How to use / tell if this grid charger is working - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Problems and Troubleshooting

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2018, 08:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How to use / tell if this grid charger is working

Hello, I recently bought a 2006 CVT insight. It came with a grid charger but I don't know how to read it or tell if it's really working. I pulled off the battery panel today and confirmed that the fan spins...so it should be charging. Here's pic of things including the charger. I'd appreciate any help that can be offered. It only has 1 button in addition to the power button.
dahlink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2018, 08:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Where is your charger?
I can't see it hooked up?
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2018, 09:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'll get a shot of it here shortly as well as a light bulb discharger that I'm not sure how to use
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2018, 09:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Here's some additional photos. I have it hooked up right now. Its only been about 1-2 hours. I'm not sure how to tell if it's charging. I also included a picture of the discharger. I don't know where to hook it up but I need to figure out charging first.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181005_181647_1538788758580.jpg (73.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181005_181521_1538788899940.jpg (96.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181005_181553_1538788964991.jpg (103.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 10-06-2018, 01:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahlink View Post
Hello, I recently bought a 2006 CVT insight. It came with a grid charger but I don't know how to read it or tell if it's really working. I pulled off the battery panel today and confirmed that the fan spins...so it should be charging. Here's pic of things including the charger. I'd appreciate any help that can be offered. It only has 1 button in addition to the power button.
I don't understand the reference to a spinning fan proving anything.

If the charger is working, the battery voltage will increase slowly with time, and fall a bit immediately the charger is turned off.
In one of the pictures the display appears to be showing the batteries voltage - 166v would be a reasonable voltage to see during a charging cycle. Is this just displayed when the button is pushed?
Rory57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2018, 01:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory57 View Post
I don't understand the reference to a spinning fan proving anything.

If the charger is working, the battery voltage will increase slowly with time, and fall a bit immediately the charger is turned off.
In one of the pictures the display appears to be showing the batteries voltage - 166v would be a reasonable voltage to see during a charging cycle. Is this just displayed when the button is pushed?
I assume that the battery should be getting power because the exhaust fan turns on when I turn the charger on.

166v is displayed with a quick press of the button. If I hold it down longer I get other values like the 00.2 in the first picture.
Old 10-06-2018, 03:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Hello Dahlink,

I'm far from an expert on this matter, but I'll take a stab at it!

The picture of your battery compartment - it sort of looks like the battery switch is turned off. That needs to be on when you are charging.

I like the warning on the foam! When the switch is on be verrry careful where you put your fingers!

The fan turning is good, you definitely need that when the battery is charging. Unfortunately, that alone does not assure that charging current is actually reaching the battery. I don't recognize that case as one of the commercially available chargers. Are there any labels on the backside?

The button appears to be switching display between voltage and amperage. If there are no other switches, I'd guess your on/off for the charger is just the other end of the power cord.

I suspect there will be folks with lots more knowledge stopping by soon!

2001 M/T 194K Silver, second daughter's car
2000 M/T 149K Red, wife's car
2010 EX 145K Metallic Gray, first daughter's car
tervic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2018, 04:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the help. I had the switch off because I took the panel off. I turned it on when I put it back together. The warning was written by a previous owner who, I presume, set it up. I left it plugged in overnight and it still shows 166 on the LED screen. I'm leaving it on for a full 24hrs and will unplug it then. From what I understand, I'll need to reset a fuse to get the car to reread the state of charge. Thanks again for the advice. Ill take any additional input that people have.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

So, I pulled the #18 fuse and took the car for a spin. The battery was not reading at first; which is a part of the process as I understand it. Then it slowly notched up to full. I floored it when I got to the main road and the assist went all the way up (something it didn't usually do). The battery meter also didn't drop rapidly; only 2-3 bars and during the 5-8 mile slightly uphill and against some serious wind. On the round trip the battery charged up pretty quickly (how quick is too quick?).

The battery seemed peppier. I'll see how things go on subsequent drives.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
eq1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahlink View Post
....I left it plugged in overnight and it still shows 166 on the LED screen. I'm leaving it on for a full 24hrs and will unplug it then.
Doesn't seem possible for a charge to have taken place if the voltage reading stayed at ~166V. Or, even if it ended at 166V and you happened to miss some kind of peak during the intervening time... As far as I know, if the charger is working, doing its thing, the voltage will rise - it must rise - and once the cells are full you'll see some voltage drop. But, I don't think I've ever seen a drop that far - down to 166V - with the charger still ON... It might drop that low if the charger charged and then turned OFF for some reason. But I haven't heard of any 'Insight grid chargers' that behave that way...
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in