No crank on bypassed car that was fine for months - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Problems and Troubleshooting

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2019, 12:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default No crank on bypassed car that was fine for months

Car won't crank or even click the bendix today. I hear some very faint relay clicking a few seconds after I turn the key which sounds like it trying to use the 12v starter. I don't hear any loud clicks like a bendix clicking in. The headlights work and are bright. The fan blower works and blows normal speed. The lights didn't get any brighter when trying to jumpstart the car and symptoms didn't change. I tried holding the key in several times for at least 15 seconds and nothing happened. The car has been fully bypassed for months. It has never not tried to crank even when it's been -25 out it still cranked slowly and started the car. It's 5 above and even with a jumpstart it won't even click beyond very faint relay clicking.
hondarider90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2019, 01:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

Bad earths/leads/12v battery
Bad relays
Bad starter

Work through the list..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ObdIIc&c, Imac&c, ImaBoost, Current Hacks available. Enqs to 150mpg[at]gmail.com
retepsnikrep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2019, 03:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

Starter was ruled out. I finally managed to get it to crank every so often. When it cranks it fires right up quick as can be. Sometimes if I have the key held to start for 10 seconds and it hasn't started if I quickly cycle it from start to off to start it will fire instantly without any of the normal delay of waiting for the IMA system before going to bypass.

An interesting note is that before my full IMA bypass was put in (the mudder system) the car would crank on the 12v without delay. I never had it try to use the 12v and IMA at the same time when the IMA worked so it doesn't have a shorted start relay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2019, 07:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

My car is doing it too. I wiggled the ground on the battery , Problem cleared up.
NathanC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2019, 08:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

When I get it back up north I'm thinking about pulling all the grounds, shining them up and coating them with some terminal protector. I noticed they're starting to get slightly rusty again. I can't get it to replicate the problem now and not really much has changed. One weird thing I noticed was that the starter once seemed like it hesitated halfway through a crank, I'm not sure what that means but it seems like it lost a permissive for just long enough to hear it then got it back.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

The other thing I noticed is that I don't think the fuel pump was priming last night when it wouldn't start. If it had been I wouldn't have been able to hear the extremely faint clicks I heard.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Sounds to me like Peter got it on the first try, and your plan to "shine up the grounds" is probably folly. It's usually not the ends that are the problem. They routinely corrode internally.

Just replace them.

S Keith is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2019, 09:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

On my car the green lock (immobilizer) was blocking the car from running
rmay635703 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in