IMA on, blink code 69, SOC 1 bar, but IMA start. What's wrong? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Problems and Troubleshooting

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2019, 03:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy IMA on, blink code 69, SOC 1 bar, but IMA start. What's wrong?

My 2006 MT, 93000, original battery, was working fine until stored for 3 months in Maine winter. When the snow receded, 12V battery was discharged, so I disconnected and trickle charged it. It started on 12V starter. SOC showed no bars, but after a few minutes running, came up to 3 bars. Following starts on IMA. On the road, everything normal for about 5 miles, then SOC went to "full charge" for about a minute, then IMA light came on, with check engine light. SOC went to 1 bar, assist and charge not working. Unchanged the rest of 50 mile trip. OBDII readout showed code P0070 (supposed to indicate a generic Ambient Air Temperature Sensor Circuit). The blink code is 69, which I can't find in the shop manual. It still starts on IMA, but check engine light is on, as well as the IMA light. Can anyone interpret this situation for me?
Aleni is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2019, 05:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

IMA battery is out of balance you need an IMA grid charger asap.

3 months storage is just about on the money for the worst possible IMA layup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ObdIIc&c, Imac&c, ImaBoost, Current Hacks available. Enqs to 150mpg[at]gmail.com
retepsnikrep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2019, 08:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for that, Retepsnikrep. I'll go ahead and get a grid charger. Just after I posted, the IMA light stayed off when I drove it, and the charge and assist functions returned. Although the SOC showed 4 bars after a short drive, it was back to zero after resting a short time. I'll get that grid charger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2019, 12:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Question The evolving saga

The next chapter in this ongoing saga is that the SOC meter now moves quite quickly to full charge after starting at zero after 20 sec. with the engine off. IMA start still works, and charge and assist also. One new bit: the idle stop indicator rings the "chime" as if the door were open, though it's not. This after the SOC meter has started its rise, after a mile or so of driving. It's done this repeatedly four or five times, now.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Get the charger and charge the battery. Make sure the 12V battery is in good shape. Go on a long trip and try not to use the IMA much.
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2019, 01:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hypermiler

Garage

Aleni:

Many of us own Jeff's charger unit including me. Jeff is well respected here on IC. Most will recommend a unit that has "discharge capability".
, IMAC&C
'01 mt, Silver, 222k,
, MIMA, currently "
"
'00 Citrus,, 184k,
, MIMA,

'01 mt, Oxy Blue, 218k

Go Navy, or don't go
Mountain driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2019, 03:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default Charger ordered

Thanks for the responses, guys. I've just ordered Jeff's charger. I hope the batt is in good enough shape to revive. Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in