Multihole Injector possible upgrade need a set - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > MPG Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2014, 01:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Multihole Injector possible upgrade need a set

I got my injector shop friend to find a newer designed multihole injector for our cars. He needs a set for evaluation and to see what machining needs to be done so they fit (and plugs for electric harness matching, etc.
Anyone lend me a set for a month or so? or sell? I will offer a credit or discount on your set for assistance.
Thanks!
Tommy
thillskier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2014, 10:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Our injectors are already the newer style multi-hole (5 holes) ones which have very good atomization.

Last edited by 02insight; 05-23-2014 at 01:15 PM.
02insight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2014, 06:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Default Injectors needed (still)

Ok, good to know, however, there are tweaks available (extrudehoning for one) Injector experts may be able to get them staying in LB even longer/easier. There are some issues with some, at least mine, related to cat fouling, as my cat completely failed from soot fouling (beyong hard running cleaning it) had to be removed/replaced. It wasn't oil fouling (I checked), so fueling issues must have been at least partially responsible, IMHO.

Its not just multi hopes that make them atomize optimally. Spray pattern and consistency between sets is also very important and contributory to max efficiency. As no one else is doing this at this point, I want to investigate it as part of a few things I learned in yrs of chasing efficiency in Airplane engines (with very good success).

SO, offer is there still.
I want to buy a set or borrow a set for investigation of possibilities to improve spray patterns and efficiency.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2014, 08:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Default Injectors needed (still)

Ok, good to know, however, there are tweaks available (extrudehoning for one) Injector experts may be able to get them staying in LB even longer/easier. There are some issues with some, at least mine, related to cat fouling, as my cat completely failed from soot fouling (beyong hard running cleaning it) had to be removed/replaced. It wasn't oil fouling (I checked), so fueling issues must have been at least partially responsible, IMHO.

Its not just multi hopes that make them atomize optimally. Spray pattern and consistency between sets is also very important and contributory to max efficiency. As no one else is doing this at this point, I want to investigate it as part of a few things I learned in yrs of chasing efficiency in Airplane engines (with very good success).

SO, offer is there still.
I want to buy a set or borrow a set for investigation of possibilities to improve spray patterns and efficiency.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Default Coming

Got a source and some are ordered
Old 05-16-2014, 01:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Are the insight injectors high or low z units?
1K100-PHM-010
37820-PHM-316
MaximumFuelage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2014, 12:41 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumFuelage View Post
Are the insight injectors high or low z units?
They are High impedance. Around 13ohms
Old 05-17-2014, 04:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Default Thanks everyone for ypur info and help!

ASAP I get the specs and other info I'll post up on a new thread. All input re specs etc is much appreciated. My guy thinks he can machine the new Bosch units to fit. They have the latest in manufacturing advances and much better atomization than past designs. (supposedly) We will test and see, of course!

Hopefully cost is not too bad. As more cars are wrecked there will be a lower cost market of them available rebuilt and matched, hopefully soon.
I'm trying to find out what they come in as standard eqpt for sourcing from pull a part etc.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

I did some research about our injectors some time ago when installing a turbo. Our Injectors are top feed Denso Part# 195500-3840 and Flow about 140cc/min at 43.5 psi (3bar). The physical size of our injectors is nothing special, a lot of other cars use similar denso injectors with the same shape and plug, but different flow rates. From outside they look exactly the same, and even have similar high Z, but just the flow rates are different.

You can use these websites to find data about various injectors and try to cross reference using google to find a car which uses ones that have the same or close flow rate as Insight Injectors:
Denso fuel injectors, top feed and side feed, connectors, flow
WitchHunter Performance - Injector Cleaning & Flow Testing Services (go to Denso Top Feed section)

If you install higher flow rate injectors, the car will still mange, but only upto a certain point because the car cant adjust fuel trims that much. And ofcourse the MPG reading will be wrong.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Default 02 Insight

AND burn more fuel all the time, so maybe not inaccurate with waste considered...guess it depends on how much more flow injectors some idiot would install (unless he turboed or other FI), and chose to fit that fuel (un)need.

Only an IDIOT would put higher flow injectors in a NA engine w/o LARGE airflow increases! from some source! Cams in BMW M3's use 22cc/min vs 19 cc/min for example..NOT much difference there, and BMW knows efficiency needs injectors running as close to capacity as possible, for best spray patterns and therefore mpg/efficiency. People add bigger cams to e36 M3 all the time using stock injectors, without issue, much less 22 cc./min needed.

So, obviously, the flow rate is the "devil in the details", or reason I can't order from JC WHITNEY, or rather Summit!!, JC Whitney is not good stuff!
I have a friend who makes custom injector housings (where the holes are). He tells me that holes are rough as hell on all injectors, and just streamlining the holes increases atomization a LOT. What a LOT is, is TBD. But, I am on it,
and will report ASAP I get a response I can VERIFY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in