Hypermiling - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > MPG Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2016, 03:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Hypermiler

Garage
Default Hypermiling

An older article I stumbled across some time ago:

The following is a quoted explanation (author unknown) of hypermiling taken from the forum Cleanmpg.com. Included is a link to an article by Wayne Gerdes (xcel) of Cleanmpg.com

---------------

"What is hypermiling ?

Hypermiler is a term coined by Wayne Gerdes (cleanmpg.com) to describe a driver who strives to exceed their vehicle's EPA fuel economy rating. In conventional vehicles they can often match the mileage of an average person driving an equivalent hybrid. Hypermilers driving hybrids tend to achieve tremendous mileage, with some even exceeding 100 mpg. That being said, anyone can learn a wide variety of these skills. This article and link at Cleanmpg.com is dedicated to educating the driver of these techniques, so that they can raise their vehicle's fuel economy no matter what they drive.

While hypermiling is about a variety of techniques to improve a vehicle's fuel economy, hypermiling should not be equated with dangerous driving. While some hypermilers favor certain advanced practices that entail some risk and are in some areas illegal, these are not required nor encouraged. There are many basic techniques that are safe and actually make you a better driver. It is up to you as a driver to find your own particular level of comfort and fuel economy.

Hypermilers find it just as important to be safe around other traffic as they do about getting the best mileage. In fact, these drivers are many times more aware of their surroundings and their car's capabilities than an average driver, and are far safer than the average speeder or person driving while engaging in other activities like talking on their cell phone.

The 2008 EPA ratings have been lowered for many vehicles so beating these numbers is now much easier. This means that achieving 40% above the 2008 ratings is no harder than achieving 20% over the ratings prior to 2008. Most hypermilers of course, push for pulling out all the stops and the dedicated often achieve 50% or better than the posted EPA mileage figures.

The best article on hypermiling can be found on Cleanmpg.com in the thread 'Beating the EPA-the Why's and How to Hypermile' by Wayne Gerdes. This article describes many of the basic and advanced techniques. Please read it and try at least one of two techniques in your daily commute. You will be surprised at how effectively they can reduce your fuel consumption and save yourself some money while helping out the environment and making you a calmer, more effective driver in the process. "

---------------

I stumbled on this shortly after buying my first Insight. I've experimented with all of the methods suggested by Wayne, and routinely use a mix of a few of them. Combined with the oem features of the G1 Insight and a couple mods, I've been able to achieve some decent mpg's in my G1's.

Fellow member and Insight owner Highwater has set records using combinations of these methods even exceeding 2000 miles on a single tank of gas. Read about his Insight Marathon here.

Happy Insighting,
, IMAC&C
'01 mt, Silver, 222k,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, MIMA, currently "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"
'00 Citrus,, 184k,
, MIMA,

'01 mt, Oxy Blue, 218k

Go Navy, or don't go

Last edited by Mountain driver; 03-23-2016 at 08:33 PM.
Mountain driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2016, 09:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

I hypermile quite a bit, been doing it for 10 years. The Insight fits my driving style a lot better than my old 1999 Chevy Metro. I have a very long daily commute, so now I do a few hypermiling techniques. Only pulling 80's on some segment drives this winter, hope to do better this summer.
2000 Insight 5 spd, A/C, Silver #0486 "Y2k"..RE92s/55psi..WAI..IMA fan-always-on mod..Calpod..Regen PB..BumbleBee BeeMax..Natalya's EFAS
2000 Insight 5 spd, A/C, Red #2685 "Lil' Red"..RE92s/50psi..WAI..otherwise stock
2000 Insight 5 spd, A/C, Citrus #3167 "Firefly"..RE92s/50psi..WAI..otherwise stock

skleasia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2016, 11:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skleasia View Post
Only pulling 80's on some segment drives this winter, hope to do better this summer.
The positive impact of terrain and warm weather is tremendous. While driving from Yuma over to El Centro last week, I could easily pull 90-100 MPG on basically flat interstate. The hot intake air helps considerably and I think the hot road and tires have much less rolling resistance.
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2016, 06:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Ecky

There's a lot of low-hanging fruit when it comes to compensating for winter conditions - things like partial (or full) grille blocks, warm air intakes, etc., but the Insight already has a lot of "year round" modifications over normal vehicles from the factory. Wheel skirts, underbody panels, etc. are pretty standard fare for an ecomodder.

