Honda Insight Forum banner

How long to drive before smog after clearing codes?

14K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  esprout 
#1 ·
I've recently reconditioned my battery with the Hybrid Automotive Prolong charger/discharger kit. I've cleared the IMA codes, do I need to drive the car, and how long before taking it for a California smog check?

#2 ·
Yes. After a 12V reset, all emissions systems show "NOT READY" indicating that they have not completed the tests necessary to establish they are functioning properly.

How much depends.

Here in AZ, we can pass with ONE DTC not ready. It's usually the evaporative emissions system that takes the longest. I tend to get to that point after 30-50 miles of mixed driving.

Google "Honda Drive Cycle".

It is my understanding that facilities in CA may or may not pass you with ONE DTC not ready at their discretion.

Most OBDII code readers can either tell you ready or not, or can even tell you which have and have not completed.

A simple OBDII ELM327 Code reader (Bluetooth for android or WIFI for iphone/android) and Torque (android only, there are other packages for iphone that work) will tell you the status of all drive cycle items.

#3 · (Edited)
When you first turn the ignition on, (do not start.) After about 45 sec. If the engine icon goes out and doesn't blink, the vehicle is ready for emmissions.

Miles can vary. A variance on driving style over at least a semi lengthy three cycle run probably will get it ready.

HTH
Willie

#4 ·
I always forget that one Willie... good point. I've come to rely on my OBD tools, and I forget those little nuggets...

#7 · (Edited)
In CA, you can have evap not triggered and still pass. I've linked the source pdf in some other post, too lazy to find it right now :)

ODBII is very useful and quite cheap these days. It'll let you know your DTC status, but also let you know when you're in lean burn via O2 1x2 sensor at 0.0V. I got this one for $12, and it works great. I use it in conjunction with torque app.

Edit: found link for DTC requirements. tldr; is any one for 1996-1999, evap for 2000 and newer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.