2004 Honda Insight CVT MPG help - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > MPG Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2014, 02:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2004 Honda Insight CVT MPG help

This forum convinced me to try out a honda insight. I love it so far, exactly the kind of car I want. I was just wondering if there were any new tips or recommendations for my 2004 CVT. I seem to only be hitting around ~50 mpg on my trips. I've pumped front tires up to 38 and the back tires up to 35, but it seems to be only slightly marginally better. Any tips?
hammy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2014, 02:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

The best tip is to include your location in your profile. Other INSIGHTERS in your area may be willing to meet you and show you the "secrets".

HTH
Willie
WELCOME to the FAMILY.
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2014, 08:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Hypermiler

Garage

Hammy:

I run an '01 cvt with some success. I'll list some of the things that have the biggest impact for me:

- Big Factor: OEM Bridgestone Potenza RE-92 tires. P165/65's.
- Big Factor: air up your tires to at least sidewall (44 psi), consider airing up more. I run 65 psi. There are risks with increased pressure, be aware.
- Biggest Factor: SLOW DOWN. I run 50 mph on 65 mph highway. Be wary of fast approaching traffic from behind.
- Big Factor: Whenever able, ease off the fuel just a touch (watch your fcd) and 'lock' your foot. You'll get the feel for it the more you drive the car.

Those are some starters. The rest is practice, practice, practice.

Here's a link to an article by Wayne Gerdes over on Cleanmpg.com. He talks about hypermiling techniques and how to be safe doing it.
http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1510
, IMAC&C
'01 mt, Silver, 222k,
, MIMA, currently "
"
'00 Citrus,, 184k,
, MIMA,

'01 mt, Oxy Blue, 218k

Go Navy, or don't go

Last edited by Mountain driver; 04-01-2014 at 08:56 PM.
Mountain driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in