IMA/CEL, Battery won't hold a charge after grid charging - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Problems and Troubleshooting

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2019, 11:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default IMA/CEL, Battery won't hold a charge after grid charging

To add insult to injury...

So a few days ago I was coming home in my 06 Jetta TDI, and it started acting funky, long story short the cam failed which is a common problem. So i've been driving my 00 insight the 150 mile round trip commute in the mean time.

About 2 days ago, on the way home, the IMA light and CEL pop on, and I no longer have any assist or regen. I figure it's just time to rebalance the pack, so I park it when I get home and plug in the grid charger.

Next day (yesterday) The battery indicator on the dash is only half full, I still have no regen, and about 20 minutes into my commute the pack shows that it has 2 or 3 bars left. At no point during the drive did I see on the dash any indication of assist.

So, I flip my switch that turns off the IMA (previous owner installed it, not entirely sure what it does but i'm assuming it just opens the circuit) and drive it as though there were no battery. Throw the grid charger on it again last night to see if that helps any.

I wake up to a full indicated battery, but the IMA/CEL lights are still on, and about 30 minutes into my drive with the ima toggled off via switch, i've completely drained the displayed battery gauge. There's no bars on it.

Take it to the parts store to see if I can figure out what the CEL is, and they can't connect... So i'm at a loss here.

I've got it hooked back up to the grid charger, since I noticed today that it was a little harder to start without any of that battery, but I don't really know what I need to do.

roughly 280k (No clue since the trip button is broken), regular oil/filter changes, battery pack was replaced in 2013 if my memory serves me correct.

Thoughts?
Kahlua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2019, 01:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

I didn't see where you reset the codes. Either pull Fuse #16 under the hood (tall pink 30A one) for a few seconds, or disconnect the 12V battery. Then your SOC will be zero until you drive it around a few miles. Then your ASC will be accurate and the IMA and CEL lights will be gone.

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
2000 Citrus with aerodynamic extension
2002 Blue getting new engine
Rainsux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2019, 06:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahlua View Post

roughly 280k (No clue since the trip button is broken),

The fix.
https://www.insightcentral.net/forum...-exchange.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahlua View Post

battery pack was replaced in 2013 if my memory serves me correct.
OEM or aftermarket pack?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Warm White or Cool White available!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 Insight,
tryingbe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2019, 08:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
I believe it's OEM. It was done a few owners ago.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Step one with any IMA light or CEL is check the codes. You have no idea what you're dealing with otherwise.

Simply turning off the master switch generally isn't adequate to bypass the pack. There are connectors you have to unplug as well, or you don't get 12V charging.

The way you describe it, I get the impression that the car sits a lot - really bad idea - great way to kill a battery.

Before you reset the system, blink the codes (link in sig), so at least you know what you were dealing with.

S Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2019, 08:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

If one auto parts store can't get the codes, go to another. They all have code readers. Then use the procedure in S Keith signature to read the blink codes off the dash lights. It only takes a paper clip, a flashlight and a few minutes.

Do you do your own auto tinkering? Do you have a socket set and a wrench set? How about a multi-meter?

As S Keith said, you have to do more than just turn off the switch, you have to take off the IMA cover and unplug a couple of plugs. Otherwise, no 12V charging and the car will eventually stall on the road, particularly if the battery light on dash is on.

If you take cars to repair shops or dealers, you may be in a rather bad situation with an Insight.

Last edited by jime; 03-01-2019 at 08:41 AM.
jime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2019, 04:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
eq1

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Keith View Post
Simply turning off the master switch generally isn't adequate to bypass the pack. There are connectors you have to unplug as well, or you don't get 12V charging.
Sounds like OP is talking about a 'calpod' clutch switch when he mentions "flipping a switch" to disable the IMA...
Old 03-03-2019, 02:03 AM   #8 (permalink)

Seems like just pulling the fuse did the trick.. Weird, but i'll take it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in