Front Air Dam Separating from Bumper - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Problems and Troubleshooting

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2003, 04:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Front Air Dam Separating from Bumper

On my recently purchased (used) 2002 Insight, with 17,000 miles, the black air dam has separated slightly in a couple of points. I would like to repair it myself, but am unsure what kind of adhesive to use.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, do you know what kind of "glue" to use to re-secure the air dam to the bumper bottom?

Thanks!
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2003, 08:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

Yeah., I'm having the same problem. My car was in an accident early in its life and the repair came back w/o the damper. Well it took me nearly a year to realize it was missing as I hadn't really known it was there prior to the accident. when I got it put back on it never really fit perfectly. i was thinking about trying to screw it in in more places, but glue might be a good idea too.. Perhaps your used car had to have the damper replaced, hence the poor fit.
lethostigma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2003, 09:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

I've heard others comment that some of these are held at points with double-sided tape. This is second-hand information, though. I have no experience with this.
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2003, 10:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Robxiii

I had that problem in my 2000 Insight, a little super glue + holding it in place for a good few minutes solved the problem...
Old 07-02-2003, 06:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

Using super glue is a bad idea. You won't be able to remove them now without damaging the body. And you may need to remove them at some point for replacement.
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2003, 07:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Braxus Send a message via Yahoo to Braxus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will M
I've heard others comment that some of these are held at points with double-sided tape. This is second-hand information, though. I have no experience with this.
iirc, I think they are held at some points with tape. When I purchased my Insight back in Sept of last year, the air dams weren't installed and they seemed to have a strip of that white wax paper stuff.
2001 Blue Insight CVT #3335 (Sold Sept. 2013)
Braxus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2003, 05:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

Double sided Emblem or body molding tape made by 3M.

Ensure the surface is clean. I wedge gatorade bottle under once I taped to apply pressure for quit some time.
cakley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2003, 03:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default front air dam separating from bumper

I had mine replaced under the Honda warranty, just 2 months prior to the end of the 3rd year. I showed the service writer how it was separating on my car, and then showed him that it wasn't this way on the new Insight that was sitting in the showroom.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default Lack of front airdam

Can anyone shed light on what (if anything) I will experience when I remove the lower (black) part of the front air dam. I am weary after nearly 20 years of snagging my boy on every American curb and parkinglot stop. I am assuming that Japanese curbs etc are significantly lower.

Last edited by ddalnz; 07-10-2019 at 11:45 PM. Reason: spelling
ddalnz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2019, 12:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Learner

Wow. This is one heck of the thread necro.

Worse fuel economy at highway speed. The front wheel strakes are also hold part of the fender liner in place, so if you hit a big puddle you stand a better chance of damaging things up there.

All that being said. The Insight is short car. There really is no need to run the front end over parking curbs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bull Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in