Info - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > MPG Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2014, 10:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Info

Hi all....I looked for a thread that addressed this question, but couldn't find one, so here goes...I have a 2004 CVT and a 2004 5-speed and the CVT gets way less mpg than the manual does. I expected some difference, but not 15-20 MPG!
My question is... Is there an easy way to see if someone has somehow modified the ECM for more of a performance curve? It seems to have noticeably more acceleration than the manual does, but the mpg is in the mid 40's.....
It does have Yokohama 175/65-14 tires on it, but that shouldn't make THAT much difference....3-5 mpg at most I would think. The lower panels are in place and the tire pressures are identical to the manual. I do have the really trick 1 piece aluminum lower panel on the manual, but not on the CVT yet.
There was a sticker under the hood for an Insight "performance" shop, but the phone number was disconnected!
Can I read it with a code/diagnostic meter? My last resort would be to take it to my favorite Honda dealer here in the St. Louis area and see what they say, but that would be my last resort....
Thanks for any assistance............ Later
hdbueller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2014, 11:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

It's virtually certain the ecm has not been modified in any way.
It's almost impossible to do on an Insight. 15 year old chips and no one has the right programmers any more and no one has the source code either asfaik.

Someone might have tried to fiddle the air intake temp sensor so the car fuels a bit richer, K&N Filter perhaps etc etc but that's about it.

The CVT's are all faster than the manual cars in my experience. They are always in the right gear for peak power and no time is lost shifting etc.

They weigh 80kg more than a manual car and the cvt has a high pressure oil pump inside it which consumes quite a bit of power.

Tyres and tyre pressures are a big hit. Your tyres will be costing at least 5 mpg

Also the US CVT do not have lean burn, whereas the manual cars and the JDM CVT car's do. That's a 5mpg mpg or so there as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ObdIIc&c, Imac&c, ImaBoost, Current Hacks available. Enqs to 150mpg[at]gmail.com
retepsnikrep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2014, 12:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for that info....now how do I reset the LMPG to see where I am actually at with my driving habits and not the previous owners habits? I only found one really old post, but the link was dead....404 error
Thanks

Last edited by retepsnikrep; 10-27-2014 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Needless quote removed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2014, 06:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdbueller View Post
Thanks for that info....now how do I reset the LMPG to see where I am actually at with my driving habits and not the previous owners habits? I only found one really old post, but the link was dead....404 error
Thanks
Use the trip gauge to check. Press the trip on the right side of the gauge until you see 'trip A' then hold the FCD button until it resets.

~The weirdest fur you will ever meet O.o rwar!
Balto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2014, 09:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balto View Post
Use the trip gauge to check. Press the trip on the right side of the gauge until you see 'trip A' then hold the FCD button until it resets.
Thanks for the info Balto....I also just ran across it while looking at the service and owners manual pdf's that were posted....LOL
Old 10-28-2014, 03:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Hypermiler

Garage

hdb: welcome and congrats on your 'dual ownership'. I have a pair of '01's cvt & mt. I'm a hypermiler and notice 15 to 20 difference in mpg on the pair. A smooth running mt is just that much better. I'd say your difference is normal.

Peter hit a couple good points, tires and non- lean burn for the US cvt. OEM tires will definitely increase the mpg, airing up some will add some more. Driving habits vary quite a bit and brings some 'spirited' discussion here on I.C.

Consider some Potenza's and keep on trucking.
, IMAC&C
'01 mt, Silver, 222k,
, MIMA, currently "
"
'00 Citrus,, 184k,
, MIMA,

'01 mt, Oxy Blue, 218k

Go Navy, or don't go
Mountain driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in