IMA battery not starting car after "cleaning" contacts on Trip button/circuit bd - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Problems and Troubleshooting

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2019, 04:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default GOT IT ! IMA battery not starting car after cleaning Trip button circuit bd contacts

Hello-
I had the trip button not allowing a reset of the Maint Reqd light on the dash condition. The gauge cluster was removed, and the rubber boot for the trip button was pulled to one side to clean the contact. Taking a close look at the contacts with an inspection loupe, it appears the contacts actually sit in a soft, clear material of some sort, and as they complete the circuit by pressing downward onto the board, the only thing the (top) cleanable part of the button makes contact with is the rubber of the button's boot/cover. Irregardless, I "cleaned" it by scraping with an eyeglass screwdriver, and reassembled.

Well, the maint req'd light no longer lights up, even on initially moving the ignition key to ON (II). The trip buttons work fine, and I can reset Trip A & B, but now the car will not start with the IMA battery! The normal dash lights all light up (except for the maint reqd light).

The 12v battery was disconnected & reconnected (on a couple of attempts, the starter motor started cranking the motor!). All fuses were checked under the hood and inside the car.

The cluster came out again, and all plugs and pins were inspected, but everything seems ok.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thx.

Last edited by Sunburst; 06-11-2019 at 07:34 PM.
Sunburst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2019, 07:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well that is a new one. Never heard of anyone trying to "clean" the pushbutton. They are so cheap that everyone just replaces them.

Anyway, if you had the cluster unplugged while trying to do this, I can't see how anything electrical could have been shorted with a metallic screwdriver, but I'm not a cluster expert.

As retepsnikep suggested the other day, pull a plug and coil, connect them and lay them on the valve cover and crank the engine to see if there is a spark. If no spark, suspect the ECM, or maybe the ignition switch. Anyway, no spark, more troubleshooting required.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jime View Post
Well that is a new one. Never heard of anyone trying to "clean" the pushbutton. They are so cheap that everyone just replaces them.
I got the idea from this YouTube (at the 4 min mark):

Quote:
Originally Posted by jime View Post
As retepsnikep suggested the other day, pull a plug and coil, connect them and lay them on the valve cover and crank the engine to see if there is a spark. If no spark, suspect the ECM, or maybe the ignition switch. Anyway, no spark, more troubleshooting required.
Yes, unfortunately, on second attempt to turn the key to start, the conventional starter will crank the motor, to no avail. Does the coil come out with the spark plug? 'Strange that the ECM might've been fried from doing something simple as this with the cluster unplugged.

Are the two small boards (the other adjusts dashboard brightness level) interchangeable, and could I try swapping those (even though the trip a/trip b is working fine) ?

It is the Maint Req'd light that is now not working (even when initially turning key to ON (II). I'm thinking that is tied into this no-start condition (?)

Thanks for the reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2019, 10:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Something new to learn all the time. I had not seen that U-tube. I still think it is smarter to just renew all the buttons at the same time, but in theory the approach works. Since the operation is performed with the cluster unpowered I really don't see anything in that sequence which strikes me as damaging. Are you sure you got all the plugs replugged?

If your repair was as outlined in the video, I also don't see how the ECM would be fried either. Still it sounds like somehow the plugs aren't firing, assuming of course that the car was running when your repair started.

The coil and the plug will come out as seperate pieces. You can then plug the sparkplug into the coil and see if you are getting spark. I think you will have to lay the plug on some metal surface so that the metal outer shell of the plug is grounded.

It's been so long since I did this repair that I don't remember whether the boards are interchangeable.

I'm sure someone will see something that I'm not seeing
Old 06-10-2019, 05:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Well, the two little boards behind the instrument cluster (one for trip, the other for dash brightness/dimming) are interchangeable- the dealership parts guy confirmed identical parts numbers.

I just swapped the two little boards; now I can change dash brightness, but can no longer toggle between Lmpg and the trips a & b (i.e., I didn't clean the contacts for the dash brightness adjuster), so I swapped them back, & now can get to the trip displays.

Another clue to the no IMA start (won't even turn the motor)?: state of charge is showing zero bars.

Once again, plugs, pins and wiring all closely inspected, but everything looks fine.

Tomorrow I look at spark, but the fact that it won't fire up under the conventional starter already not expecting to see spark.

'Will check continuity on any (and there are a few) fuses marked "IGN" tomorrow.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Just go here and do it right. I've gotten at least three sets from Scott and they have always worked perfectly.

https://www.insightcentral.net/forum...-exchange.html

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
2000 Citrus with aerodynamic extension
2002 Blue getting new engine
Rainsux is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2019, 04:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainsux View Post
Just go here and do it right. I've gotten at least three sets from Scott and they have always worked perfectly.

https://www.insightcentral.net/forum...-exchange.html

Sam
I will certainly be doing that, and soon. 'Will be looking at fuses again first- it just seems strange that those little buttons could take the IMA system down.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:53 AM   #8 (permalink)

Start the car and let it run, rev to 3k to force charge it and see if your soc goes up. Once full or even half bars shut car off and see if it starts on ima. Probably not a cluster problem at all. Im running no cluster at the moment and car runs fine and functions fully.
slociviccoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2019, 09:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

There lies the problem. The vehicle "WILL NOT START even on conventional starter."
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 436,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Willie Williford; 06-11-2019 at 09:53 AM.
Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2019, 10:17 AM   #10 (permalink)

Yes, Willie, that is true, but that is some good knowledge to have, knowing that the car can be operated without the instrument cluster in it.

Also- in retrospect, I wish I had never messed with wanting to get that maintenance required light out, and also regret not disconnecting both power sources before hand.

Also #2- so the big switch in the back over the IMA battery actually functions as circuit breaker?

Last edited by Sunburst; 06-11-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in