Driver's side parking brake won't engage - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Problems and Troubleshooting

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2019, 02:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Default Driver's side parking brake won't engage

So I've been dinkering with a little bit of a generic problem I've been having now.

My parking brake doesn't fully engage. Yes, I've tried adjusting it, but it seems to need more than just a simple adjustment.

This is a picture of the parking brake cable area:

The passenger side brake engages and disengages as it should, but the driver's side cable is the one that appears too long in the attached picture, and does not engage at all, but allows the wheel to spin freely even when engaged. This has resulted in me not being able to park on any kind of steeper incline, and not on any incline at all unless in gear (I always park in gear, but just wanted to show how weak the engagement of the parking brake is). It's livable here, but when I return to Virginia for college, about 90% of parking spots are on some kind of incline, so I'd like to get it fixed before heading back down.

Searching the forums and online pretty much just gave the generic "adjust parking brake using the bolt" answer, which seems pretty ridiculous considering pretty much every car has a parking brake. Adjusting the brake doesn't fix the issue.

Is it possible for the cable to become stretched? Wondering if something got seized between the cable and the rear drum brake shoe. Nothing's rusted out, it's just a little dirty atm due to needing a wash, and there's a little surface rust on some of the metal components, but that's about it.

Thoughts or advice?
| Full IMA delete, 15V Meanwell pseudo-alternator, increased tire pressure, grille block, WAI, underbody panels, Scott's pan, other aeromods
| 6th gen Civic console, 8th gen Civic shift knob, Polk DB652 speakers, all LED lighting except interior and signals
| Details:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mpg_numbers_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2019, 04:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

The answer is under your car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Warm White or Cool White available!

2000 Insight,
tryingbe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2019, 04:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Garage

Under the car, or over by the rear brake drum? As far as I know, each cable runs directly from the e-brake handle over to the rear drum brakes. The car is lifted up at the moment, and I followed the lines back from the rear drums and nothing seems broken at all there.
| Full IMA delete, 15V Meanwell pseudo-alternator, increased tire pressure, grille block, WAI, underbody panels, Scott's pan, other aeromods
| 6th gen Civic console, 8th gen Civic shift knob, Polk DB652 speakers, all LED lighting except interior and signals
| Details:

Last edited by mpg_numbers_guy; 07-09-2019 at 04:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2019, 04:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

There is something definitely wrong with the top cable in the picture, which is the driver's side brake cable. I just looked at my parts car and the T-bar is at 90deg angle to handle.The driver's side cable looks to be hyper extended. If it is actually connected within the drum, then it looks to me like a broken cable. Maybe salt water got up into the cable tube and weakened the cable to point it broke??

The way the system is designed, you have to have cable tension on both sides to get any effective tension in either cable.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jime View Post
There is something definitely wrong with the top cable in the picture, which is the driver's side brake cable. I just looked at my parts car and the T-bar is at 90deg angle to handle.The driver's side cable looks to be hyper extended. If it is actually connected within the drum, then it looks to me like a broken cable. Maybe salt water got up into the cable tube and weakened the cable to point it broke??

The way the system is designed, you have to have cable tension on both sides to get any effective tension in either cable.
Yep. It's been at this weird angle ever since I bought it. The brake used to hold fine, but over time it's gotten worse. On any incline there is only slight resistance with just the parking brake engaged, even though the passenger side doesn't move.

If the cable broke, I should be able to just pull it out though, right? When the brake is engaged both cables appear just as taut, albeit with that messed up angle. Following the driver's side line down doesn't show anything to be broken, but the fact that there is absolutely no resistance on tbe driver's side even with the brake engaged makes it sound plausible. Is it possible for the wire to break within the rubber surrounding it?

It looks like a pain to remove.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Your cable is frozen and probably broken or dis-connected. Did you pull the rear drums off and take a look?
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301,000 miles
Another MaxIMA Battery, on 6/25/17 @ 399,252 miles
Use: 438,000 mi. @ 58.2 LMPG.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2019, 06:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Pulling it out might be a difficult task if it if rusted up inside the cable tube. I think part of the tube is a steel, spiral wound tube. If so, then it can rust badly inside the tube. It could thusly "lockup." Locked cables have been a problem with some old car designs.

I don't think there would be any harm in trying to pull the cable out. You might even use a pair of vice grips around the cable end. If it is broken, It might pull out.

Hondaparts.com has the parking brake "wire" but I'm not sure of the installation steps.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Right Willie. We were typing at the same time and old guys don't type very fast
Old 07-09-2019, 09:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Garage

Think I might've gotten it figured out now. Took the drum brakes apart and the parking brake lever was missing--yes, missing--from the driver's side brake assembly. This is Honda part # 43371-SAA-004.

My theory then is that when the parking brake was engaged, the wire would be pulled forward without pulling the lever, and then since the lever was not there, the wire wouldn't retract, leaving the extra wire there and throwing off the 90 degree angle.

When I get the part installed, I'll need to readjust the parking brake, so I'll install my new S2000 e-brake handle at the same time.

Hoping that's all it is, getting the part ordered tonight.
| Details:
Old 07-09-2019, 09:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

Fascinating. Some diy guy must have boogered it before you bought the car. That part could not escape the drum
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in