p1162 (48) Need Help With LAF Sensor Location/Replacement - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Problems and Troubleshooting

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2018, 06:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default p1162 (48) Need Help With LAF Sensor Location/Replacement

Bad news; my 2002 CVT just threw a p1162 an hour ago; the blink code is 48. The ABS also had the blink code 61 but wasn't throwing a light; this link ECU P codes says that code 61 is a primary oxygen sensor; would replacing the LAF/fixing the p1162 get rid of that blink code?

Worse news; I leave for a 5000 mile round trip in two and a half days. I need to get this part in hand by then and, most importantly, put it in myself, preferably.
Two problems with that; I've read that there are two LAF sensors, one before and after the CAT, and I don't know which one needs replacing. Secondly, I don't know where the heck the CAT/LAF sensors are to begin with; haven't been able to find any diagrams/pictures to help me out.

What I need:
A part number for the LAF I need that I can hopefully find on Amazon to Prime it to my door by tomorrow/Friday.
Help locating the LAF that I need to replace and maybe a few directions on how to replace it; I've read it's rather simple, though, so as long as I can find where it is...

Chances are some of my info is incorrect from skimming through a dozen or so threads; please forgive my haste. The sooner I can get this fixed the sooner I can sleep easy

Thanks MUCH for any help/advice in advance.
Maul485 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2018, 07:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm fairly confident I found where the sensors are installed; directly behind the engine, with the top one plugged directly behind the oil intake and pointing to the drivers side, and the bottom one pointing (more or less) directly backwards?
Still don't know which one needs replacing, though :/
Old 12-19-2018, 08:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

This isn't the end of the world. Start by clearing the code and see if it comes back. Either disconnect the negative 12V battery cable, or pull the #16 fuse under the hood for about 20 seconds and replace it. If the code doesn't come back you should be OK for your trip.

The primary O2 sensor is the one on top, closest to the engine.
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
2000 Citrus with aerodynamic extension
2002 Blue getting new engine
Rainsux is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2018, 08:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainsux View Post
This isn't the end of the world. Start by clearing the code and see if it comes back. Either disconnect the negative 12V battery cable, or pull the #16 fuse under the hood for about 20 seconds and replace it. If the code doesn't come back you should be OK for your trip.

The primary O2 sensor is the one on top, closest to the engine.
Thanks for the info! I just came back inside from fiddling around with it; thanks to a helpful youtube video I managed to unplug the sensor and check the resistance between the two negative terminals; 1.9/2.0 ohms (multi-meter set to 200). as far as I can tell, that means the heating element is intact?
I went ahead and pulled the 12v terminal while I was at it.

I can't help but feel I should order a replacement now anyhow; waiting to see if it throws again is a bit worrisome knowing I'll be driving 5k miles.

At the very least, for reference/confirmation for my '02 CVT, the replacement for the primary would be 36531-PHM-A51?

Last edited by Maul485; 12-19-2018 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Correct. That is the Honda part number. You can save some money by getting the NGK/NTK aftermarket replacement: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ords=ntk+24660

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
2000 Citrus with aerodynamic extension
2002 Blue getting new engine

Last edited by Rainsux; 12-19-2018 at 09:39 PM.
Rainsux is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2018, 10:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainsux View Post
Correct. That is the Honda part number. You can save some money by getting the NGK/NTK aftermarket replacement: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ords=ntk+24660

Sam
Good to know! Thanks for the help; will likely order one to keep on hand just in case; if I remember correctly I may have reset a p1162 at the beginning of the year... If the code doesn't come back soon, then I'll set it aside until it eventually does
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cvt, gen1, laf, p1162, replacement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in