Should I be getting better mpg's? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > MPG Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2013, 02:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Should I be getting better mpg's?

People talk about how they get 60+ mpg all day long. I just took a trip and drove 1500 miles and got 52mpg. I kept my speed around 72 mph. What should i look at first to see if anything is wrong or to improve the situation?

2004 Silver Escape Pod
Small205 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Its a combination of aero mods and driving skills.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2013, 03:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
Its a combination of aero mods and driving skills.
i'm starting to wonder if people reporting higher mpgs live in places where you have a constant tailwind and go down hill both ways...

2004 Silver Escape Pod
Small205 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small205 View Post
i'm starting to wonder if people reporting higher mpgs live in places where you have a constant tailwind and go down hill both ways...
Too funny
Old 03-21-2013, 04:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

No, not at all. Ask JimE where I live its up hill both ways, seriously.

Ive met gen 1 owners who get 40 mpg or 100+. Ive been at both ends of the scale too with a gen 2 insight.

Blocking off your lower grill is a big start. Getting one of those meters from Eli, Peter, etc tells you more of what your car is doing and when its in lean burn. You can be in lean burn in any gear, not just 5th. You can use lean burn in a modified form of pulse and glide staying in lean burn on the glide part.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2013, 05:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Speed is the absolute biggest factor in your MPG. Your tires and tire pressure are probably next. If you have the original RE92s, there are many members here that keep them at 45psi or even more. I'd say put 44 in the front and 42 in the back, depending on weather conditions.

Where you live makes a big difference, especially warm weather. I notice that when I go to work even a bit later in the day, say around noon instead of 10am, I get slightly better mileage. The Insight likes warm weather in general.

Drafting behind large vehicles can net you a few MPG (make sure you stay safe distance away - you get a big benefit even 150ft+ away).

Hills matter a little, though I'm guessing not too much since you get back a lot of the energy when you go down the other side.

With practice you get better mileage, too. You just learn to drive the car. When I first got the car five months ago, I would struggle to keep it above 50, so practice does make proficiency.

I have to drive a total of 40 miles a day for work, and I usually get 52-58 mpg on a normal day. I usually drive around 65-70. If I want to slow down to 60 or so, I can get a 60mpg average.

Besides, even at the lower end of the spectrum, you're still getting better mileage than 90% of the cars out there. 52mpg isn't bad by any measure, though it can seem so compared to what the car is capable of.
Mario is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2013, 05:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
People talk about how they get 60+ mpg all day long. I just took a trip and drove 1500 miles and got 52mpg. I kept my speed around 72 mph. What should i look at first to see if anything is wrong or to improve the situation?

With an insight in good shape 60 mpg is not a problem at all .

High speeds, AC use and bad IMA or 12V battery are killing the mpg
I keep my speed about 80 mph now and get only 47mpg.

when I drove about 45-50 mph and tried to stay in lean burn most of the time I got 70mpg average for 2011 over 15k miles. i had a tank at 80 and many tanks ~ 75 mpg average. Best 52 mile round trip was 96 mpg.

There are many small and big things you can learn from reading here , unfortunately it takes time...
Old 03-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Slow down. As slippery as the Insight is, the drag at that speed is going to be tremendous. I second what Cobb said about the OBDII C&C gauge/meter. Feedback is golden for being able to stay in lean burn. I have also done the the modified pulse and glide Cobb mentioned. I accelerate at 70-75 mpg in lean burn up to more than 65 mph then let the speed slowly drop back (modified glide) to 50-55 mph. While I'm in the "glide" mode the mpg gauge is well over 100 mpg for a couple of miles.
Calpod switch
EPS fuse removed
FAS/fuel injector interrupt circuit *coming soon*
grid charger
OBDII C&C gauge
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 03:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
eq1

Quote:
52mpg at 72 mph sounds about right to me, maybe a tad low. Anything over about 60mph kills mpg pretty quickly. Check tire pressure. Do you have a manual transmission? I can barely hold 75 mpg at 60 mph, in lean burn. With the inevitable hills and such on highways, this means I either have to let speed drop or hold speed yet lose fuel economy. 65 mph and I'm down to about 65-70 mpg. 70 mph and I'm probably down to 55-65 mpg.

So add your 2 mph (for 72), factor-in the losses from having to hold speed over hills or headwinds, etc., and probably the parts of the trip when you're not holding steady highway speeds, and you're down to about 52 mpg... I think the answer to your question is "no": at 72 mph 52 mpg is probably about all you should expect...

Last edited by eq1; 03-22-2013 at 03:34 AM.
eq1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 04:10 AM   #10 (permalink)

i currently get 62-64 mpg on my stock with 50city/50 freeway driving G1 honda insight. 50psi tire pressure.

if i drove strictly on the side streets which sometimes i have to get to school, i average roughly 55-57mpg

i dont drive like a grandma either but do practice good driving habits.

on freeway speeds i travel mostly around 65-70mph

i noticed what kills mpg the most is the flow of traffic, side street driving, and a lot of short trips
J . K . is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in