Can deep discharge ruin IMA battery? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Problems and Troubleshooting

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2018, 03:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Can deep discharge ruin IMA battery?

I inadvertently forgot the discharger and when I remembered, the voltage was below 10V. I recharged to about 175 and pulled the bottom fuse in the 4th slot from the rear for a while then replaced and started.
Previously doing this resulted in charging starting in a couple minutes and building to full charge.
Now there is no charging and my OBDII code is 1449 and my blink codes are: IMA 58 and 78; EPS 23; and CkEng 69.
I checked seven terminals of ground straps and all are OK.
For several weeks, the starter was via IMA battery but now it's via 12V battery.
Thanks up front for any advice
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2018, 03:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

Yes it can in certain circumstances with a basket case battery. However.

Did you put the fuse back in the correct slot. Triple check it.

Did you do a proper 24-36 hr low current grid charge?
If not do one.. Then clear codes (reset 12v system) and see what happens.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ObdIIc&c, Imac&c, ImaBoost, Current Hacks available. Enqs to 150mpg[at]gmail.com

Last edited by retepsnikrep; 11-04-2018 at 03:46 PM.
retepsnikrep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2018, 03:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Peter!
I actually had the third (actual) fuse and fourth confused. Once I pulled and replaced the 4th fuse (in the 5th slot) reset took place.
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2018, 03:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
eq1

^ Glad you got it working... I just wanted to add my thoughts on your original question...

I think a deep discharge can ruin a battery if you start with a pretty badly imbalanced pack and you discharge at too high a rate. I think what can happen is that you can deeply reverse one or more cells (both electrodes get reversed) and then you've destroyed or badly damaged those reversed cells - which then cripples the battery pack. I've never actually seen it, but I think that's what can happen and has happened to some people.

But, I don't think a deep discharge per se damages cells - you can deep discharge at a very low rate (like around 50mA at 0.7V) for a long time, you can even short cells, and I don't think it does damage. On the contrary, I think it does good... I've done quite a few very long 'ultra deep' discharges, some on cells, some on pairs of sticks, and rather than doing damage, I've always seen improvement...

The process of "deep discharging a pack" can inadvertently badly reverse some cells - and the reversal does the damage, not the deep discharge itself... If all the cells were balanced, or you were working with a single cell, there'd be no problem.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Don't mean to thread jack but I'm facing a very similar situation.

When I first got my 2002 Insight, it was throwing codes 66 and 58. I tested BCM voltages, all within .4V

I got a first-gen Hybrid Automotive charger (SC 3.0), and I have successfully charged, which resolved codes for awhile.

Last night I started my first discharge cycle using a DIY bulb discharger. Unfortunately I forgot to change bulbs from 60W to 25W before going to bed and it discharged overnight all the way down to 0.6V.

Today I put the charger back on, and it at first seemed to work, reading around 48V. But I just checked and it's no longer charging (0 mAh). Now throwing codes 58, and more concerning, 59 (P1444 High Voltage Short Circuit).

Did I irreversibly damage the IMA? What can I do to resolve the P1444 code? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks,
Scott
skwiggly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2018, 03:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yeper, get a rc hobby charger and charge the cells one by one.Otherwise its done.
Venom Pro Duo ....and be Done.

Last edited by Kevinnfl; 11-20-2018 at 03:45 PM.
Kevinnfl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2018, 03:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Make sure the charger is disconnected from the car, if you turned the key on and it was still connected it could be the cause of the P1444. If disconnect clear codes and check again to see if it comes back.

0 Mah could be that you blew the fuse in the charger harness. Did the voltage spike to 180 on the charger?

If you need a fuse let me know, Iíll put one in the mail.

Scott
Red 2002,MT 196,000mi, RE92's, new rear springs, GAZ shocks
Citrus 2000,MT 182,000mi, MIMA, RE92's, S2000 leather steering wheel, Japanese seat covers.
Simple grid charger SC03
New rear coil springs available, PM me.
One piece aluminum underbody panels.
PayPal:
KLR3CYL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2018, 03:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks Scott. So after clearing codes, I was able to start the car and idle for several minutes w/ no CEL or IMA light. IMA battery meter gained a couple bars.

However, the grid charger is still showing 0 mAh. I didn't observe a voltage spike. I replaced the inline charger harness fuse (it was 3.15A/250V, I used 3A/250V), AND the fuse inside the charger with identical 1Ah/250V. Grid charger is showing ~48V and 0mAh, even when disconnected from the car, does that sound right?

Last edited by skwiggly; 11-20-2018 at 04:18 PM.
skwiggly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in