Rain - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > MPG Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2014, 07:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rain

Had a great example of how rain can affect MPG. A trip from Maine down to Massachusetts yesterday, new full tank, good roads, freeway some attention paid to mileage, arrived at destination with 68 mpg including lots of 70mph, 120 miles covered. The return was mostly in a driving rainstorm, the one that dropped 13 inches on LI. Tank now reads 59.6, same road, mostly running 55 mpg or slower. Much of the time spent under 50 mpg.
replacing my totaled 2000 Insight, red 160k. "Tardis"
Mileage: 65mpg on 80 mile commute summer, 55 in winter with studded snows.
seabag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2014, 10:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

Wouldn't driving slower give you better MPG's? Was there more stop-n-go traffic in the rain? Did you have heat and/or defrost on?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 MT BLACK Honda Insight.
Insightlover2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2014, 11:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

I too notice a pretty substantial hit when driving in the rain. Guess the "air" is a lot harder to push out of the way when it becomes "the sea."
Add in the resistance on the tires of water on the road...

Want to see the biggest hit? A warm rain that eventually requires you to run the defogger... Ouch. It can be near impossible to hit 50 MPG for that highway trip.
Currently 185K miles, LMPG-58.9 (darn SATX traffic!)
jrmgarcia@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2014, 07:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

i drove lat weekend from DC to home in NC and got 66mpg and this was calculated at the fill-up. On the way back, hit rain most of the time and was unable to get into lean burn much if at all and used much more battery along the way. Felt the drag from the rain. Got 58 on the road back with the same driving habit and only one stop along the way.

Price of having the cool car! way better than my S420 at 21 mph on premium...RLTW
Ranger_blackhat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2014, 09:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insightlover2011 View Post
Wouldn't driving slower give you better MPG's? Was there more stop-n-go traffic in the rain? Did you have heat and/or defrost on?
Driving slower would help if it wasn't for the rain. Traffic was moving smoothly just down around 50-55 instead of 65-70 due to visibility and fear of hydroplaning. Heat and defrost were off. Just a drag and traction issue.
replacing my totaled 2000 Insight, red 160k. "Tardis"
Mileage: 65mpg on 80 mile commute summer, 55 in winter with studded snows.
seabag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2014, 09:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Never thought of drag from rain being an issue, or heavier "air". But I guess it makes sense.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 MT BLACK Honda Insight.
Insightlover2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2014, 02:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Indicated 120+ MPG for 40 miles at 80+ mph behind this sailboat... Drafting is more important than anything else that can be done. <-- that's a period.

2-14 - New clutch, new clutch hydraulic system, new headlights, rear spoiler, new CATs, new secondary O2, 48 mpg (actual) daily driver @ 166,000 miles.
ImpatientInventor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2014, 02:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Most of the time you are drafting you are also driving slowly.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
Most of the time you are drafting you are also driving slowly.
I draft in Chicago pre-rush-hour traffic 80 miles a day most of the time well over 65 mph.

Porsche Cayennes are good for a draft up to 105 mph at 80 mpg. I like big buts and I can not lie!!!
2-14 - New clutch, new clutch hydraulic system, new headlights, rear spoiler, new CATs, new secondary O2, 48 mpg (actual) daily driver @ 166,000 miles.
ImpatientInventor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2014, 11:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabag View Post
Had a great example of how rain can affect MPG. A trip from Maine down to Massachusetts yesterday, new full tank, good roads, freeway some attention paid to mileage, arrived at destination with 68 mpg including lots of 70mph, 120 miles covered. The return was mostly in a driving rainstorm, the one that dropped 13 inches on LI. Tank now reads 59.6, same road, mostly running 55 mpg or slower. Much of the time spent under 50 mpg.
I too notice a significant reduction in MPG when the road is drenched. I think I've notice two factors. It requires some considerable energy to push water aside in front of the tires. You will nice this effect when you run through a deep puddle. The car will actually pull to one side or another. Second, raising literally hundreds of gallons of water to 10' or so is a tremendous amount of pumping. This is another big loss of energy.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in