Imbalanced battery? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > MPG Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2016, 10:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Imbalanced battery?

I'm new to this insight. I've got it tuned pretty good. Today I went on my daily commute. I noticed when got on the highway the power and efficiency wasn't as usual. For some peculiar reason it would surge and hesitate slightly . Didn't seem like the engine or transmission which are working perfectly. The drag seemed more the AC kicking on and off. The IMA battery has never been grid charged and was said to be in need of it. Is this the sort of fuel robbing condition that requires grid charging? Because the battery is so imbalanced the charger keeps kicking on? That would make sense. I was getting 70mpg the other day before it started this. Today It stayed on 60.6 mpg for 180 miles upwind or drafting a semi downwind for 30 miles.
Thanks
Z
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2016, 11:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Engine-Off-Coast

Were you seeing any bars lit up on the charging gauge when you felt the power loss?
Natalya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2016, 12:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya View Post
Were you seeing any bars lit up on the charging gauge when you felt the power loss?
No. I forgot it had a P1164 laf sensor code. I replaced the upper and lower O2 sensor. Which worked a couple of days. then the P1167 came back. If I clear it the O2 sensor starts working. It must be the air fuel ratio fluctuating which is causing the hesitating and surge. I need to check the LAF sensor?
Z
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2016, 12:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

I put a bottle of Chevron Techron in a full tank. I dont know if that could cause any problem. Its down to 1/3 tank. I thought the system might be charging the battery in the background with out showing it on the gauge.
Z
Old 08-17-2016, 04:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
eq1

Check your grounds lately? (the 3 main ones in the engine compartment, 2 right and below the air box, the other connected to the 12V battery)... How about your EGR plate? (cleaned it out). And how about the EGR valve itself - the electronic part, backwards 'fingers'? And then maybe spark plugs...

In any event, what you describe doesn't sound like something that happens with an imbalanced pack...
Old 08-17-2016, 08:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq1 View Post
Check your grounds lately? (the 3 main ones in the engine compartment, 2 right and below the air box, the other connected to the 12V battery)... How about your EGR plate? (cleaned it out). And how about the EGR valve itself - the electronic part, backwards 'fingers'? And then maybe spark plugs...

In any event, what you describe doesn't sound like something that happens with an imbalanced pack...
Its got new plugs and new O2 sensors

. I checked the EGR plate it was clean. I'm suspicious of the EGR I dont know how to check it. The EGR mounting base has a broken stud. "I need a new one"
I tighten one side and sealed it up with epoxy. So far it appears sealed. I didn't want to replace the base until I knew if I needed a EGR valve so I could replace them both. I How do I test the EGR valve? I dont want to just replace parts without knowing its bad. I dont think its a ground I checked them while servicing them. I'm going to on my daily commute and I'll report again.
Z
Old 08-17-2016, 02:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zion View Post
I put a bottle of Chevron Techron in a full tank. I dont know if that could cause any problem. Its down to 1/3 tank. I thought the system might be charging the battery in the background with out showing it on the gauge.
Z
Techron will sometimes cause the engine to surge a little while it's cleaning the injectors etc.

Keep running the tank down and see if the surging goes away after you refill the tank.

1963 Lotus 7 replica, 12 mpg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1962 Henny Kilowatt, 40 miles/charge @ 40 mph

My website
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* Hack your OBDIIc&c
* Cool the IMA battery
* DIY Fix rear motor mount
* DIY Grid charger/discharger build instructions etc
* My grid charger/discharger thread on the forum
olrowdy01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2016, 04:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
eq1

Just pull the plug at the EGR valve to see if it eliminates the "surge and hesitation"... And if you changed the spark plugs lately, you might want to check the torque again - the OEM torque isn't very tight and they can come loose...
Old 08-17-2016, 04:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Talking Its back

Tried it again today. The first leg of my morning commute is 90.1 miles. Two thirds interstate, and three fourths hills low and high. It was running rotten. I was thinking there was something major wrong there was no way not to notice. Mpg was dropping going down hill The bottom was 59.3 and still dropping. Last Friday I filled up at Wmart with low test ethanol and techron.
I had emptied the tank this mourning so I stopped at Mobile to fill up. I decided to get the 93 ot high test to see if it might put some pep in its step. It couldn't hurt. It held 9.xx gallons. I calculated the MPG and found it to be the same as the gauge 59.xx I was glad to see that. I started home and instantly noticed it had more snap. The lugging surging and hesitating was gone. The car ran like a top. I grossed 70mpg with a little tail wind and no drafting and still climbing I'll have a grid charger-discharger soon. The battery has never been serviced.
Z
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160817_134438.jpg (142.1 KB, 8 views)
Old 08-17-2016, 06:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Why have you been running "low test ethanol" ?
Haven't we gone through your bad running scenerio about 10 days ago on another thread?

Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in