Big transmission problem, please help!!! Car won't move in any gear. - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Problems and Troubleshooting

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2019, 01:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Big transmission problem, please help!!! Car won't move in any gear.

My driveway has a taller than average curb. Yesterday when I was backing my car from the street into my driveway in reverse, when I hit the curb I heard like a pop. The car then rolled forward and now doesn't move when I shift into any gear. The car still puts on reverse lights when shifting into reverse. It still went into Auto stop in neutral. The physical shifting of the car still feels normal, the car just doesn't move at all. I checked the shifting linkage under the hood and it seems to move normally. Still have clutch fluid. Anyone have any idea what went out? So these symptoms point to something specific. Any help greatly appreciated.
mike103192 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019, 02:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

Broken drive shaft or something in the gearbox/diff

Have you looked underneath?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ObdIIc&c, Imac&c, ImaBoost, Current Hacks available. Enqs to 150mpg[at]gmail.com
retepsnikrep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2019, 03:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

I jacked the car up and looked underneath but didn't see anything extremely obvious. Then again I wasn't looking for anything particular. Would those issues be obvious? Some more searching is making me think potentially something in my clutch blew up. Is there anyway to check this without dropping the trans? If I do end up replacing the clutch, would something like below be all I would need?

https://www.amazon.com/Clutch-Hatchb...gateway&sr=8-3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019, 03:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

Sounds like an Inboard cv joint might have popped out it only has to come out 1/2” to keep the car from moving check both inner joints to be sure they do pop out easily on Honda’s not just Insights

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Xspeedracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2019, 08:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

I will check the cv joints shortly. I didn't even think of that. Hopefully this is the case.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:26 AM   #6 (permalink)

with the car on jackstands and transmission in gear spin one front wheel. The other one should spin in the opposite direction. When doing this, get under the car and make sure the axle spins with the wheel and verify it right up to the tranaxle. Do both wheels. Looks for tears in the CV joint boot covers. As mentioned, make sure the inner CV joints are firmly seated in the transaxle. Skip to the 7:00 minute mark on this video and notice how there is a minimum gap between the CV joint and the transaxle, just enough to get a prybar in there. Any more is too much and you need to pop the CV joint back in.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for detailed instructions. I will post back shortly some more diagnostic info from these instructions
Old 04-15-2019, 09:13 AM   #8 (permalink)

Also to further on my original post, it wasn't until the front tires hit the curb was when this happened.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

Actual CV axle broke. Thanks guys for bringing it up. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190415_092558929_1555338912655.jpg (165.4 KB, 28 views)
Old 04-15-2019, 11:41 AM   #10 (permalink)

I didn't realize CV axles are apparently special on the insight. The dealer quoted $1700 just in parts to replace both sides. Does anyone know if the Rock Auto parts will work for $100 instead.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_20190415-103144_1555342885985.png (181.1 KB, 12 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in