how do you guys get good mileage at high speeds - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > MPG Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2015, 01:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default how do you guys get good mileage at high speeds

so i keep seeing various posts and replies of people getting around 60-70 mpg traveling at speeds of 70-80 mph. for the life of me, i can achieve nothing of the sort compared to there stats. going 70 i get between 50-55, at 80 i get nothing more than 50, typically around 45. around town, i get somewhere in the range of 65-70 mpg on a tank. this is also a slight concern due to so many individuals getting much better around town results, then again Tallahassee does have a few hills. typically my average driving speed is around 40 mph. i can see when my car enters lean burn reaching around110 mpg instant, what else can possibly be making my mpg so much more different.

now im looking for answers not including the driver as the issue. on the highway, i hold the pedal only enough to keep the speed constant, does not seem to enter into LB, no boost of instant mpg after reaching cruising speeds.

around town, im a snail. 1st takes me up to 6-9 mph, 2nd-to about 16mph 3rd- til 30-32 mph 4th- til 38-40mph and 5th there out, and this is my acceleration schedule if you will, not cruising. if im cruising in a neighborhood, you can find me in 4th gear going 25 mph. in general i keep the RPM's low and have the IMA crawl me up to speed.

also, IMA battery is in fairly good condition, does not throw me codes anymore, stays in the upper half of its charge range, and is conditioned very regularly for max performance and to prolong its funeral.

if you guys have any idea what may be wrong with my car please let me know! im stumped! THANKS!

2000 MT 160k. PNP MIMA #173.
cameron6741 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2015, 02:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

I've owned two mt insights, and both behaved almost identically.

The highest speed I can trip average 70 mpg is around 63-64 mph.

Instantaneously, you can do better, but average for the trip? No. Not unless there's some magic sauce I don't know of.

RIP 2000 Insight, 40k miles @ 69.2 mpg
2000 Insight, AKA "The Basket Case" or "The Go Pod" @185k miles @ 63.5 mpg
-IMAC&C, OBDIIC&C, Scott's aero panel, grid charger, cheapo sound system
samwichse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2015, 02:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Try to keep the rpm around 2500 rpm in 3rd, 4th, or 5th gear, Not 1st or 2nd.
To get into LEAN BURN, accelerate to slightly above the desired speed, hold for a sec. then back off slightly on the throttle until you see the FCD jump up and it maintains that position on the FCD bar. IF you have the OBDIIC&C gauge the green light will come on. Without the gauge, it just takes patience and practice to "Get the Feel" of lean burn.

You should be able to maintain 45mph in 3rd with LEAN BURN.(Level Ground)
(My experience)
HTH
Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2015, 02:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have a few suggestions, though I'm not sure they will improve your MPG very much. First, If you encounter hills, try to let the car lose a little speed as you climb so that the car can stay in lean burn. Then gain the speed back on downhill to maintain your average. Second, if your engine tune isn't perfect, you may be down on power a bit - plugs, timing, injectors, coils or maybe even a low flow catalytic. This will cause the car to achieve less LB.

Lots of folks use slightly higher air pressure to lower rolling resistance. It can be significant. Last, use a very steady accelerator application.

In general, I think 70MPG at 65MPH is pretty close to best you'll get. Some of these cars may have aero improvements and that makes a big improvement at high speed.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

My first reaction is to call BS at numbers like that. Aero drag at 80mph is 51% higher than aero drag at 65mph. I don't think one could even enter lean burn at that speed due to the higher load.

'course, I know squat. I just putz around in the comparatively massive HCH2...

S Keith is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2015, 03:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

SK
Thanks, finally someone mentioned load.

Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2015, 05:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Cameron,

Next time you come through Lakeland PM me and I'll show you how I do it in person. Been dying to show off the car to somebody anyway!

Since we pretty much drive the same roads, anything I do should also relate to your commute.
"Ron Burgundy" 2001 custom burgundy MT, 112K miles, new IMA battery, sunroof, shaved doors, black leather interior, solar charger, grid charger, Kenwood 4 speaker sound, 3D printed 3-button shifter, custom lower grill block, pod side mirrors, mirrored moon discs

"Turtle" 2000 Silver MT #880 ***retired***
cowmeat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2015, 06:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

you won't get those numbers from a stock insight, if you mod the car to act better while in lean burn then you can push the numbers higher.

what most around here don't mention is that lean burn runs smoother and generates more power if you retain heat in the engine. ie the coolant and intake charges are hotter. if the car cools off then you won't be able to lean burn at 70+mph, you also won't be able to with a stock insight either, i fall out of lean burn at about 65mph on a nice flat road(a flat road where your mpg and speed result in the same figures in both directions on the same stretch of road).

in some cases you may have a road with a long downhill grade and able to lean burn and do it at higher speeds. in other cases you may have a gradual incline and struggle to keep lean burn at 55mph. the road may appear completely flat!

heading south in wisconsin i was going downhill but the car acted as if i was climbing a constant hill for 100 miles. once i passed through that stretch and was near st louis i could lean burn at 100mpg at 70mph for 10 mile stretches at a time in what looked like uphill inclines. so also don't listen to everything everyone tells you, some things are situational.

i just drove from north dakota down here to lakeland and managed 70mpg but my average speeds were around 63mph, but i haven't touched anything on the car as far as mods go aside from 50psi in the tires. if i tried to go any faster it would drop out of lean burn and lose a chunk larger in fuel mileage in sacrifice for mph so that is strictly on the ragged edge of lean burn in my '00 with 250k miles.

for the last leg of my trip i gave in and set my target speed to 73mph and the net result was 54mpg from 70mpg at 63mph for reference.

i did actually manage to get 83mpg after i left fargo north dakota for about 200 miles while doing about 63-65mph, then it sank like a rock once i hit the hills.

Last edited by Lyger; 07-27-2015 at 07:01 PM.
Lyger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2015, 07:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyger View Post
what most around here don't mention is that lean burn runs smoother and generates more power if you retain heat in the engine. ie the coolant and intake charges are hotter.
Whoops, found out
Old 07-27-2015, 08:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jime View Post
Whoops, found out
i know heat mods are mentioned all over but the correlation isn't always defined. the car bucks when it's cold and hates lean burn, i actually began to think the car was problematic but if i drove it further than 10 miles or on really hot days then the lean burn would smooth out and work better.

course i learned a lot driving the car across the country this last week. while driving it locally it wasn't very productive while in lean burn so emphasis being put on warming it up quicker.

i chose to ignore the mods at first because the car already trips the fans and runs about 200F with a 106F intake charge, which is borderline what the car tends to prefer. lean burn treating that as a cool temperature.
Lyger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in