Honda Insight Forum banner

Did your stripped flywheel give error code P1885?

5K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Atheos 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi. Just bought a 01 Insight with non working tranny. It's my first Honda project (have owned all gen Prius but the last + a couple Mitsubishi hybrid and a Mitsu MIEV).

Have read as much as I can find on this goldmine forum and many talks about a stripped flywheel.

Description of my particular silver bullet:

1.) All gears acts like neutral, although RPM seems to go down a little in N
2.) Transmission fluid full (a little over the line, compliments of the last owner)
3.) I am getting these two error codes A) P1607 (PCM Internal Circuit failure) and B) P1885 (CVT input shaft [Drive pulley] speed sensor malfunction.

The P1607 code is most likely from the prev owner somehow disconnecting the anti theft circuit, so what I am most interested in is if you guys with 'stripped flywheel' got the same error code as me? (P1885)

I checked the voltage in all three speedsensors (and ground) and they are the same (aprox 5 volts x 2 + ground) and about 7,3 - 7,7 ohms resistance in each sensor.

The input speed sensor it calls for is about 85 USD and I don't think I can return it,if not the issue.

Will try the removing of the starter check tomorrow, but just curious if others got the same code...

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I haven't had it happen, but I'm pretty sure the stripped splines in the flywheel don't cause any codes.

Sam

#3 · (Edited)
Found a reasonable speed sensor on ebay....

The part my new BlueDriver OBD2 tool claims is malfunctioning usually runs about 80-90 USD or more. However, I found it for 15 bucks and went ahead and ordered it. I am aware it's mainly wishful thinking but I can gamble 15 dollars just for the heck of it.

Who knows - maybe I'll get lucky.

#4 ·
Tbh it's really not that hard to pull the transmission. I could do it in about 2 hours tops. If that. My little bro and I pulled my MT in 3.5 hours and it was the first time we had ever pulled a insight transmission so we were taking our time.

#5 ·
Thanks

I've been dicking around with the car today (moved the 'bad' speedsensor to one of the other slots) and am now convinced I will need to pull the tranny. No matter what I do I get the same error code. I'm fairly certain its because the flywheel is at a stand still, thus the computer thinks its the sensor.

I am 90% sure it's the d**n flywheel.

Once the tranny is up and running again I'll be ordering some new batteries from China. Current battery pack works with a charger, but it would be nice to start all over again with fresh batteries.

/D

#8 ·
The CVT is not "automatic". If you look at a CVT flywheel you'll see that it is quite different from a flexplate.

Sam

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.