What is effecting my mpg the most? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > MPG Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2014, 03:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Premium Member

Default What is effecting my mpg the most?

I'm trying to find out what's effecting my mpg the most of all my current problems. Right now im getting between 50-55mpg at most with heavy coasting, going no more then 55mph with some 45mph and 35mph cruising in 5th. Current problems are as follows.

Knockoff wheels 185/65R14 I think, they may be 75r14 or 85r14 I'll have to check Thursday.
HX rims.
O2 sensor is bad. Very, very bad.
Missing under engine paneling. Is there supposed to be paneling at the rear of the car?
Exhaust leak right under first cat. (I think a gasket is bad, part #12 on majestic Honda on the exhaust tab).
Passenger side motor mount and rear mount are shot.

I'm thinking the o2 sensor is the worst, then the knockoff tires, then the motor mounts when taking off, no? Would like some input on what I should repair first.

[Edit]: The o2 sensor is on its way to my house, and I already have the motor mounts. Just don't know how to install them.

~The weirdest fur you will ever meet O.o rwar!
Balto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2014, 03:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

As a wild guess, because I changed my medication, is "tighten up the loose nut on the steering wheel".
Be patient, ICN will get you there yet.

HTH
Wilie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2014, 04:01 AM   #3 (permalink)

Balto:
Here is something I just ran across that might help:
Number 1 02 sensor on AMAZON for $118.00.....NEW
HTH
Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

Last edited by Willie Williford; 10-01-2014 at 04:05 AM.
Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2014, 07:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

Make sure your plugs aren't loose like mine were, Balto.

I thought the motor mounts were bad in mine too, but I found out it only shook on start up from the plugs being so loose. Once they were torqued down the thing purrs like a kitten
cowmeat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2014, 08:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

The tires are probably hurting you badly.

If you aren't getting into lean burn, that is hurting badly.

As Willie says, driving technique can hurt badly, but you have to have a good car before you can learn the technique.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

Yup, tires/wheels make a way bigger difference than you'd ever think.

RIP 2000 Insight, 40k miles @ 69.2 mpg
2000 Insight, AKA "The Basket Case" or "The Go Pod" @185k miles @ 63.5 mpg
-IMAC&C, OBDIIC&C, Scott's aero panel, grid charger, cheapo sound system
samwichse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2014, 10:39 AM   #7 (permalink)

Concur with all of the above.

I would start with tire (weigh the cost/benefit ratio for your amount of driving)

Also consider:

- FUEL INJECTOR CLEANING/REBUILD. supposedly only like $75 for the three.

- CAT clog

Insight T-Shirts 4Sale: PM Me.
Monte Carlo Blue 01 5spd w/CRZ seats
CDN Aquamarine Blue 01 DDSOLD to fellow Insighter friend
Silver 01 5spd #0160 Sold to fellow Insight owner
Citrus #1159 Sold to Insight Fan
Red '00 A/C project SOLD to fellow Insighter friend
Citrus #2083
Sold to a fellow Insight owner.
Red '01 A/C parts car.
freezin4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2014, 11:07 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balto View Post
I'm trying to find out what's effecting my mpg the most of all my current problems. Right now im getting between 50-55mpg at most with heavy coasting, going no more then 55mph with some 45mph and 35mph cruising in 5th.

I get better mpg in 4th at 30-35 mph. The top two gears are both overdrive gears so 4th isn't all that bad.

I forgot, is your car a MT or CVT?

Knockoff wheels 185/65R14 I think, they may be 75r14 or 85r14 I'll have to check Thursday.
HX rims.

Get the OEM tires on the car and pickup 5 to 10% mpg.

O2 sensor is bad. Very, very bad.

BINGO! It's a requirement that the gas engine runs correctly to get good mpg.

Missing under engine paneling. Is there supposed to be paneling at the rear of the car?

At the speeds you mention the under paneling isn't as important as it ought to be at higher speeds. Yes there are some under panels towards the back of the car. Do a search on under paneling etc for pictures of all the panels.

Exhaust leak right under first cat. (I think a gasket is bad, part #12 on majestic Honda on the exhaust tab).

That could be upsetting the 2nd O2 sensor and causing you to think the 1st sensor is bad.

Passenger side motor mount and rear mount are shot.

Other then the engine falling out of the car that shouldn't affect your mpg once you are moving along (assuming the engine isn't hanging from the drive shafts

I'm thinking the o2 sensor is the worst, then the knockoff tires, then the motor mounts when taking off, no? Would like some input on what I should repair first.

Fix the exhaust leak first. Undo the two lower spring loaded bolts at the bottom of the cat converter, then remove the top 3 bolts (after soaking them with penetrating oil for a day or so) THEN take off the bolt near the bottom of the cat converter holding it on to the bracket. You can lift the cat upwards out of the car after you disconnect the two O2 sensor connectors.

[Edit]: The o2 sensor is on its way to my house, and I already have the motor mounts. Just don't know how to install them.
On my car the exhaust pipe is in the way to remove the long bolt that holds the mount onto the bracket. Loosen the two rear motor mount bolts, unbolt the 4 bracket bolts from the engine, then remove the two mount mount bolts.

You might also try some injector cleaner. I've had good luck through the years with Techron cleaner.

1963 Lotus 7 replica, 12 mpg

1962 Henny Kilowatt, 40 miles/charge @ 40 mph

My website

* Hack your OBDIIc&c
* Cool the IMA battery
* DIY Fix rear motor mount
* DIY Grid charger/discharger build instructions etc
* My grid charger/discharger thread on the forum

Last edited by olrowdy01; 10-01-2014 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Added info about injector cleaner
olrowdy01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2014, 01:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Pump up your tires to about 60 PSI and see if that has much of an impact. I agree with the above. Some people have said that any tire other than the original size, brand, etc will drop you 10 MPG.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premium Member

Well I'm a hypermiler so there really isn't a nut to adjust, but due to the lack of power right now I have to use a hell of a lot more throttle to move.

Tires aren't high on my list, due to the fact they are still in good condition, and I have more pressing things to fix.

Do I really have to remove the cat just to replace that gasket?

~The weirdest fur you will ever meet O.o rwar!
Balto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in