Hypermiling, for me, mostly involves driving with awareness of my surroundings, and not being in a hurry. Changing the nut behind the wheel can do more for improving your fuel economy than anything you can bolt on or cut off of your car. E.g. if I see a red light ahead, I take my foot off the gas and don't hurry to it - after all, everyone is leaving that light at the same time. Or, when I'm on the highway, I don't speed - in fact, I'm often 5-10 below the speed limit, barring some emergency.

You can probably get away with an upper block year-round, and the Insight doesn't really have great underbody paneling. I've improved mine a bit, with a pan that goes from the front bumper to the rear:

Ecky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2016, 07:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post

Tell us more about those projectors. Is that a "drop in" kit?
Ryanthegreat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2016, 08:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hypermiler

Garage

Nice pic by Ecky of the underbody panels and his improvement.

Proper air flow under the car is just as necessary as the other features on the G1 for maximizing efficiency. Many owners have reported around 5-10% increases in mpg with under-panels in place as compared to having none.

KLR3CYL (Scott) makes an aluminum 'belly pan' that replaces the 3 front under-panels. I have this pan under all my cars.

Applying other mods / adjustments can also improve the mpgs.
, IMAC&C
'01 mt, Silver, 222k,
, MIMA, currently "
"
'00 Citrus,, 184k,
, MIMA,

'01 mt, Oxy Blue, 218k

Go Navy, or don't go

Last edited by Mountain driver; 03-23-2016 at 08:17 PM.
Mountain driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2016, 10:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanthegreat1 View Post
Tell us more about those projectors. Is that a "drop in" kit?
I purchased a pair of eBay projectors around a year ago which were similar to these:

Nilight 2 5" Mini HID Bixenon Projector Lens for H1 Bulb Car Gift Chrome Shroun | eBay

The installation was pretty straightforward, or at least it appeared to be at first glance - 15 minutes to remove the headlights from the car, bake them in the oven at 200F to soften the glue, flathead screwdriver to pry them open, unscrew the bulb shroud thingy, screw the projector in place, bake in the oven for 10 minutes at 200F to soften the glue, press them back together, 15 minutes to put them back on the car.

HOWEVER, there were two complications.

The small complication: The Insight's headlamp bulbs are rotated about 15 from vertical, for some reason, so in order to get the projectors level, I had to cut the tabs off of the lock rings, allowing me to rotate the projectors.

The larger complication: The Insight's headlamp bulbs (and housing) are ALSO tilted forward about 15, meaning my projectors threw light only around 20ft in front of the car when I first put them in. Adjusting them up to the upward limit of their adjustment wasn't quite enough to get them level, I needed perhaps another 5. I tried using a shim to tilt the projectors up slightly, but couldn't get it to work, so I ended up loosening all of the bolts that hold the headlight housings in place and shifting the whole housing back and up slightly to get the last few degrees. This resulted in there being a small, perhaps 2-3mm gap between the bottom of the headlight housing and the bumper cover.

If I were to do it again, I would try to find some adapter that tilts the projectors up slightly before putting them in.
Old 03-25-2016, 06:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Default Back to Subject

Having trouble uploading pics right now but here's one from the gallery from 2013. The Lifetime was reset on my Insight when I installed MIMA at just less than 40K miles.

Trying to upload a current pic of LMPG because it has gone down; and I will add, "it ain't never comin' back"

Randall

highwater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2016, 08:51 AM   #9 (permalink)

ecky, do you have a build thread for your belly pan?

If I am able, I'd like to do what I can down there in one day's work. That would be in preparation for the Green Grand Prix on Apr 15. I'll want to do more later.

Thanks for any links. I don't want to thread jack into details on belly pans here.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2016, 11:09 AM   #10 (permalink)

I have a build thread on Ecomodder:

2000 Insight - TLC and ecomodding build - Page 26 - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com

The post numbers are off in my index, but not by much. I suspect a moderator may have removed a member's post from my thread, throwing of all of the numbers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in