swapped wheels big difference! - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > MPG Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2013, 06:39 PM  

Default swapped wheels big difference!

So I was here complaining about my mpg with my old wheels I had on. I was skeptical that oe size wheels would make such a dramatic difference. I purchased my 02 manual insight in may and started learning how to drive it for optimal mpg. It came with 17 inch wheels on low pro tires. Well thanks to scott another board member I tried his wheels out and wow the difference was incredible. Well I've been scouting for a set of wheels for cheap since I was recently laid off of work and I found a set of aluminum wheels off an older civic and had kumho 165 65 14 tires on it. It was a noticable difference with these but I know that the stock wheels with the re92's were much lighter and rolled much easier.

Well my prior best tank was 52mpg with about 505 miles on a full tank (manual calculation)

So far on this tank im at 64mpg and I just had my best trip of 76mpg and i'm driving slightly faster and able to maintain lean burn much easier (computer calculated on display)

Once I start working again i'll no doubt find a set of oe wheels and re92 tires.
1812rob is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2013, 05:23 PM  

A 1st gen insight with 17"s?

For Real? I wouldn't think they'd even fit. What size were those tires?

Yeah, I'm sure it made a massive difference. OE Insight wheels with RE92's will probably be good for another 10-20% over Kumho rubber on civic wheels. You probably shaved 20lbs per corner of rotating mass.

Not sure why you would be skeptical, though. There's literally hundreds of threads on ICN with hundreds of owners who've all come to the same conclusion: There is no beating the OE wheel with RE92s. Any other wheel costs about 5%-15% mpg, dependent on size/weight/aero. Any other LRR tire, such as Michelin Energy Saver costs about 5% mpg. Any other non-LRR tire costs 10-20% mpg.
OBDIIC&C

2001 Silver Canadian DM MT Insight. RIP. Rolled Sep 8/2014, ~302k km.
racer26 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2013, 11:04 PM  

I dont remember the size of the tires but they did fit easily. I know there's many threads regarding the tires, but not many threads with larger than oe size wheels.
1812rob is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2013, 11:39 PM  

Location: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA, Earth, Unnamed solar system, Milky Way Galaxy

I just bought a 2013 on steel wheels. I have been searching for a set of lightweight aero wheels that are the same diameter and width as OE. I have been looking for some Canadian Honda Fit LX wheels from about 2009, they look very similar to the 1st gen insight wheels, but no luck as yet.
llpancholl is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2013, 12:22 AM  

llpancholl
Sorry this is G1 thread. Most G2 people would like that information posted on their forum.
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Willie Williford is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2013, 12:53 AM  

Location: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA, Earth, Unnamed solar system, Milky Way Galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Williford View Post
llpancholl
Sorry this is G1 thread. Most G2 people would like that information posted on their forum.
Yep, but I thought it was not too far off topic, I figured the some of the G1 guys knew of the Fit LX wheels as they are 4 lug and while they are 15s instead of 14s they do have the same look. I was hoping to hear somebody say that they knew where to get a set.

The moment of inertia of a thin ring is twice that of a cylinder or thin disk of the same radius and mass.

If we have two wheels with the same mass and diameter, yet one of them looks like the G1 insight wheel, and the other looks like a sporty wheel with very few spokes, Then the spoked wheel obviously has more of its mass on the outside ring. The wheel that looks like a disk will require less force to accelerate.

Anyway. OP when finding your wheels, weight is important, but if two wheels are the same weight, pick the one that looks like more of the material is closer to the center of the wheel, not a sturdy rim supported by very thin spokes.

Last edited by llpancholl; 06-29-2013 at 07:18 PM.
llpancholl is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2013, 12:14 PM  
Lifetime Member

Yes, the gen 2 is 4x100 and fit wheels fit. Most gen 2 owners go with tires they like vs higher mpg for the better handling.

Cobb is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2013, 04:33 PM  
Hypermiler

Garage

Experiment with air pressure.

..Bob
, IMAC&C
'01 mt, Silver, 222k,
, MIMA, currently "
"
'00 Citrus,, 184k,
, MIMA,

'01 mt, Oxy Blue, 218k

Go Navy, or don't go
Mountain driver is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2013, 12:21 PM  

there are a few decent choises of OEM wheels out there. I have started taking weights of my different wheels and tires.

96-00 civic HX wheels with my 175/65-14 Hankook I-Pike winter tires.
-27.300 lbs. each 109.200 lbs. per set

00-06 insight wheels with OEM bridgstone RE92 tires.
-22.712 lbs. each 90.848 lbs. per set

thats a difference of 18.352 lbs in rotating weight.

maybe we should start a thread with different tires/wheel combos with precice weights (no bathroom scales).

I will weigh the OEM insight wheels with the worn out cheapo tires that are on the front soon.
ThinkFab is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2013, 05:14 AM  

Really appreciate this post. Itís hard to sort the good from the bad sometimes, but I think youíve nailed it!

Last edited by JoannaKat55; 12-27-2014 at 06:54 AM.
JoannaKat55 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in