Autostop issues - Page 2 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Problems and Troubleshooting

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2019, 03:12 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Williford View Post
Sounds like the IMA might be disabled. Never said it assisted. Batt. always at 80 %.
if IMA is disabled, min. charge to 12V, When 12V gets low, will not autostop.
The IMA is functional with assist, I just have to keep the charge up or else it recalibrates on me (It's on it's last legs). The clutch position switch and neutral switch sound interesting if someone can point me to them!
Thanks -Henry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2019, 03:16 PM   #12 (permalink)

Sadly, if this isn't solved I will retire the IMA for good.
It's not worth the hassle without autostop I do a lot of city driving.
Old 06-08-2019, 03:32 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHacker View Post
I just have to keep the charge up or else it recalibrates on me (It's on it's last legs).
There is a good chance this is the problem. Don't expect things to operate properly when key components are way below par. Have you grid charged?

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
2000 Citrus with aerodynamic extension
2002 Blue getting new engine
Rainsux is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2019, 03:39 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainsux View Post
There is a good chance this is the problem. Don't expect things to operate properly when key components are way below par. Have you grid charged?

Sam
I've been grid charging it every 1-2 weeks for the past 6 months. It's far from ideal but I've always had autostop until recently... Like I said, it started randomly restarting at stop lights like something was malfunctioning.
Old 06-08-2019, 04:39 PM   #15 (permalink)

Right. Like the weak IMA has dropped below some predetermined level. An OBDIIC&C gauge would give you the specifics.

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
2000 Citrus with aerodynamic extension
2002 Blue getting new engine
Rainsux is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2019, 07:18 PM   #16 (permalink)

Well today I am reliably getting autostop again...
The only factor that changed is the weather, went from 91 to 75.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:56 AM   #17 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

Dying battery makes reliably diagnosing issue problematic.
It's probably the ima battery, but if it isn't the dying battery, it severely clouds the issue..

If the car has served you well, saved money, is in generally good condition and you want to keep it, then fix the ima and sanity will probably be restored..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ObdIIc&c, Imac&c, ImaBoost, Current Hacks available. Enqs to 150mpg[at]gmail.com
retepsnikrep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2019, 10:07 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Sadly, if this isn't solved I will retire the IMA for good.
It's not worth the hassle without autostop I do a lot of city driving.
If you retire the IMA, autostop won't function at all.
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 02:59 AM   #19 (permalink)
eq1

Quote:
Like I said, it started randomly restarting at stop lights like something was malfunctioning.
This part makes me think neutral position switch, a 2 pin connector located by the shifter linkages on top of the transmission. There's a troubleshooting test for it in the pdf service manual, section "mamual transmission," pages 6 and 7 or so... Shifting into gear (i.e. out of neutral) is one of the few things that will bring the car out of autostop once stopped. I can see how, if that switch were faulty in some way, it would bring the car out of autostop and perhaps it might confuse the system and not autostop at all sometimes (this part seems iffy)...

Anyway, another easy check - check that connector at least for signs of corrosion, loose wires, etc...

Oh, also, the clutch switch is down by the clutch pedal, either above it or below it. Can't miss it. I've heard of those being broken... Have you noticed anything weird with your up shift arrow indicator? You might want to keep an eye on that and see if it's misbehaving - if you have a neutral and/or clutch switch issue, seems like your up shift indicator won't work properly. Then again, you'd have to be familiar with what "properly" looks like to begin with...

Last edited by eq1; 06-12-2019 at 03:05 AM.
eq1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 09:02 AM   #20 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
I've been grid charging it every 1-2 weeks for the past 6 months. It's far from ideal but I've always had autostop until recently... Like I said, it started randomly restarting at stop lights like something was malfunctioning.
You're probably due for a discharge. Frequent charging necessitates discharging due to capacity loss from over charging. Restore capacity with a discharge.

Since the health of your battery is in question, I wouldn't do an ultra-deep discharge. Simply discharge to 96V and re-charge for 24 hours.

S Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in