Getting a little over 60mpg hypermiling, please help! - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > MPG Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2015, 11:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Getting a little over 60mpg hypermiling, please help!

I just bought my 2000 MT last week and am trying to go for gold with my MPG's. The car currently doesn't have potenzas on it and the IMA needs some love but aside from that, it should be able to do what others can. I drove at 65mph for 125 miles with heavy crosswinds, not much headwind and got 58mpg. Then, my wife drove it for another 125 miles on slower roads at 55mph that were somewhat hilly and got 62mpg. We were really doing a lot of hypermiling techniques of slow acceleration, watching our gears, being super judicious with braking and watching our current mpgs and trying to maximize lean burn (we have a Civic HX as well so we already are well acquainted with lbn).

I was hoping to do a lot better than this, for our maiden voyage but I would like some tips to see what we might be doing wrong or if our experience is par for the course. I was hoping to get at least 70mpg's as I currently can beat the EPA rating in just about any car I drive.

The car really didn't like 5th gear all that much, I am used to puttering around in 5th whenever I can in the civic but this car has less power band in 5th it seems, I don't know if the crosswinds just wrecked that trip or what but it seemed pretty starved for power.
redeemed763 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2015, 12:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sounds pretty "average" for a "newbie". It takes many many miles of driving to get really good at hypermileing.
Total Miles on Vehicle?
What is the LMPG?

HTH
Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2015, 12:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Total miles are just over 170k, true life mpg is 64.5, hasn't been reset. The car was a cream puff from its first owners, an older couple, the next owner took care of it and was good to it. I feel like I lucked out with a good life mpg car, I just hate to see it DROP with me!

The guy I bought it from said that crosswinds seem to hurt it as much as headwinds, which I think kind of stinks that it does bad with 3 out of 4 directions. It was getting 20-35mph crosswinds for much of the trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2015, 01:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

If your experience turns out anything like mine, I would tend to the imbalance in the battery pack right away.

Two ways to go initially:

1) Install a CalPod IMA disable switch.
2) Go the approach listed by Mike Dabrowski on his website 99mpg.com.

The CalPod IMA disable stops all background charging of the IMA, until the SOC gets low enough that it continues on anyway.

Look at Mikes site and think about installing the trickle charger using the Meanwell power supplies.

Picasa Web Albums - Jim - Battery Trick...

When I first bought the Insight, I:

1) adjusted the valves
2) checked the underbody panels for protrusions hanging down (there were some)
3) cleaned the EGR and passages
4) cleaned mouse home from intake filter
5) pumped up tires to 55 psi
6) started reading about FAS and engine off coasting
7) looked at the BSFC chart and started keeping the engine in that range when accelerating, depending on conditions
8 use a ScanGauge to keep track of essential parameters
9) start learning how the car likes to be driven (for me, this was the longest)

There was a post that said something like, "You know your an EcoDriver when....". There were a lot of good suggestions there on that topic.

Willie is correct. This car can keep you occupied for a long time.

Jim.

Tail Extension:

Last edited by 3-Wheeler; 05-04-2015 at 01:28 PM.
3-Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2015, 01:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

The car already has calpod from previous owner, egr is clean, valves are tuned, have a scan gauge already, I might get a OBDIIC&C someday though.

How much is a new battery from bumblebee or hybrid revolt going to help things if I get a IMAC&C as well? Right now I am afraid of using the IMA too much for fear of getting a light, seems like the IMAC&C is premature until I get a fresh battery as I am kind of crippled in what I can do with IMA until I get a fresh battery.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

why not take the battery out and recondition it?

you can see what the capacities are in the current state and then compare to the capacities you get for the sticks after you recondition the pack.

then add the leads and fuse for a small balancing charger to top balance the pack when it gets to the IMA light eventually.

it is better to get the pack in balance as early in it's history as is possible. it will last longer then and give more assist.

you can put off the IMA light a long time that way imo.
2000 MT Insight #3227 115k, 2004 HCH MT 195k

