: that 38 x 26 doesn't include a lip that fits over the front bumper under hang; including one would have been a bit better. You can see in Blue-Civic-Hybrid's pic how the front edge of the panel has a lip across the front, long tabs that would overlap the front bumper under hang; mine doesn't. So add about 1/2" to that 26" dimension...

Also, I went with PVC, but after working with it and getting the panel fitted and installed, I might have been better off with ABS. The ABS is denser, heavier, yet a bit more rigid, stronger. I thought the PVC would work better because it felt more flexible, more like the existing pieces. But it's perhaps a bit weak. 1/8" ABS might work better, though the PVC might be easier to work with...

Anyway, I'm still interested in hearing whether others have experience, observations about mpg with and without under engine panel...
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2013, 10:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
eq1

Here's a few pics. Not the greatest quality. You can see how the right side of the panel is a little different than the left. The left should be like the right. I made an extra cut in the left that wasn't necessary...

Old 03-15-2013, 11:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

That looks great, I know Jeff did something similar and he was hitting the 90 MPGs in his car. I just changed my EGR valve on my car and now it is so easy to get and hold lean burn, before I was only getting 60-63 MPG for a tank. Now I'm at 455 miles on this tank and easily getting 76 mpg with almost all of it being city driving. The few times I drove on the HWY at 60 MPH it was very easy to hold lean burn at 100 MPG. A good EGR valve makes a huge difference in getting good MPG, now maybe I'll try the panel mod and see what kind of change that makes.
gilbertguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2013, 01:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
eq1

It's definitely worth the bit of effort, the aero panel is. Like $20 and change for hardware... 1/2 the reason I did it was to keep the engine clean, plus maybe it will stay a bit warmer. The rest is gravy.

I'm usually pretty skeptical when it comes to making changes like this and claims of improvements. But I'm pretty certain it's making a noticeable difference, I mean, just by feel. Once I get up above 40 mph I think I'm maintaining higher speeds more easily, with less throttle... The 6 mpg I noted above is a bit of 'proof', so perhaps it's not totally my butt dyno and placebo...

I'll just have to drive a while with it, over several tanks, and see if there's some mpg numbers to bank on. If one were doing mostly highway driving I'd say the panel is a must-do mod. With half and half driving, I'd venture to say, at this early stage, that a 2-3 mpg improvement isn't unlikely...
Old 03-17-2013, 01:49 AM   #7 (permalink)

Wow! Really, really nice to see this stuff! Without these posts I might not ever have found the older posts to see what the bottom of mine should look like!
The underbody pieces on my '04 are missing, mangled, or recently removed by me 'cause they were just scooping up snow & air. I was just under the front bumper with zip ties trying to hold up the pieces hanging down and make things a bit more aero until it warms up some more here.
The previous owner parked the car on city streets that aren't plowed often. The snow gets all icy and jagged - really tears those rather delicate underbody pieces to shreds over the years.
By next winter I'll be ready! I want the whole engine bay buttoned up pretty well. I'm looking for the cheapest bra/mask I can find right now to help hold some exterior grill blocks in place. (My bumper came to me a bit damaged so I'm happy to cover it up). That and a warm-air intake mod and I'll be ready for whatever Minnesota has coming next winter.
Thanks again for the informative posts & pics!

Last edited by SLO6-O; 03-17-2013 at 01:54 AM. Reason: typos (again)
SLO6-O is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2013, 02:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
eq1

Glad it helped...
Old 03-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq1 View Post
....Drove the car a couple times, the last time a good cruise that I do all the time. I got 6 mpg better than I usually do on my best runs (78 vs. 72). Driving faster yet at high mpg seemed noticeably easier, like I could drive maybe 3-5 mph faster than I usually do over some long stretches, yet getting the same or better readings on the FCD. Much of the time it's a bit tricky to keep the FCD in the 50-75mpg range; this time it was easy, and holding 100 mpg wasn't very difficult, either. I was getting similar results over the whole route, facing various directions, so I don't think wind was a factor here......
eq1,

Check my signature for information on my Under-Body Panels.

They run the entire length of the car, and took all summer to make, several years ago. There's a similar post with maybe more detail over at EcoModder.

My mileage gain with the entire smooth underside was probably about 5 or so mpg, and it's also much better is snow.

Changing the oil is now 10 times easier than with the stock panels.

Jim.

Tail Extension:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3-Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 03:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
eq1

Yeah, I looked over those pics the other day. Pretty crazy stuff...
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in