A few things fixed. 48 to 57 mpg - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > MPG Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2013, 12:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default A few things fixed. 48 to 57 mpg

So over the weekend I had a chance to check on things that might be lowering my MPG. And today I got the data back.

My MPG has increased from about 48 to now 57. Although I was trying harder than normal. But the car goes into lean burn a lot easier and wants to stay there now.

Here is what I fixed.

-Rear brake slight drag on left side. Re-centered shoes and re-adjusted the star wheel for no drag. Right side was already drag free.

-Rear wheels had oxidized which gave the wheels a bad run out (side to side shimmy) while you watched them rotate. Cleaned and are now almost perfect to the eye.

-put a bottle of gumout regane complete fuel system cleaner that says for 21 gal in about 7 gal of gas.

Also I just fixed my EVAP but my MPG does not include that yet. The purge solenoid (next to the air filter) was rusted on the inside valve and would not open for vacuum flow. I took it apart (bent the four prongs) and cleaned it. Works great now. I suspect my MPG will now go up a few points due to reclaiming the "free" fuel vapors.

Last edited by Thursday; 09-04-2013 at 12:25 AM.
Thursday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2013, 01:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Linsight Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday View Post
-Rear wheels had oxidized which gave the wheels a bad run out (side to side shimmy) while you watched them rotate. Cleaned and are now almost perfect to the eye.
Can you elaborate on how you cleaned the oxidized bearing?
mudder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2013, 09:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudder View Post
Can you elaborate on how you cleaned the oxidized bearing?
I read that as oxidation between the wheel and the hub, causing the wheel to be uneven.

Pretty old thread -- maybe they'll clarify and maybe not.
"Sleekit" Red 2000 MT, MIMA #38, GCO1 charger/discharger, OBDIIC&C, Group 22NF deep cycle 12v, Hybrid ReVolt TPS Mod, Rostra Cruise Control w/ lean burn mod (in testing), RE92'[email protected] I try to drive the speed limit
Silver 2005 Jeep CRD Limited (diesel)
Solar energy-plus home (makes more power than we use)
TX-WA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thats correct TX-WA,

The hub mounting area on the backside of my wheels had corroded pretty bad. To the point that the wheels wobbled if you spun them by hand. I also remember some of the corrosion had to be removed from the brake drum surface, where the wheel hub mates. Although this wasn't as bad as the backside of the wheels.

I used a flat head screw driver to stab and pick off the high areas of corrosion. I put the wheel back on and it still wobbled. So I took it off and picked off more. Then it finally spun true.

I think it's just the fact that I live in one of the States where cars rust easily from the salt on the winter roads, the humidity in the summer, and the condensation during cool nights.

Last edited by Thursday; 12-22-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Thursday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in