Mpg issues with my 01 5spd 73k miles - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > MPG Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2016, 07:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Mpg issues with my 01 5spd 73k miles

Ok... Let me first start off with saying that I am new to the insight Central community and hybrid community in general. However I am mechanically inclined, Just not familiar with the hybrid vehicles.
So......my issue is I have a 2001 five speed manual insight with only 73,000 miles. I was averaging 58 to 63 miles per gallon recently, however the past two tanks I've only gotten 55 then 48 miles per gallon respectively. To give you all the information the 55 miles per gallon tank I still had the original tires on I purchased new tires one size larger which are 175/65/14 and are at 39 psi.
My question is what could have caused that significant drop in mpg? Also to let you know when I am driving the battery gauge does go up and down, and the regen and assist levels also go up and down. However though the assist doesn't feel like it used to as far as power and the regen doesn't feel like it's used to either as far as slowing the vehicle down. What could be the issues I have?
always driving is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2016, 08:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

New tires need to "break in" for better mileage.

If it's getting cold where you live, the car likes warm weather for auto stop.

Are you running the "defroster"? Running the windshield defroster uses the AC compressed. And that will take a toll on MPG.

Hope that helps.

"Teacher's Pet" Sold the fellow IC member:, 2004 Silver, AC, CVT, Rear Speakers
38k miles when purchased

"Kermit" Sold the fellow IC member:2000 Citrus 5-speed MT, AC, 173k miles when purchased
Bazzetta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2016, 09:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Hypermiler

Garage
Default Welcome

always driving:

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your 'new' gem. With 73k miles it is practically new

I moved your thread to this section of the forum, "mpg issues", where it truly belongs. I'm sure you'll get lots of feedback from the hypermilers and others.

Bazzeta's right on, new tires take some time/miles to break in, and the approaching winter hits the mpg even more. Additionally, your tires are bigger than oem recommended, which will definitely hit your mpg, at least 5 mpg or more. THE tire for the G1 is the Bridgestone Potenza RE92 P165/65 R14, it is an LRR tire that nets the best mpg for our cars. My cars take about 1k to 1500 miles for a new set to break in.

Whether you can resell your current tires and replace them with RE92's is a budget question for you to sort out.

Many G1 owners "air up" their tires some to gain some mpg. This is quite a topic with many pros and cons. The RE92 max sidewall psi is 44. Some folk run more.

As for your assist and regen symptoms, new oversize tires may be a contributing factor.

Here's a link to an article about hypermiling originally written by Wayne Gerdes over on cleanmpg.com. Using even just one or two of his techniques will improve a drivers' fuel economy. This link has a shorter version of some of Wayne's ideas.

Give yourself some time to 'learn' the car, the G1 is unique and needs a definite touch & method to get the most out of it.

Also, consider updating your profile with your general location, there may be some insighters near you willing to give you a tour of your car.

Good luck and happy Insighting,
, IMAC&C
'01 mt, Silver, 222k,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, MIMA, currently "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"
'00 Citrus,, 184k,
, MIMA,

'01 mt, Oxy Blue, 218k

Go Navy, or don't go

Last edited by Mountain driver; 11-05-2016 at 04:48 PM.
Mountain driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2016, 09:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Ecky

You have two things going on:

1) Bigger tires will cause your odometer and speedometer to read low. You're driving faster and farther than the FCD shows, which will cause those numbers to be lower.

2) The Insight NEEDS LRR tires. Going with larger, heavier, higher rolling resistance tires will absolutely hurt your MPG. Sometimes the hit can be as much as 10-20mpg with the wrong tires.
Ecky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2016, 11:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

The tire size change is a 2.2% measured mpg hit.

Other's recommendations are spot on.

I'm focused on "Also to let you know when I am driving the battery gauge does go up and down" - if these are recalibrations, then your hybrid battery is deteriorating, and you can definitely see a serious hit to mpg.

If at any time you notice the SoC gauge "marching" at a constant rate to near empty or near full at random times, you are experiencing recalibrations that are likely due to IMA battery deterioration.

S Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2016, 11:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

Is it possible to test the IMA for correct electrical characteristics. I.e. Resistance, inductance, and to see if there is any open windings
always driving is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2016, 12:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

I guess the question is how long have you owned this Insight?

If it is less than a year, then perhaps you don't know that all car's mpg decreases in cold weather. I'm assuming it is colder now than the last few tanks you've gone through.

608-729-4082

Mobile service also available
ericbecky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2016, 03:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Winter blend of gas will also lower your MPG.

HTH
Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2016, 07:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Your tires are probably the biggest hit on your fuel economy. I personally choose to also use 175/65/14 tires as well, although I have mine aired up to 45psi, but I have slightly different aspirations than just MPG. Interestingly enough, I've had some of my best trip mpg since switching, but it would have been much higher with RE92s.
-Front mount Air/Air intercooler
-Megasquirt MS3X ecu
-R18 Civic ignition coils
-245cc Injectors
-2 inch exhaust
-PSU "alternator"/No IMA
2013 Prius C (II)
Mattl92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2017, 03:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

What are the advantages of going with 175 tires vs 165 oem?
stonerider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in