MPG with disconnected IMA - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > MPG Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2015, 12:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default MPG with disconnected IMA

My 2000 insight has a defective IMA motor (but it still charges the 12V battery) and the IMA battery is bad.

I removed the battery for weight savings. It also doesn't have A/C.

I've noticed my MPG is better than ever. Using it only for work, the speed limit is 45 for about 1/2 the ride and 55 for the rest. I drive about 200 miles a week.

With my last tank, I got 81.7mpg. It was never that good with a working IMA.

To mention though, if I use the car for a 70 mph freeway ride, it drops to the low 50's. Not enough oomph to push through any kind of hills without the IMA.
astrolink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2015, 02:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrolink View Post
My 2000 insight has a defective IMA motor (but it still charges the 12V battery) and the IMA battery is bad.

I removed the battery for weight savings. It also doesn't have A/C.

I've noticed my MPG is better than ever. Using it only for work, the speed limit is 45 for about 1/2 the ride and 55 for the rest. I drive about 200 miles a week.

With my last tank, I got 81.7mpg. It was never that good with a working IMA.

To mention though, if I use the car for a 70 mph freeway ride, it drops to the low 50's. Not enough oomph to push through any kind of hills without the IMA.
Are you the original owner? If not, how long have you been the owner?

Reason I ask is, when I bought my insight I thought I was doing good at about 62-63mpg with my old worn out battery that I had to charge once a month to keep alive. My first tank after getting my better one(I say better because it's a good used one) I got 70mpg. The car is way more responsive and doesn't background charge nearly as much as it used to with the newer battery.

My new CVT has a bad battery, and I have gotten 53.8mpg since I got it. Kinda lack luster compared to my manual but not too terrible.

~The weirdest fur you will ever meet O.o rwar!
Balto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2015, 03:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrolink View Post
My 2000 insight has a defective IMA motor
That's unheard of, what's wrong with it? Who investigated the problem? Useful to know.

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ObdIIc&c, Imac&c, ImaBoost, Current Hacks available. Enqs to 150mpg[at]gmail.com
retepsnikrep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2015, 03:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

Peter:
From his prior posts,......... I think he meant "IMA battery" instead of "motor"..

HTH
Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2015, 08:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

Actually, with the IMA, it throws a P1565 code and I don't want to bother to fix it. That's the IMA issue. I guess that makes it not really defective. It also had P1447 and P1449 codes with the battery.

I've used it as a backup. Don't have to worry about driving it to charge the IMA battery so it can sit long periods of time.

It gets better MPG below 55mph than any of the 5 I've had.

When I bought it last year, the previous owner was pretty much giving it away as it was running on 2 cylinders and the local Honda dealer told him it needed an engine rebuild. It needed a coil.

Last edited by astrolink; 04-16-2015 at 08:02 AM.
astrolink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2015, 11:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

When the IMA battery is marginal, frequent recals adversely impact mileage. This is substantial for HCH2. It can hurt mileage by as much as 20%. I've gone from high 40's to mid to high 30's.

When the IMA battery is bypassed or removed, you are now driving a very efficient 1.0L car. Stop and go mileage will suffer, but sustained cruising mileage should be as good as it would be with a brand new, perfect battery potentially a hair better because there is no background charging of the battery.

S Keith is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2015, 12:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Keith View Post
When the IMA battery is marginal, frequent recals adversely impact mileage. This is substantial for HCH2. It can hurt mileage by as much as 20%. I've gone from high 40's to mid to high 30's.

When the IMA battery is bypassed or removed, you are now driving a very efficient 1.0L car. Stop and go mileage will suffer, but sustained cruising mileage should be as good as it would be with a brand new, perfect battery potentially a hair better because there is no background charging of the battery.
This is exactly what I was trying to say, but didn't know how to word it, thanks.

~The weirdest fur you will ever meet O.o rwar!
Balto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2015, 01:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Keith View Post

And a hair better because of slightly less weight too.

Jim.

Tail Extension:
3-Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2015, 08:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

Yep, at a steady-state where you can control engine loading and speed, pure gasoline will always win out. The problem is that driving requires wasting lots of energy (braking) that could better be used to recover energy to be spent later (a battery). Using an ICE to charge a battery to power an electric motor is actually pretty inefficient but it is the best way to compensate for the needs of variable power output.

This is why we don't have hybrid lawnmowers, generators, ships or trains!
2004 Silver MT #289
Best tank: 83.3 MPG over 810 miles
Average ~70 MPG
mct75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2015, 09:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mct75 View Post
Yep, at a steady-state where you can control engine loading and speed, pure gasoline will always win out. The problem is that driving requires wasting lots of energy (braking) that could better be used to recover energy to be spent later (a battery). Using an ICE to charge a battery to power an electric motor is actually pretty inefficient but it is the best way to compensate for the needs of variable power output.

This is why we don't have hybrid lawnmowers, generators, ships or trains!
Agree with you on every count except trains. I had no idea they existed, but when I read "trains" in your post, it actually occurred to me they are GREAT candidates for an electric hybrid system... apparently, I wasn't the first to think of it...

GE's Hybrid Locomotive Moves A Ton Of Freight 500 Miles On A Gallon Of Fuel - Industry Tap

S Keith is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in