$$ I didn't give to the oil company - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > MPG Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2013, 12:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Hypermiler

Garage
Talking $$ I didn't give to the oil company

Since purchase of my '01 last may, $2,400 in fuel savings (13,000 + miles). Love it !
(pays for the new pack when the time comes).

..Bob
, IMAC&C
'01 mt, Silver, 222k,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, MIMA, currently "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"
'00 Citrus,, 184k,
, MIMA,

'01 mt, Oxy Blue, 218k

Go Navy, or don't go
Mountain driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2013, 05:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

I don't think your math works as an alternative vehicle will get better than zero MPG.
Hitech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 04:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
eq1

I don't think the math works, period: 13,000 miles divided by say 60 mpg, equals 217 gallons. 217 X say $3.5/gallon= $760...
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2013, 06:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Well, he could have $2,400 in savings if the car he previously drove got 14mpg or so... maybe he had a truck?
Mario is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 06:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
eq1

Yeah, I'll have to think about that. My conceptualizing is off-the-mark...

You're right, Mario. If OP was driving a vehicle that got 14.4 mpg, the savings would be $2,400, assuming my other assumptions are about right... That'd be 903 gallons versus the Insight's 217...

Last edited by eq1; 03-25-2013 at 06:48 AM.
eq1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 07:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Hypermiler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq1 View Post
I don't think the math works, period: 13,000 miles divided by say 60 mpg, equals 217 gallons. 217 X say $3.5/gallon= $760...
Yeah, I should have mentioned I used to drive a pick-up to work @ 15 mpg. My wallet would shed tears.

Very pleased to have an Insight now. My wallet is happier too.
, IMAC&C
'01 mt, Silver, 222k,
, MIMA, currently "
"
'00 Citrus,, 184k,
, MIMA,

'01 mt, Oxy Blue, 218k

Go Navy, or don't go

Last edited by Mountain driver; 03-25-2013 at 07:47 AM.
Mountain driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 07:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

I am in the same position. My truck averages 15 mpg, best tank in over 11 years was 19.9 mpg. I am now driving 18k miles a year, the savings is significant. Less than $40 to fill the insight and good for over 600 miles, truck took $100 and was only good for 400 miles.

Just ball parking numbers, truck would cost over $4000 a year in gas, insight maybe $800.

Last edited by Need4Speed; 03-25-2013 at 07:58 AM.
Need4Speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 09:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

My last car was a subaru legacy, which got 24-27 mpg, which I'll just call 25 mpg, or slightly less than half of what I'm getting in my Insight. The way I look at it, a trip in my Insight takes half the gas, so I would wind up paying double in gas for a given distance, so basically every time I fill up, I just saved an amount of money equal to what I put in the tank. So like today I put in 9.52 gallons, and it cost $35.32. I just saved more than $35.32. Every time I fill up I exclaim something along the lines of "This is freakin' awesome!"

It's pretty easy to do a comparison like that so every time you gas up you can figure out how much you just saved over having driven the same distance in your last car. It's quite gratifying.

I'm hoping my battery lasts a few more years, but even if I had to replace it tomorrow, I know I'd get at least another seven years out of the next one, and my fuel savings would be well over the cost of the battery.
Only about 55 lmpg showing so far.
Cold Weather and Michelins are to blame.
I'm gonna have such fun playing this mileage game.
weelliott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain driver View Post
Since purchase of my '01 last may, $2,400 in fuel savings (13,000 + miles). Love it !
(pays for the new pack when the time comes).

..Bob
My car's paid for itself AND the MaxIMA battery in the year and 5 months I've owned it, vs. the LS400 it replaced.

Mods: 3M Filtrete Advanced Allergen cabin filter cut from furnace sized unit, ScanGauge II and obdII C&C
My IMA system is so broken that the malfunction light won't even bother to turn on. Update: the light turns on now

Getting about 60mpg average, it burns leanly
Thermactor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 11:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Wonder if you guys factor in the fuel you get with your purchase? I was tickled pink when I got my insght with a full tank and after my first fill up I had almost a thousand miles on the odo.

Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in