Two separate noises that vary with both RPM and speed - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Problems and Troubleshooting

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2019, 05:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Ecky
Default Two separate noises that vary with both RPM and speed

I'm on a business trip right now and ~200 miles from home. I'm also planning to pull the engine and transmission very soon, so ideally a fix (if imminently needed) isn't expensive or difficult.

I first noticed last week there developed a growl/grumble that followed vehicle speed. While parked I couldn't find anything rubbing anything that turns at vehicle speed; nothing in the brakes or touching either axles or wheels. I figured it might be a CV joint or wheel bearing, and I figured I'd just keep an eye on it.

Today after parking the car I rev'd it in neutral a few times and noticed there is also now a groaning sound which follows RPM, and sounds to be coming vaguely from around the bell housing, though I'm less than certain of the source.

Here's a video of the latter noise:

I'll see if I can grab one of the noise which follows wheel speed when I go out for dinner.

I've never personally heard a bad ISB before so I have no idea if that's what one sounds like. What concerns me is that both happened about the same time - I'm inclined to believe there's a relation. I'm away from home right now and there's a belly pan on, so short of taking it to a shop I'm not going to get a visual on anything. My first thought was that maybe I developed a slow leak from the transmission and low fluid is causing noise both around the differential/output bearings and around the input bearings, as they're not properly lubricated. Shifting is unaffected though, so maybe I can rule that out.

Anyone ever hear a noise like this? Can I drive the car for a few hundred more miles or does this sound like something which needs to be addressed pronto, even if I'm planning to yank both engine and transmission out in a couple of weeks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2019, 06:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

My hearing isn't the best. but the only sound I picked up on sounded like a heat shield. Good luck, Ecky!

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
2000 Citrus with aerodynamic extension
2002 Blue getting new engine
Rainsux is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2019, 06:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
eq1

It kind of sounds like a noise I've gotten on a couple occasions - like twice, lasting for maybe 10-20 minutes and then going away. I've never figured out what it is/was, though. I've thought it might be the water pump bearing, or the idler pulley bearing... My noise has been less growl-y, though, more of a dry, ringing/grating whine... Sorry I can't be of more help.
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2019, 06:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

THATS NOT THE HEATSHEILD,THAT WOULD BE A RATTLE,sounds more like a belt,i wouldnt drive it,,unless its to a well known shop,send scott a text and let him listen to it,my isb bearing sounded more like a clutch thowout bearing going bad. Sorry for caps,
Honda hybrid442 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2019, 07:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Me, too. There was no need to shout at me. I was trying to help by reporting what I thought I heard.

Sam
MIMA #150
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
Alpine Stereo
GAZ rear shocks
Old 01-14-2019, 07:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ecky is more than capable of checking out the normal stuff. Personally I would drive it home.

Sam
MIMA #150
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
Alpine Stereo
GAZ rear shocks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in