Honda Insight Forum banner

How do you pull the flywheel off a CVT?

12K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  Hitech 
#1 ·
Anybody know how to pull the flywheel off a CVT? I'm having trouble getting it off the transmission. I only see one snap ring, which I removed but the thing wont budge.

What am I missing?

#2 ·
I feel like the manual said you have to remove the drive plate bolts through the starter hole before separating . .

#3 ·
You do, but this is the CVT not the manual. The flywheel is riveted to the flex plate. So when you pull the transmission assembly the flywheel comes with.

#14 ·
I looked at the install portion in the manual and the cap in the center is supose to be filled with high temp grease, I'm guessing so that when you take it back apart it slides off easy. So at this point I'd put some heat around the shaft area to see if you can get the flywheel to expand a little bit and break away from the shaft. Heat, hang it like in the second picture, and then start smacking it with a hammer to break it all loose.

Good luck and may The Force be with you.

#6 ·
Yeah thats why I'm confused. I've tried as hard as I can to slide it off, pry it off, etc... and its not budging.

I hope the connection didn't seize up from lack of grease or anything. I think my next option is to get a bigger pry bar and possibly add some fire.

#9 ·
The service manual is vey clear, on page 14-188:

Step 29 pull the transmission away from the engine until it clears the dowel pins, then lower it to the floor.

Step 30 remove the flywheel from the transmission.

Step 31 inspect the drive plate and replace it if it is damaged.

In summary, it just falls off.....what is your issue?

#10 ·
Well it still won't come off, and I decided to stop at the risk of something breaking and the cherry picker working harder than when it lifts a 1250# boat engine.

#11 ·
That's hilarious! Great picture 2slow. I tried to take the flywheel off my HCH1 CVT last Saturday with the exact same problem. I just gave up on the flywheel after removing that snap ring and cracked it open from the other side instead. I haven't gotten this far on mine, but I was thinking if you removed everything from the other side first, you might be able to slide the flywheel out with the shaft?

The CVT belt broke on mine, which is looking too expensive to fix, so I was just trying to open it to see what's inside. I'm looking for a used transmission atm. Same problem with yours? Why are you trying to get the flywheel off?

This is my first post on a forum.

#12 · (Edited)
Hi muffins4 and welcome to the forum if you can please add your location to your signiture block so we all have an idea of where you are located.

Thanks

#13 ·
Once you have some pulling load on the flywheel with the hoist a sharp tap in the centre of the flywheel/shaft might do it if you can arrange it so you can get a hammer in there.

Beware hoist doesn't act like a trebuchet and launch the flyheel into orbit when it releases.

#24 ·
Speaking from a newb perspective here, it wasn't clear to me that the cap is welded to the flywheel. I brought my broken transmission for a core at the junkyard, and the guy there pulled off the flywheel in 2 seconds without any tools. Must've been the right touch.. he just wiggled it off.

Hitech, I bought the car with transmission failure. The guy before me said he just lost all power at a stop sign one day. There was also an issue with the shifter refusing to move. As soon as I took the drain pan off, it was very clear the belt had broken based on the dozens of metal clips that were loose all over the place. The bands could also be seen when the valve body was removed.

#17 ·
Nope, I gave up after loading it with the cherry picker and beating the snot out of it with a rubber mallet. Too dangerous so I just ordered a new to me one from the same doner vehicle at the junk yard.

I would try harder but a junkyard part is 1/10th the cost of a new one. So its not worth the risk of everything flying apart.

#18 ·
A rubber mallet ain't gonna work. Use a "dead blow hammer."
HTH
Willie

#21 ·
It was a dead blow hammer, my bad. Still didn't work.

Also, I'm not using a torch on it. Its too large of a metal heat sink to do much damage.

After all this abuse I wouldn't want to put it back in the car. I'm getting a good inspected junkyard one for under $50 shipped so NBFD.

#23 ·
Yeah I'm pretty sure mine is rusted together or something of sorts.

I didn't bother adding fire because it would destroy the bearings/seals on the flywheel which would be tough to find replacements for. Plus its a very large thermal mass to heat.

I ended up getting a junkyard flywheel for under $50 shipped.

Finished up the install today and everything is running great!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.