Honda Insight Forum banner

Is the Insight noisy or quiet inside?

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  booke23 
#1 ·
From an Edmunds Long-term Review of a 2010 Insight they say:
"The road noise didn't get out of control at freeway speeds as I expected. But there was wind noise at the A-pillars at freeway speeds."
"As for the wind noise, initially it was pretty irritating but over the long road trip I was able to block it out."

As I am already hard of hearing I'm looking for a good gas mileage car that is pretty quiet inside. Is the Insight noisy or not?

Thanks!
d

#3 ·
I don't consider it noisy at all driving at or below the speed limit, however at speeds over 75-80 mph I would say overall wind and road noise starts becoming a bit intrusive.

Having said that, I used to drive a Dodge Neon that was much worse than the insight for noise........you really needed to crank the radio up at speeds over 50 mph in that car.

#4 ·
I could not recommend an Insight to someone who wants a quiet car. We only took it on vacation once, that was enough. It is just barely quiet enough to make a Bluetooth phone call. I have no personal experience with a Prius, but I bet they would be quieter. Also check out a Lexus CT 200h (I think that’s what it’s called) a Prius in Lexus clothing, with the instrument cluster in front of the driver instead of in the center stack. I do have experience with a Kia Optima Hybrid, that is an Accord sized car that gets pretty good mileage and is very quiet.

I cannot understand why Honda cannot address this in any of their cars. Even Acuras are the noisiest in their class.

#11 ·
I drove my Insight yesterday with the radio off while paying particular attention to noise as I drove faster, and I'd like to amend my previous comments.

I would still say it's not noisy below most speed limits, however over 65 mph road and wind noise start to become intrusive becoming very loud over 80 mph.

If you are the sort of driver who never drives over 65 mph (like me most of the time) you'll never notice the noise. But if you like to cruise at high speed for long periods, maybe buy something else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.