503 2382074
dnmun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2015, 02:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

This car is my daily driver, is it hard to rig the car for no IMA use for a few weeks? Don't you have to do something to it before it can be used with no IMA battery?
Old 05-04-2015, 02:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

Read this ref for some techniques:

Beating the EPA - The Why’s and How to Hypermile - CleanMPG Forums

A few things I spot right away:
1. Any tire other than the Bridgestone RE92 is going to cost some Mpg
2. Your speed is too high. The magic compromise for highway is 50-55.
3. Set your tire pressures to Max Load of 44psi. Many hypermilers run as high as 80 psi without ill effects, but anything over 65 is probably a waste.
4. If your IMA battery is in poor enough condition that it is constantly charging in the background, then that will hurt.
5. A/C will cost 8 mpg plus or minus.
6. Stops really hurt. Try to time stops.

Don't be intimidated by the super numbers you sometimes see. Those numbers are frequently set under competition conditions, with short range competition techniques, and with special equipment.

A realistic target for a highway trip, without FASing, is around 90mpg. You will get better with practice. Practice getting into lean burn and staying there.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

redeemed,
Potenza's will make quite a difference, and depending on the state of the IMA it make be creating mpg-sucking drag.

You also may want to be sure that you are getting Autostop by turning off heat or a/c as you decelerate to a stop. (Turn it off before 19mph)

If you get up to Madison I'd be happy to ride along with you for a bit.

And lastly, you shoudl definitely plan on coming to InsightFest 2015 in Wisconsin. You'll be able to meet with other owners in person and have a weekend of Insight-focused fun.

608-729-4082

Mobile service also available
ericbecky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2015, 03:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jime View Post
Read this ref for some techniques:

Beating the EPA - The Why’s and How to Hypermile - CleanMPG Forums

A few things I spot right away:
1. Any tire other than the Bridgestone RE92 is going to cost some Mpg
2. Your speed is too high. The magic compromise for highway is 50-55.
3. Set your tire pressures to Max Load of 44psi. Many hypermilers run as high as 80 psi without ill effects, but anything over 65 is probably a waste.
4. If your IMA battery is in poor enough condition that it is constantly charging in the background, then that will hurt.
5. A/C will cost 8 mpg plus or minus.
6. Stops really hurt. Try to time stops.

Don't be intimidated by the super numbers you sometimes see. Those numbers are frequently set under competition conditions, with short range competition techniques, and with special equipment.

A realistic target for a highway trip, without FASing, is around 90mpg. You will get better with practice. Practice getting into lean burn and staying there.
I have been hypermiling my Civic HX for 2 years, getting 40mpg city (even in winter sometimes), 50mpg highway with lrr tires and a scan gauge to help find lbn, using a block heater in winter time to minimize cold starts ect.

I may be new to the insight, but definitely not to hypermiling, I just assumed that with the skills I have picked up, I would be able to hit or beat the EPA #'s. BTW, my insight has no ac so its already lighter than most and I don't even have the option of robbing my mpg's with it. I cool myself with beaded seat covers and shorts/t shirt and sandals and the fan on medium if I need it. I would think that with the potenzas and slowing down that much, I should be able to get closer to the 90 you mentioned, but I don't think it makes sense why it was down so low on this trip. This trip didn't have more than a dozen stops the whole way (250 miles) so I don't know how much a tiny nuance of perfecting that will make much difference, but yes, I was timing the lights and using regen at worst case, no brakes.

I would have thought I would be seeing 58mpg's if I just tried to go 70mph and didn't hypermile at all, not going 65mph with a lot of coaxing on grades and babying to maintain lbn (yes I could feel it). In truth, it really had a hard time getting lbn at 65mph, the power just wasn't there with the wind blowing me all over the place.

Have any of you noticed a hard time getting the mpg's with high crosswinds?

I would love to go to the insightfest in WI, its only about an hour from me but vacation time is precious for us so I may only make it to one day if thats ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in