Honda Insight Forum banner

How difficult to replace the flywheel?

12K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  geo_rock 
#1 ·
My cvt has a stripped flywheel at 212,000 miles. Has anyone here replaced it themselves? It it a difficult job? Any tips or advice?

#2 · (Edited)
just slightly more difficult than removing the transmission, right?

I've only done this on a MT, but removing the axles and transmission should be about the same.

The axle nuts need a 32mm socket IIRC; make sure you straighten the locking tabs on them before you attempt to loosen them. You'll likely need a breaker bar or equivalent. Once they're loose, go ahead and raise the car and remove them the rest of the way. After that, Removing the top two bolts on the strut is an easier way to allow the wheel hub to move out of the way than what the manual tells you to do. If you don't have a service manual, links to the PDFs can be found on this forum in the stickies.

Drain your transmission fluid.

Once you get an axle free from the wheel hub, you'll use a flat bar to pop it free from the transmission. The axle has to be lined up just right and it takes a decent amount of force to pop it loose, but not all your strength. If you're working too hard to force it, it's probably not in the right position. Once you get one and have a feel for it, it's not that difficult. Plan on replacing the oil seals, cheap ones can be ordered from rockauto.com

If you can get the axles out and have a manual, I think you can figure out the rest.

#10 ·
Any chance of finishing this post? "p"?

Thanks!

Sam

#6 ·
Easy to get out took about 1 1/2 hours but had to use cutoff wheel on grinder to cut top of cover over center of old flywheel since it was stripped and bound on input shaft splines once cut off was able to blow out debris and spray penitrating oil on input shaft to get old flywheel off

#11 ·
I have several CVT's with a bad tranny. How do you tell if it's just the splines on the flywheel vs a bad cvt tranny? Do you just get in there and check visually the splines and if they are good then it's the tranny that's bad?

And then if it's the flywheel can a used one work, as I have several cvt parts cars or is it best to buy a new one? Cost? Yes, I have questions with not one answer.
Gerald

#12 ·
Hi, Gerald,

I don't think there is any way to know without pulling the tranny and looking at the splines. You might have a clue if you know the circumstances under which it failed, but you probably don't have this information.

I think a used flywheel would be fine after you make sure the splines aren't worn. Then make sure they are lubed properly and use new o-rings.

Sam

#13 ·
One hint: a car with stripped splines doesn't throw a CEL as far as I know. Just about any other failure in there will either throw a code or make some kind of terrible sound.

So if the car is code free (or at least, CVT code free) the shifter shifts nicely, and doesn't sound like it's dying but the car just fails to move, it's most likely the splines.

#14 ·
I have mentioned this before but I think I was misunderstood. I think there is a way to tell if the splines are stripped without removing the CVT.

With the transmission in Park you have to remove the starter and remove the six bolts holding the flywheel to the engine/IMA. Then you try to turn the flywheel by prying on the teeth of the flywheel with a screwdriver. If the splines are OK the tranny should keep the flywheel from turning. If they are stripped it will turn.

#17 ·
I have seen this suggested before. I disagree. My belief is that in Park the input shaft is able to turn. Otherwise, how could the engine run in Park?

So I just proved it. I have a CVT out of the car. I put it in Park. The input shaft turns freely.

Also, while the six small bolts hold the flywheel snug to the IMA rotor (or plate or whatever connects them), they do not transmit the rotational torque. There are slots in the back of the flywheel and corresponding bumps in the rotor (or plate) that do this work. So the flywheel can't turn independently of the crankshaft unless the six bolts are removed AND the CVT is unbolted and moved away from the engine about 3/8 inch.

I don't know of any way to check the flywheel splines without removing the transmission.

Sam

#16 · (Edited)
My knowledge is from a HCHI so apologies if I'm missing something.

What dowell pin? For the spline check the tranny is still bolted to the engine it's the small bolts (10mm socket) that hold the flywheel to the engine that you have to remove. You have to turn the engine to get all six as they are spaced around the circumference of the flywheel just beneath the ring gear. Don't drop one!

I should add that if it turns you have to guess by the feel if it is spinning on stripped splines or turning some of the transmission mechanism. It's not a foolproof method but the only thing I can think of without yanking the tranny and actually looking. That method certainly works.

#18 · (Edited)
Dowel Pin

What dowell pin? For the spline check the tranny is still bolted to the engine it's the small bolts (10mm socket) that hold the flywheel to the engine that you have to remove. You have to turn the engine to get all six as they are spaced around the circumference of the flywheel just beneath the ring gear. Don't drop one!..............
I do not want to belabor the point but anyone who has had anything to do with the flywheel knows that there is a dowel pin and the six bolts that secure the IMA rotor to the crankshaft. The dowel pin ensures that the rotor can only be mounted in one radial orientation. The flywheel is likewise mounted to the rotor with six bolts and a dowel pin.

Frankly, I doubt the legitimacy of the whole procedure you describe. To be charitable, I can only assume that you are repeating misinformation from an unreliable source.

#26 ·
If it is stripped you may have to do as I did cut front on button plug on center of flywheel then clean out debris. I had to hold input shaft of transmission and wiggle off flywheel due to the small amount of splines still good at bottom of flywheel locking on input shaft splines.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.