New Owner - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Problems and Troubleshooting

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2019, 06:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Owner

I purchased a 2002 Honda Insight for 3500. The IMA light and CEL came on 3 weeks after the purchase. My question is I can buy a Cardone battery for 932.00 with a 3 year warranty or purchase a battery from Bumblebee or Greentec for $1000 more (1900+) with a 3 year warranty. Any reason why I should NOT buy Cardone.
1goolfer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2019, 08:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

Location: Exiled from Florida. Crawfordsville, IN. About an hour west of INDY

Hi,
I would suggest you look into someplace like Hybrid Automotive for a charger you can balance your battery with, before dropping $$ on a battery that will need this eventually anyway.
Happy Motoring!
jbyoungis@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2019, 09:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Is that you Terry? Update your location - quick links - edit your details

I absolutely, positively would not buy from either Cardone or Dorman based on the workmanship of their Prius rebuilds. It's the sloppiest sh!t I've ever seen.

Given that the rock-bottom cost of NEW sticks from China is about $800 before shipping, I doubt the $932 includes new cells. If it does, they are bottom-of-the-barrel garbage that constitutes the rejects, or Cardone has chosen to sell them below cost.

More likely that it's a rebuild, and you should count on at least one replacement during the warranty period, so factor that cost and hassle in as well.

EDIT: and buying a new battery without fixing the A/C here in PHX is a recipe for pain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by S Keith; 05-12-2019 at 09:50 AM.
S Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2019, 12:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you S.! Yes, it is Terry. I appreciate your time, help and advice. I am having the water pump replaced (along with the harmonizer and belt) now as well as the air conditioning repaired. The car is in the shop at this moment. I am trying to think about the next step which seems to be to replace the IMA battery. Thoughts?
Old 05-12-2019, 12:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

I had the car sold here in Phoenix last week for 1995.00 but could not sell it...I have wanted an Insight for so long...just trying to get it going. I know I am in over my head after reading these posts...I honestly do not even understand most of it...Charging and Discharging...???
Old 05-12-2019, 01:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm sure if you get together with Steve he can teach you all the aspects you need. It is fairly simple and with the right charger/discharger it is almost automatic.

Please include your Location in your Profile, as ALL G1 Insighters have done.
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2019, 01:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

You could just disable the battery and drive IMA less

Just have to unplug 3 wires
rmay635703 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2019, 01:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thank you Willie. I am in Phoenix. Yes, I am hoping to learn more. Steve has been great.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yes, I understand I could unplug the IMA but what are the disadvantages. Seems that the 12 volt becomes very important. It looks like mileage would decrease, may run rougher..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in