p0134 and p1162....Just the LAF o2 Sensor? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Problems and Troubleshooting

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2018, 11:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default p0134 and p1162....Just the LAF o2 Sensor?

Just picked up an insight. This is my first one. I have driven it a little on the backroads and noticed some problems.

1. It seems like it doesn't want to go much faster than 60. (Flooring it in 5th). I understand how slow a 3 cylinder will be, this thing is really struggling to hwy speeds.

- I just cleaned the EGR plate today and haven't test driven it yet. Didn't appear to be too clogged. To me, it feels like a clogged cat (which is what the previous owner said was wrong with the car).....but the CEL is on for....

2. CEL is on for p0134 and p1162 codes. After research it appears that these are both from the LAF/Front o2 sensor and that you need to buy from Honda since they are different than a traditional o2. If there are other name brands that work, let me know.

Also, it appears that the up stream o2 has been replaced recently, but imo the wires remind me of the cheapo ones that I have used on other vehicles. Does the LAF sensor and regular 02 sensor look different? If so, how can you tell.

Lastly, since the upstream o2 isn't working, it doesn't rule out that the cat isn't bad. So, if the upper cat is bad, will it ruin a new LAF sensor?

Thanks
Horn12007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2018, 12:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

Just to be clear. The insight is a 2001 w/ manual trans and 220k.

The upstream o2 appears new-ish. The hex part of it shows that it isn't brand new, but the wires are very clean and not weathered like you see on an older one.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

Sounds like CAT problems to me.
A good "redneck" mechanic should be able to fix the cat problem.
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2018, 02:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Williford View Post
Sounds like CAT problems to me.
A good "redneck" mechanic should be able to fix the cat problem.
hahaha. Let's say a redneck fixed it in a redneck way....does the loss of back pressure hurt MPGs? I know some cars like that.

Also, would the front o2 still need to be replaced?
Old 12-16-2018, 04:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

Maybe O2 sensor leading to cat problems. Lets imaging this scenario.

1) Primary O2 sensor goes bad.
2) Owner replaces it with cheap non genuine or incorrect type and it doesn't work so still has error codes.
3) Drives it around for thousands of mile with car stuck in rich mixture mode and clogs cat.

My advice.

1) Find out exactly what primary/LAF sensor you have fitted, if not correct change it for the right one... (Sounds like it's dead so you will have to change it anyway)

2) Remove the Cat and check for clogging, try and clean it with soda or whatever else is recommended for that.

3) Maybe do the secondary O2 sensor spacer fooler trick to get rid of the P0134.

4) Buy a secondhand cat if yours is clogged..

5) Do the redneck cat hack if all else fails to unclog it and you can't afford another ..

ObdIIc&c, Imac&c, ImaBoost, Current Hacks available. Enqs to 150mpg[at]gmail.com
retepsnikrep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2018, 05:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

It appears that the cats were clogged and it seems to have more power. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

So what did you do to fix it?

ObdIIc&c, Imac&c, ImaBoost, Current Hacks available. Enqs to 150mpg[at]gmail.com
retepsnikrep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2018, 08:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Redneck fix on first. Definitely picked up power. Did live data on scan tool and the LAF o2 was picking up a signal. Now, that doesn't mean I won't get that code back.

I pulled it out and it is a "NGK L2H2". Now, from looking up, I can't tell if that is a NGK 24300 or 24301. iirc, One is for the CVT and one is for the manual?

After redneck fix, I definitely had some more power. Then ran open exhaust after the 1st cat to test the 2nd. It ran better, but it still seems like I'm down some power.

It does have newer spark plugs with "B" stamped on the end. They are NGK ILZFR5A......Not sure if those are the correct ones, but seem like they could be. I need to double check the engine code. The car also has a newer/clean air filter.

I can get the car up to about 80mph on the backroad. Yesterday, I couldn't do much more than 60. I don't have plates so I can only do so much. I have noticed that if I'm going 60 and put it in 5th, forget about trying to get to 80mph. It seems to get there, I have to run each gear to about 3500rpms. I've never driven one, but I've driven other 3 cylinder vehicles and don't remember having to run those RPMs to get there.

Another thing I have noticed is that I can't get the desired mpg on the fluctuating mpg gauge thing. At constant throttle, the best I can do is low 50s, but when going down a hill, it jumps, etc. Maybe I won't get the great mpgs until lean burn which I won't get until I fix o2 sensor and p0420 that will probably come up.

Another thing I find interesting is say I'm letting off the gas...say 60mph. If I do that in 5th, the gauge will show closer to 60-70mpg. If I'm in a lower gear, it maxes out the mpgs. I'm assuming there is a fuel cut-off after a certain rpm?

Maybe I just need to get used to how to drive these cars. I'm used to a tdi where I can lug it at 800 rpms. Im not sure if I like the way it drives.

Last thing is the car has a slight tick. Mainly at idle. I adjusted the valves. I know some engines are "noisier" than other engines. Plus I'm hyper aware of ticking noises. Sounds like top end of cylinder one. I'll figure that out later.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

I've done a lot of reading on the ticking. Sounds like a normal thing on these. Also read the pistons have short skirts which cause piston slap so no need to address that on here.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horn12007 View Post
Last thing is the car has a slight tick. Mainly at idle. I adjusted the valves. I know some engines are "noisier" than other engines. Plus I'm hyper aware of ticking noises. Sounds like top end of cylinder one. I'll figure that out later.
"Ticking" is normal. These engines "sound like sewing machines" (Ecky).

Adjusted the lifter valves and the engine sounds basically the same. They were only slightly off spec. Almost didn't by the Insight because of the ticking, only to research, ask questions, and find out that it's normal for the Insight's engine. Wouldn't hurt to adjust the valves -- it's pretty easy -- but you're probably fine.
| Full IMA delete, 15V Meanwell pseudo-alternator, increased tire pressure, grille block, WAI, underbody panels, Scott's pan, other aeromods
| 6th gen Civic console, 8th gen Civic shift knob, Polk DB652 speakers, all LED lighting except interior and signals
| Details:
mpg_numbers_guy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in