12v battery dead or alternator issue? or else? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Troubleshooting and Problems

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2017, 01:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question 12v battery dead or alternator issue? or else?

Hi there. I have a Honda Insight 2010, around 82k.
I just replaced my IMA battery, and when I turned on the car the 12v battery light come on, and after some time all the lights on the panel started to go crazy.

Explaining: A month ago the IMA light started blinking, so I got a replacement IMA battery with Eli.
I was only able to install it by myself after 3 weeks that I got it.

After installing it and turning the car on, the "Check Charging System" and the 12v battery light started blinking.

I let the car run for 10 minutes and then I drove for other 20 minutes and the lights alternate between being on and off.

The next day I started the car and after a few moments all the panel lights started blinking like crazy. One thing I noticed is that the Steering wheel was not working (it was very hard to make it turn).

I checked with a voltmeter the 12v battery and it was showing 11.85. The battery is an original Honda and it has a sticker saying 10/14

The weird thing is that the car starts without any problem.

I don't know if it is just a new 12v battery issue or if it is something more complex with the electronics (the woman from the battery shop said it could be the alternator)
renacaceres is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2017, 02:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

You replaced the IMA at 82k without ever checking the 12 volt underhood battery? Yikes! Replace that battery asap. If you have never had any of the software updates from Honda, get to a dealer and have those done as well.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2017, 02:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

By the way, the IMA has an 8 year 100,000 mile warranty (10 years/150k in CARB states)
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2017, 05:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egads View Post
By the way, the IMA has an 8 year 100,000 mile warranty (10 years/150k in CARB states)
I'll be damned... it is 100K. I though it was 80K like all the poor failing civics.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2017, 05:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
You replaced the IMA at 82k without ever checking the 12 volt underhood battery? Yikes! Replace that battery asap. If you have never had any of the software updates from Honda, get to a dealer and have those done as well.
Hi Egads, thank you for your reply. Yes, I did replace my IMA battery because on thanksgiving the IMA system lights showed on the panel twice when I was on a trip from Fort Worth TX to Memphis TN (one time on the way there, and again driving back home). After that I had my Check Engine light on al the time, so I took the read the codes and it said Hybrid Battery Deterioration. So after some talk here on Insight Central I decided to get it replaced, because I want to be able to take long road trips with my car.

I have had problems before with the 12V battery before (although now it was fine), and I think that the time it was disconnected while installing the IMA was what drove it completely dead in the end.

So after reading your answer and other threads with similar issues here on the forum, I just went and replaced my 12v battery. Apparently my car is working pretty normal again, running good and beautiful.

Thank you
Old 01-08-2017, 10:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

UPDATE: In the afternoon everything seemed to be work fine, but at night I had to leave for a gig and the battery light came on again.
I think the mistake was that I turned on the heater, and as soon as I noticed I turned it off and stopped a few blocks ahead to talk to a friend that was driving right behind me. The light went off when I stopped, so I decided to keep going, then the light turned on again, and stayed on. I arrived at my destination and left it parked for an hour and half. After that, a couple of minutes after I turned on the car on the battery light came on again so I just did my best to get home as soon as possible. I was afraid that if I left the car on and parked for too long all the lights in the panel would go crazy again and i wouldn't be able to move the car at all.

Is there any chance that the battery is not charging????
Or did I waited too long to install the IMA and it's not working properly? although I haven't seem any IMA light again.

I don't know what can be. I think tomorrow I'll take the car to the mechanics I would have taken if I haven't installed the IMA by myself.

Any ideas??????

Thanks in advance
Old 01-08-2017, 10:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Eli

Send a message via AIM to Eli Send a message via MSN to Eli

I'm sorry to hear you're still having trouble! Hmm. The length of time before installation isn't an issue, and if there was anything overtly wrong with the installation or the new battery, you would have an IMA light with error codes. Does the IMA system seem to work properly otherwise, ie: you get assist and regen?

Does the 12V battery light only come on above a certain RPM?

Home of the BeeMax performance IMA battery.

503-730-8786

Bumblebee Hybrid Fleet:
2000 MT Insight @ 250k; 2001 MT Insight @ 475k; 2001 MT Insight @ 160k; 2001 MT Insight @ 201k; 2003 MT HCH @ 160k; 2006 CVT HCH2 @ 205k; 2007 CVT FEH @ 210k; 2010 CVT Insight2 @ 191k; 2001 MT Insight @ 182k.
Eli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2017, 10:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
I'm sorry to hear you're still having trouble! Hmm. The length of time before installation isn't an issue, and if there was anything overtly wrong with the installation or the new battery, you would have an IMA light with error codes. Does the IMA battery seem to work properly otherwise, ie: you get assist and regen?

Does the 12V battery light only come on above a certain RPM?
Thanks for the fast reply, Eli!!
I confess I haven't paid attention to the RPM.
The IMA battery seems to be good. I can even see the battery charging and assisting the car in the screen. But i must say that I still don't understand enough about it to say properly.

I don't know if the cold makes difference. Or if during the day I should have driven around longer, and at night the lights on didn't help the battery to fully charge
Old 01-09-2017, 01:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
If you have never had any of the software updates from Honda, get to a dealer and have those done as well.
Any Honda dealer will do it? any dealer or only Honda?

I wish I heard about this before, I haven't done that at all.

I have this car since August and I'm really new to cars in general, not to mention hybrids...
Old 01-09-2017, 01:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

I just saw this: https://www.insightcentral.net/forums...1-insight.html

thinking about trying it before the mechanics

The only problem is that I'm not sure if the car can arrive at Honda safely. Is it possible that the car stops after you start driving?

Last edited by renacaceres; 01-09-2017 at 01:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location (Required)
Where you live
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in