new owner mpg concern - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > MPG Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2013, 05:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default new owner mpg concern

So got my insight 2 weeks ago silver 02 m/t 186k miles new ima from dealer a year ago. I've learned lean burn and am not new to hypermiling techniques. My first tank netted me 51mpg I was extremely disappointed as I drove very conservatively. Unfortunately the car has 17"aftermarket wheels and low profile tires. I do have them pumped to sidewall Max. Could the wheels make a 20+mpg difference? I know the factory ones are 14 and very light. Also I have a check engine for the cat converter p0420 but the power doesn't seem to be affected. I'm using torque app for engine monitoring. Any opinions?
1812rob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2013, 06:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

What size tires do you have now? The first thing I would check is the number of revs/mile and compare to the stock tires. If your tires are larger, the revs will be less. So the car will "see" less miles == less mpg reported.
rbirling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2013, 08:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

205/40/17 is the tire size
I did do a gps speedometer test and the speedometer is still accurate somehow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2013, 09:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

That seems like a fairly wide tire. Other tires in the exact same size as the original probably reduce the mpg by 7-12 mpg, yours might be hurting you even more than that.

Are you using the climate control in the full auto mode? Are you using the air conditioning? Does your car shut off at stops?
Old 05-23-2013, 11:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1812rob View Post
205/40/17 is the tire size
I did do a gps speedometer test and the speedometer is still accurate somehow.
Since your tires are of such low profile, the difference from the stock diameter isn't all that great. So, the speedometer error would not be very large. This says nothing about the rolling resistance of the non-stock tire which I would bet is costing you a lot of MPG.

Use the "User CP" button above to edit your location. If you are in the right area you might be able to convince someone to do a test tire/wheel swap on a Saturday morning. I'd venture you would notice a ton of MPG difference.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbirling View Post
What size tires do you have now? The first thing I would check is the number of revs/mile and compare to the stock tires. If your tires are larger, the revs will be less. So the car will "see" less miles == less mpg reported.
This is in fact the case by about 5%. The stock diameter is 22.44" while the aftermarket diameter is 23.46" . Good call

Rolling resistance difference plus diameter distance could account for a fairly large hit.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:04 AM   #7 (permalink)

My car is stock and I have changed tires twice in the last few months. When I got my car late last year it had tires that were in mediocre condition, cracky and if I remember the date codes were some time in 2006. I don't like to mess with tires in that condition & age. At time I had been lurking here some and everybody kept talking about RE92's. I priced them and any thing else in the correct size, which happened to be Khumo. The Khumo's were $30.00 less expensive per tire. I discussed them with a good friend, mechanic, and ended up buying them.

I work in a shop and do my own mount & balance and alignment work. When I took the wheels w/old tires off the car I basically lifted them with one hand, very light. When I went to mount the new Khumo's the weight of the tire alone was almost as much as the wheel & tire. I did not think to much about it.

On old tires I was getting in the low to mid 50's mpg. Started driving the new tires, theft rode OK, however mileage started to suffer, almost couldn't break 47.7mpg. Put in new air filter element, correct factory spark plugs still no improvement. Air pressures 40 frt, 38 rear same as I ran in worn tires. Also noticed at times my hybrid battery SOC was not as good at times. When I bought my car it need the battery replaced and bought one from one of the suppliers that had just started putting them together with all new 8 amp hour sticks.

I drove the new tires approximately 3000 miles and 47.7 was making me crazy. Did some more reading here and more thinking and remembering the weight of those heavy tires. Went back to work and ordered a set of RE92's. Put them on three weeks ago tomorrow. Drove out of shop and went to the gas station 1/2 block down the steer, filled up and reset everything as I always do. All of the sudden MPG between 54 & 56 on FCD, my new fancy battery and SOC working better than ever. Still on second tank of fuel since tires and still 54 & 56 MPG.

I was amazed how much horsepower it took to turn those heavy tires. However,when you only have 67hp and you use it to turn the additional weight it robs the car. Also, when I asked the tire dealer if he knew the weight of the tire he looked it up on the spec sheet and told me RE92's were 13lbs each, spec sheet for Khumo's didn't say, my guess 20lbs each.

I have a set of tires sitting in the shop with aprox 3000 miles on them that wil end up on Craigslist.

I'm way happier, and somewhat less crazy.

HTH,
Scott
Red 2002,MT 196,000mi, RE92's, new rear springs, GAZ shocks
Citrus 2000,MT 182,000mi, MIMA, RE92's, S2000 leather steering wheel, Japanese seat covers.
Simple grid charger SC03
New rear coil springs available, PM me.
One piece aluminum underbody panels.
PayPal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
KLR3CYL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2013, 02:35 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies. I live in Murrieta ca so I'm near upland klr. Your story sounds like what I'm experiencing I bet reducing the weight and width of the tire will free up the power to increase mpg.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:09 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1812rob View Post
Thanks for the replies. I live in Murrieta ca so I'm near upland klr. Your story sounds like what I'm experiencing I bet reducing the weight and width of the tire will free up the power to increase mpg.
Take a look at the avatar of the other contributors like KLR3CYL above. Their approximate location appears on every post. Your one post of location is going to get lost pretty quickly. You need to go to "User CP" and edit your location, on the sidebar

Since Scott is close by, perhaps you can arrange a temporary swap of tires and wheels on some weekend, if you still need a demonstration of the potential of the car. My educated guess is that you are losing at least 10 mpg to your current tires.

Last edited by jime; 05-24-2013 at 08:43 AM.
jime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2013, 09:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

Yes I sleep in Upland, during the day I'm in Covina, 15 miles further from Murrieta. Also , during the day aim in a shop. If you wanted to drive. Set of stock on your cara swap could be done very quickly, air tools & multiple lifts. If you just want to try driving a different car or comparing driving techniques that can also be arranged.

I also have some friend/customers who live in Murrietta, near the airport. Their car is a 2000, mt, with a/c 293,000. They are bringing it to me next week on the 30th for a hybrid battery swap. Their car is the reason I own one.

Let me know if you would like to do something.

Scott
Red 2002,MT 196,000mi, RE92's, new rear springs, GAZ shocks
Citrus 2000,MT 182,000mi, MIMA, RE92's, S2000 leather steering wheel, Japanese seat covers.
Simple grid charger SC03
New rear coil springs available, PM me.
One piece aluminum underbody panels.
PayPal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
KLR3CYL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in