CR-Z son of gen 1? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Hybrid and Alternative Fuel Forum > Other Honda Hybrids Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2019, 02:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default CR-Z son of gen 1?

We have loved our Gen 1 so much that we today bought a 2011 pearl white CZ-R 50k and a six speed manual over in the UK it looks like CVTs arnt available. With its red leather interior it looks the part, and I have to say its a very comfy place to sit. Minus points are its steel why? and a 100 volt battery that runs down much faster than the Gen 1 in assist mode, however assist and regen are much smoother, another plus is the ride and road noise both better than the Gen 1.
The car will be used by Jayne mostly and when off out as it will fit our dog as in the UK it has rear seats, something the Gen 1 doesnt.
On the whole it is a better car than the Gen 1 but it could have been so much better with say our engine with turbo, ali body and a lithium battery from the start, just my thoughts others points of view welcome
Peterboat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2019, 07:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Much more in common with the G2, including the battery.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S Keith is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2019, 06:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Ecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Keith View Post
Much more in common with the G2, including the battery.
Weighs more like the G2.

G1 Insight: 1875lbs
G1 Civic Hybrid: 2675lbs
CR-Z: 2650lbs
G2 Insight: 2720lbs

By US standards it's a rather slow car and gets underwhelming economy, but my impression is that they're reliable, comfortable and have good driving dynamics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2019, 07:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

In the States we call it the CRZ. Is CZR a typo? When it came out I was all set to buy one as a replacement for the CRX. Honda missed the mark when they made it only a hybrid. They would have sold many more if they had put a K20 motor in it and got rid of the hybrid stuff.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

Looks and rides great but nothing special in economy or performance. 2 door hatchbacks don't sell well here anyway. The Fit gets similar mpg and acceleration without the weight and complexity of the hybrid stuff and carries a lot more.
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2019, 09:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
vote 4 mawah

Default crz uk 2011 100v pack

What I remember reading during the relase of the Gen2 insight ( also has the 100V pack and steel body) was that honda wanted to make a cheaper version of the Civic hybrid) to compete with prius offerings like the prius C...
https://www.cars.com/articles/2012/1...ed-efficiency/
I think gen2 insight started at $15.900 and Civic started around $22.000 us.
sales related - also shows what most car sales people knew about the cars specs.
http://cdn.dealereprocess.com/cdn/br...a/2011-crz.pdf

At the time I didn't know about the 100v pack and only learned about it recently, while looking at used packs for the HCH2... And in my searching last year noticed honda advertizing the batteries as having 19% or 30% higher power density than the previous NiMH batteries used in the HCH2 and Accords of that time frame....
I'm quickly searching for data showing examples .. ah! here it is.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Insight#IMA_battery
not quite half way ( near the middle of the wiki page)
Quote:
IMA battery
The Insight's IMA is powered by a flat, nickel metal hydride battery pack located below the cargo floor between the rear wheels. The 84 module battery is manufactured by Sanyo Electric[57] and provides a nominal system voltage of 100.8 volts with a nominal capacity of 5.75 ampere-hours.[58] The power density of the modules is 30 percent greater than in the second generation Civic Hybrid. The battery is recharged automatically by scavenging engine power, when needed, and by regenerative braking when the car is decelerating. The power management electronics, battery modules, and cooling system are all self-contained within the IMA battery pack.
The other thing I remember being different was the 3 button IMA mode selection (Economy - Normal - Sport) again to compete with Toyota offerings at that time.... In my mind - the sport mode in a hybrid at that time from honda was compeietely against the ideals of building a hybrid in the first place (reduce emissions and increased mpg / kpl? - kilometers pre liter?) .
Although if memory servers me correctly? the sales people loved it, and so di the high performace drivers/modders.

also see the crz wiki page linked to near the bottom of the insight wiki page
Quote:
See also

Honda CR-Z
Honda Civic Hybrid
Honda Legend
Acura RLX
List of hybrid vehicles
crz link
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CR-Z

ps I really should change my profile signature, even though my HCH2 still show the same behavior as shown - I'll hopefully get around to it after my next pack switch out. change snuffs to degrades or something.

Last edited by WillS; 01-28-2019 at 10:04 AM. Reason: ps
WillS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2019, 01:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yes it is a typo its CR-Z sport have been driving it for two days to make sure its OK for Jayne.
My real point is that it could have been so much better, the IMA part is better than a Gen 1 but the weight, small battery and larger engine seem a backward step, as I said turbo our engine ali body and a bigger lithium battery and it would have been brilliant
Old 01-28-2019, 02:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

10 year old tech. Honda did the best they could with what they had to put together something that would sell in low volume. Could they have used Li and an aluminum body? Sure. Would anyone have paid $50,000 for it? Not likely.
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2019, 06:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

I am not sure, lots of car makers are using Ali now and have been for a number of years [Jaguar, Audi to name two]. 2013 CR-Zs are using Lithiums now dont know how much it put the price up? So for me Honda missed a chance with the CRZ, turboing the old engine would have helped clean it up [look how many makers are using small capacity petrol turbo engines now] and would have upped the performance to the 1500 used in the CR-Z.
What I am saying is the gen 1 was a huge leap forward the CR-Z wasnt, as I say other opinions are welcome
Old 01-28-2019, 08:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Ecky

Solution? K series in a Gen 1. 50+ mpg, double the acceleration of the CR-Z, and you gain a ton of storage in the back from the removal of the hybrid system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in