Honda Insight Forum banner

Replacing CVT Flywheel Compatibility Question

12K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  Jbjancuski 
#1 ·
Has anyone tried a different cvt flywheel other than the 00-06 insight flywheel?

I remember reading a single post saying that a flywheel from an 07 honda civic hybrid works but can't seem to find that post anymore.

I ask because they all look similar. Even the new Honda insight 10-14 flywheel looks the same except for holes cut out in the back of it.

attached are pictures of a 07 flywheel and 10-14 respectively. The front looks the exact same and the backs of the 07 and new insight flywheel are identical.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Are you sure you have your HCH generations correct? IIRC, the G1 HCH, which is similar to the Insight in some respects, was '03-'05. '06 started the G2 HCH. I don't know what happened after that.

You'd have to find somebody who has both types and carefully compare all of the dimensions with the Insight flywheel. It would be a big deal if you could find an alternate source for CVT flywheels.

Sam

#4 ·
Nice! Do we know if the HCH1 flywheel will fit the G1 Insight?

Sam

#14 ·
Is there an update to this? Have you been able to get the '10 flywheel installed in an '01-'06 Insight?

Sam

#7 · (Edited)
Just received the 10-14 insight flywheel in the mail. Took a few pictures to compare. Looks like it will work! They both have the same amount of teeth on the ring gear and are the same size. It also fits on the input shaft no problem. I ordered some new grease and will install it and see how it does.

Attachments

#9 ·
yea i wasn't going to pay $200 for a used one that will fail again or $450 for a new one. So i had to get creative and started comparing. I figured honda wouldn't change the flywheel design much if at all since the technology is essentially the same. i found this one for under $100. They are way more common and easy to find. I just need to order a new o-ring and i will install it and post the results.

#16 ·
That's really good news! Thanks for the closure.

Sam

#20 ·
A broad hello to the group.

I own a 2000 manual with over 300K and a 2002 with 147k.

The 2002 just suffered the failed flywheel issue, my o-ring is present but there is no grease and no teeth other than the first 1/10 of a mm of teeth that contact the deepest part of the input shaft where the shoulder on the shaft begins.

I have all the factory Honda Service manuals and updates and found them in this case to be useless at diagnosing.

I had the trouble code for a failed output shaft speed sensor. Honda, in the manual indicated the "ONLY" cause of this code is a failed sensor or wiring. I tested the wiring and sensor, replaced the sensor and finally believe I was right, a broken shaft could also cause the code, Honda was wrong. Well, I may have been as well but that will take my subconscious engineering mind to decide while I am asleep .

I accepted the cover all bests approach required purchasing a transmission and executed my approach. $600 later and a 1 year warranty for another $100 and I was set, well until I got the tranny out and found the missing teeth in the flywheel. Won't you know it, the early models I found for sale when I bought mine did not include the flywheel but all the later models did. And this brings us to the end of our story, if I took it apart first I would not have an extra transmission. Well, need and not have or have and not need, I had the case of both, I didn't need what I had and needed what I didn't.

4 hours of phone tag chasing each referral and I finally found a salvage yard with a 2010 flywheel they did not sell with the transmission, $125 after shipping and it will be mine in 2 weeks when they get around to pulling it. Covid 19 and employees taking time off is causing the long delay..

Thanks to the group for suffering through their versions of this trial and posting the solutions. I should have taken it apart first.... Anyone need a g1 transmission? I also have spare hybrid motors, a few battery control modules/engine modules, 2 oil pans, a rear hatch and more parts.

Dave

#22 ·
Please pardon my ignorance. I’m planning on purchasing a flywheel to have on hand and was wondering... the outer ring of teeth... they are only for contacting the 12V starter, correct? We want them to engage properly, but we are more concerned with that central part (splines) fitting properly on the shaft, correct?
Thanks for the clarification!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.