MPG's in the mid 30's. What am I missing? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > MPG Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2014, 10:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default MPG's in the mid 30's. What am I missing?

Hello all. I am very new to the Hybrid. I have read a lot of threads and have done a lot of work to my Insight and still not getting anywhere close to the Mpg's everyone talks about. Here is a list of things I have done since I bought the car a few months ago:

2002 CVT Insight with 135,000 miles

New honda spark plugs matched to the letter on the head. All were B's if I remember correctly.

New air filter.

Replaced the CVT fluid twice with Honda fluid

Cleaned the EGR plate and valve, intake manifold and throttle body.

New pcv valve

tire pressure at 44. not the factory tires but they are almost brand new. no need in replacing them anytime soon

Removed the interior carpet, was nasty and worn out.

Even tried removing the passenger and rear wiper arms.

I have noticed I get low to middle 40's on the highway, even close to 50 if I try REALLY, REALLY hard.

I know driving habits affect mpg a lot but even when my 74 year old mom drives the car she only averages in the high 30's.

I am missing the aero panels under the engine and transmission. All the others are present and in good shape.

I have read that these little cars will get in the mid 30's without the IMA system being used. I have noticed that when I flip the switch to turn it off that the gauge still shows it is charging and assisting. Only thing that doesn't work is the passenger side window when the switch is turned off.

Also feels like the regen really pulls the car down. I'll lose speed going down a hill. I try to put it in neutral down long hills. Some times when I put in back in gear is makes a squeak/squeal noise and jerk pretty hard, and sometimes it won't.

Is there a way to tell if the IMA systems is actually assisting? I have no check engine lights on or any other lights on in the dash.

what am I missing? Help!!
tommyb16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2014, 04:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

What is your typical length of journey? If you do mostly short trips in crawling traffic, the car will rarely get up to operating temperature and therefore will not get higher mpg figures.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

Non-re92's are docking you 8-15mpg depending on your situation. Driving style also has a massive impact. Also, do you drive the car in 'sport' mode?

How much throttle on flat ground do you have to use to keep the car moving at 55mph? Do you have a OBD2C&C, scangauge, ultragauge or other monitoring software? Because you could have a clogged catalytic converter. Prior to me fixing my clogged #2 cat, I was getting mid 40's around down driving like a grandma, and now I get high 50's low 60's since I fixed it, and I drive more aggressively. I have a manual, but I don't think that makes that much of a difference.

I would really like to know what your average commute is like.

~The weirdest fur you will ever meet O.o rwar!
Balto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2014, 01:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Does the engine shut off at stop signs and stop lights? Is the HVAC in the "econ" mode or the auto mode?
Old 10-14-2014, 01:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

You have the ASSIST/REGEN gauge. What is it showing you? (Green or yellow)

Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2014, 01:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyb16 View Post

I have read that these little cars will get in the mid 30's without the IMA system being used. I have noticed that when I flip the switch to turn it off that the gauge still shows it is charging and assisting. Only thing that doesn't work is the passenger side window when the switch is turned off.
That switch is just for the pass power window ( i presume your talking about the one labeled "main"). the IMA switch is in the back behind you.
2000 #1007 orig owner
mt/ac,
First insight to twist the camshaft
biododge1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2014, 09:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Hypermiler

Garage

tommyb16,

Welcome, sorry to hear you're having troubles.

Aero panels and tires do hurt the mpg, but shouldn't knock you down that far.

I have an '01 cvt, and even when driving it real hard I get in the high 40's.

Tell us a little more about your dash indications as the above posters have asked. Such as 'charge' (we call it regen) and 'assist' ? Charge and assist functional ? Charging all the time ?

Trouble indicator lights. Are the trouble lights working ? Watch them when you 1st turn the key on, they should all light momentarily, even the yellow IMA light on the right side of the dash display.

Your driving conditions and habits? Stop and go, slow city driving, fast highway driving, speed you travel and such ?

Brakes rubbing / dragging ? Will it roll downhill freely ? (Sidestreet with a hill, no traffic, engine off, key on, neutral, hear any rubbing ?) Alignment issues ? (Tracks straight on level flat road, hands off steering wheel ? while braking?)

btw: good move on the Honda name brand cvt fluid. Costs, but worth it. Make certain it's not 'automatic transmission fluid'. Only 'CVT fluid'.

Regards,
, IMAC&C
'01 mt, Silver, 222k,
, MIMA, currently "
"
'00 Citrus,, 184k,
, MIMA,

'01 mt, Oxy Blue, 218k

Go Navy, or don't go
Mountain driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2014, 01:47 AM   #8 (permalink)

if you still suspect egr issues, i suggest completely replacing the egr valve with an accord or oddesy one; should be abround $70. having the aero panels and re92s will definately help some regardless of any other issues you're having.
#1 2000 MT, 200k+ mi, owned since 2014, got new old engine in 2016
#2 2000 MT, 200k+ mi, owned since 2015, No A/C, lots of dents, works
Best tank: 69 MPG . . . Recent tank: 64 MPG, June 2016
johnnyviri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2014, 09:29 AM   #9 (permalink)

Lacking any DTC I would suggest first check your tire pressures.
Stop on very slight incline and see how easy it will roll. Perhaps
a dragging brake.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:50 AM   #10 (permalink)

I've found using premium fuel in my state (which has 10% alcohol), drops the mpg from 50's to the 30's in my CVT insight and 60's to 40's with my manual.
astrolink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in