Light bucking and no power at light throttle, no CELs, poor mpg - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Problems and Troubleshooting

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2018, 04:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Light bucking and no power at light throttle, no CELs, poor mpg

So, I discovered my OBDII C&C had some fault, I haven't looked into it, I just unplugged it, and have started to focus on the persisting issues.

I have done the following within the past couple months... (with all oem parts)
-replaced primary O2 sensor with NTK 5 wire
-replaced lower engine mount
-replaced driver side trans mount
-replaced spark plugs (all cylinders indexed B)
-replaced engine oil (oil was dark, but not low before)
-replaced transmission fluid (no chunks, but glittery)
-replaced cam tensioner gasket and filter gasket (was leaking)
-cleaned intake chambers, there was corn and nuts under the filter
-checked/adjusted cold valvelash TWICE, its perfectly within oem specs, every exhaust valve is the same, every intake valve is the same
-removed and checked EGR plate, NO buildup, and the holes are clear
-ran one full tank with fuel system cleaner, waited for engine temps to be normal for 15 minutes, then drove aggressively, and shifted at high rpms 45mpg for that tank
-Since that tank, I've been trying to get the most mpg possible, haven't broken 60mpg. I'm at 58mpg at 380miles on this current tank.
-bolted down ecu, it was previously just hanging off harness.
-checked ecu harness pins for corrosion or looseness

I frequently start and drive the car in 20 degree F weather, but it has a coolant warmer thingy, and the car only takes ~2 minutes of driving to reach 160degrees coolant temp, and by 7 minutes of driving its at 197/200 *F

I seem to have to use significant throttle to get ANY acceleration. I'm talking about having the mph go up just by 1, I have to dip the throttle below 50mpg (i stopped using the obd2 gauge, so now I judge throttle position by the mpg gauge) This is a problem, because I can't stay in lean burn and accelerate, something my previous insight could easily do.

When in lean burn, the car also gently bucks, it is not my foot. mpg at the time will be ~70-125, no CEL present. Bucking goes away if I add more throttle, and it kicks out of lean burn, or if I totally lift off the throttle.

I have a fluke multimeter, with clamp meter, if that could be used to help me diagnose a sensor, or something.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Last edited by Number81; 12-11-2018 at 04:39 PM.
Number81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2018, 04:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Have you replaced the O2 sensor?

Scott
Red 2002,MT 196,000mi, RE92's, new rear springs, GAZ shocks
Citrus 2000,MT 182,000mi, MIMA, RE92's, S2000 leather steering wheel, Japanese seat covers.
Simple grid charger SC03
New rear coil springs available, PM me.
One piece aluminum underbody panels.
PayPal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
KLR3CYL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2018, 04:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR3CYL View Post
Have you replaced the O2 sensor?

Scott
Yes, I forgot to put that in first post. Updated, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2018, 04:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Have you unplugged the EGR valve and taken it for a drive with it disconnected?

Scott
Citrus 2000,MT 182,000mi, MIMA, RE92's, S2000 leather steering wheel, Japanese seat covers.
Simple grid charger SC03
PayPal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR3CYL View Post
Have you unplugged the EGR valve and taken it for a drive with it disconnected?

Scott
Nope, I will do that on my way to work in about 1 hour. Thanks for the suggestion
Old 12-11-2018, 05:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Please try that. Even though you have cleaned the EGR passages the EGR valve could be bad.

At InsightFest this year, Recovering Gasaholic had a bucking problem, I had him go unplug and test drive, bucking went away. He found a new alternative EGR valve from a Honda Odyssey that was reasonable priced. He posted some where here on the forum about the exact year. Advanced Search is your friend.

Please report back your findings after your test drive.

Thanks,
Scott
Killer3cylinder
Simple grid charger SC03
PayPal:
Old 12-11-2018, 05:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number81 View Post
So, I discovered my OBDII C&C had some fault, I haven't looked into it, I just unplugged it, and have started to focus on the persisting issues.
Send it back if it needs fixing. you just pay postage both ways.

ObdIIc&c, Imac&c, ImaBoost, Current Hacks available. Enqs to 150mpg[at]gmail.com
retepsnikrep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2018, 01:06 AM   #8 (permalink)

(light bucking update) Well, I drove about 20 miles with the EGR valve disconnected, seemed smoother, I don't think it was bucking. I'm only not 100% sure because I had to drive behind a large truck that I couldn't pass for a few miles, and I think the turbulence was slightly buffeting my car, so it felt kind of like uneven cruising speed.

I did notice that mpg rating was significantly worse while accelerating, like 50% lower. Dipped almost to zero during maybe half throttle. CEL for EGR came on at the very end of the drive, as I expected.

(poor acceleration questions)
Is there something that would make the timing swing around? or give improper engine timing without causing a CEL to show? What else could cause poor acceleration without showing a cel?

I had the exhaust off when I did the bottom engine mount, I tried to get a look at the catalytic converters, but I couldnt see them. I didn't notice any buildup in the pipes, however.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

So I'm now hunting for a deal on the 2001 Odyssey 3.6 v6 EGR valve (wells part number EGR 4201)

I plugged the egr valve back in, and immediately the car was back to its bucking bronco (not that severe) ways!

I discovered low clutch fluid and its leak inside the car today... priority is having a car that actually drives, so I gotta replace the master cylinder tomorrow afternoon instead of any other projects.

Then I can focus on why the eff the car can't break 60mpg. I might take a look into the "hot intake" mod.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

I recall it being from a 4 cylinder Accord. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...egr+valve,4968
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in