P0560 P1440 codes - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Problems and Troubleshooting

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2019, 02:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default P0560 P1440 codes

Back to work on my grandson's 2001 Insight with auto/cvt tranny. After changing out BCM, MCM and battery sticks and putting a 12 hr charge into my junkyard sticks with RB Battery charger, things seemed to be looking pretty good. I had SOC meter holding the state of charge at near 100% after turning the car off, then restarting. IMA system appeared to be charging the battery and using the assist when needed for acceleration. I was still throwing P0560, but I decided to put it back on the road with my grandson at the wheel and see what happened.

It's been on the road for a week, he is very happy, did not mention any issues. I took it out for an errand this morning to see how it was doing and I find that after a couple of minutes of driving, the IMA system light comes on, the charge and assist meters stop showing any activity, but the SOC meter on the battery still shows full charge state.

If I turn off the key, restart the car, ima system is healthy again for a few minutes, then it repeats.

I have codes of P0560 and P1440. CEL blink codes are 69 and 34. IMA blink code is 57.

The good news is that I got 51 mpg on the 50 mile trip without the IMA system and the AC system on.

This is my second thread on this car. I changed out a lot of parts and got rid of earlier codes, except for P0560 which has been steady.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on how to proceed.

Mike
mcoday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2019, 03:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

This if relevant:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6E...BFZXg4b28/view

Note that there are three fuses in the circuit.

Maybe more later.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jime View Post
This if relevant:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6E...BFZXg4b28/view

Note that there are three fuses in the circuit.

Maybe more later.
I have checked fuses under dash, all good. I have checked the fuses under the hood, all good. If any of the fuses for this circuit is not in those two places, I could have missed a blown fuse. I have a voltage meter. Maybe it makes sense to check for the 5v at the ecm and determine if the circuit is powered up? Any ideas as to which wire on which plug should be delivering the 5v to the ECM? Pictures would be much appreciated. I will also keep researching this P0560 question because I have not touched it with everything I have done, so I think there's a good chance that this problem originates in the harness somewhere before the ECM.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2019, 04:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default P1440 blink code of 57

says IMA system problem per 99mpg.com blink code reference sheet

??
Old 06-12-2019, 05:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
eq1

Here's a troubleshooting pdf for the P1440-57 code. That's not one I've seen reported here, ever... See attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf P1440-57-0WR0-00.pdf (89.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 06-12-2019, 06:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Both of these codes are strange to me, but I'm not the sharpest troubleshooter around

Maybe Peter will see the thread.

I'll see if I can identify a test pin on the ECM for the P0560, soon as I can locate my Electrical Troubleshooting Guide.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Found my Electrical Troubleshooting Guide (Schematics), but I can't find reference to the 5V power distribution. It's a mudder or a retepsnikrep level problem
Old 06-13-2019, 12:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep
Default My thoughts..

Assuming all earths and body grounds are all intact and 12v battery good etc etc.

ECM P0560 VBU voltage problem.

The ECM has a couple of internal 12V dc-dc 5v converters.

The one powered by the VBU line (responsible for backup data storage etc) should be live at all times.

Find the VBU pin on the ECM connectors and check that it has 12V power at all times.

If no power, then that's the problem.. (Blown fuse, bad harness etc)
If 12V then probably an internal ECM issue. (Try another ECM)

MCM P1440 - 57

An unusual code and it may be a problem with the phase current sensors inside the MDM causing false reporting,
or an actual problem as described in the advanced diagnostics.

Assuming all the connections in the IMA compartment are secure/intact etc and it's not rodents, bad connections etc

1) Have you swapped the original MCM back in? Y/N does the code go/stay away..

2) The simplest way to kill all the rest of birds with one shot will be to swap out the MDM
the big silver box on the left hand side of the IPU compartment with a known good one. There are loads in junkyards over there.

If the same code still recurs then it may be an actual IMA motor problem but I would say that is incredibly unlikely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ObdIIc&c, Imac&c, ImaBoost, Current Hacks available. Enqs to 150mpg[at]gmail.com
retepsnikrep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2019, 09:54 AM   #9 (permalink)

@ mcoday. Do you have the Electrical Troubleshooting guide?

(In my strong opinion, no one should not now own these cars without a hard copy of the Electrical Troubleshooting guide and the Service Manual. Without those, trying to fix something is like driving in the dark. They come up from time-to-time on eBay.)

Last edited by jime; 06-13-2019 at 11:36 AM. Reason: addition and clarification
jime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2019, 11:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jime View Post
@ mcoday. Do you have the Electrical Troubleshooting guide?

(In my strong opinion, no one should now own these cars without a hard copy of the Electrical Troubleshooting guide and the Service Manual. Without those, trying to fix something is like driving in the dark. They come up from time-to-time on eBay.)
I don't have the guide. Are we talking about this book?

https://www.amazon.com/INSIGHT-Elect.../dp/B01K2N1JYK

Looks like 3 of them available at $124 each from amazon right now

going to respond/work on one thing at a time.

Thanks

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in