P0560 P1580 P1586 codes - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Problems and Troubleshooting

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2019, 10:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default P0560 P1580 P1586 codes

Bought a 2001 Insight with automatic transmission for my grandson and I knew it needed work. Previous owner said car worked fine as long as they put the car on 12v battery charger at night. They also said they had to disconnect the 12v battery occasionally in order to keep the 12v operating system at reasonable voltage. They had added a cigarette lighter voltage meter to keep track of that.

The IMA light was on and the battery condition meters were working when I brought it home, but the dash battery condition meters have now gone blank.

I have installed a new bosch 12v battery and that produced no change.

I ran Torque Pro and got the P0560 P1580 and P1586 codes. I can clear them with Torque Pro and they return immediately. I have some spare battery pack parts, but no complete, working battery pack. I have an RB Battery charger, but have not tried it yet.

Where should I start? Thanks in advance!

Mike

Last edited by mcoday; 05-06-2019 at 10:15 AM. Reason: correct not gone blank with now gone blank
mcoday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2019, 11:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

P1580 & P1586 pdfs attached.

Diagnostics suggest a problem with battery current sensor and or the BCM.

You can't clear underlying IMA codes with torque pro, you can only clear the ecm DTC's, you must do the 12v disconnect or fuse 18 pull to clear IMA codes.

Of course they will come straight back if you haven't fixed the problem.

My advice.

1) Do all the normal stuff like engine grounds, 12v battery condition/charge check etc etc.

2) Do you have a spare BCM? If so swap that, clear the ima codes and see what happens.

3) Do you have a spare MCM? If so swap that, clear the ima codes and see what happens.

4) Do you have a spare BCM battery current sensor? If so swap that, clear the ima codes and see what happens.

5) Report back on progress and update us with any final result.

P0560 is probably engine related I didn't look at that one.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf P1580-65-0WR0-00.pdf (129.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: pdf P1586-23-0WR0-00.pdf (73.4 KB, 5 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ObdIIc&c, Imac&c, ImaBoost, Current Hacks available. Enqs to 150mpg[at]gmail.com
retepsnikrep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2019, 02:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

ok, working on it. Checked fuses, nothing blown. Pulled grounds, cleaned the contact surfaces, reinstalled, no apparent issues. Checked the draw on the battery with key out. It pulls about 60 ma, then gradually reduces and seems to stabilize around 11 ma draw. 12v battery condition is good.

So, I guess I am on to swapping out bcm, mcm and sensors next. I have a RB grid charger that I purchased to condition this battery and a battery on my daughter's 2005 Civic. Haven't gotten to that with either car yet.

It may be a few days before I get back to this project. I had planned to pull the whole battery pack and give it a good look for grounds, general condition and to install the RB Battery grid harness.

Thanks

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2019, 04:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

ground contact surfaces are not particularly relevant. The ground straps corrode internally under the plastic sleeve.

Regarding the RB, ensure you use separate harnesses for the vehicles. They are not compatible. Fan control is different between them. If you were thinking cooling isn't necessary, you're very wrong.

S Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2019, 10:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default rb harness

thanks, Keith. I bought both harnesses, so that I can charge the insight and the civic using the same charger, with the separate harnesses. I believe you on the cooling fan issue. I don't know what would happen with overheating the pack, but it would not be good. Cheers, M
Old 05-07-2019, 05:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default bcm and mcm

are these units different for an insight with the cvt tranny rather than the 5 speed manual? I have a pair, but I am not sure what they came out of, almost certainly a 5 speed manual.

Thanks

Mike
Old 05-08-2019, 02:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

They are interchangeable albeit with slightly different characteristics that haven't been exactly quantified.

Anyway they will be fine for testing..

ObdIIc&c, Imac&c, ImaBoost, Current Hacks available. Enqs to 150mpg[at]gmail.com
retepsnikrep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2019, 03:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default swapped out the MCM, no change

I had a mcm ending in the 904cv which I think is the correct one for CVT. I put in a 905, no change, except the 560 code is now coming and going. I am ignoring that one for now. I think it may have something to do with the state of charge of the 12v battery which is variable at this time.

SOC meter on the dash, still blank. So still looking at P1580 and P1586. On to the BCM swap
Old 05-10-2019, 03:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default swapped out the BCM, now showing P1648

So now running on the swapped out MCM and BCM and I get P1648 and the other codes are gone. I can clear the code, it keeps coming back. P0560 still coming and going. SOC meter on the dash still showing nothing. Smells like progress to me.

I bet I am going to be swapping out a junction board next, but I will wait for advice. I am in no great hurry and I really appreciate having folks with experience weigh in with advice and directions. Thanks a bunch,

Mike
Old 05-12-2019, 04:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default swapping out battery cells now

I got the pack out and gave it a quick look and I could see a fair amount of corrosion. I checked voltages on the 20 sticks and there are numerous very bad sticks, so I am moving ahead to replace the battery sticks. I have an extra pack of sticks that look much better than these sticks, but they came from a junkyard pack and the remover cut wires left and right, so I am going to need to splice the three sensor wiresets from the module on top to the three sticks where they attach inside the shrink wrap. Can I get some help with this step? Is it ok to splice those wires?

I am hoping that all the error codes and issues will go away once I have a healthy set of sticks in the ima battery.

Thanks

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
p0560, p1580, p1586

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in